Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regen your world 2020  (Read 2860 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Regen your world 2020
« on: December 12, 2019, 01:08:23 pm »

Ok, so, if you have been paying attention to the devlog, coming release has had the majority of it's development focus laid on adjusting the world gen. The reason for this is that the next release is all about villains and villain plots. And to have good villain plots, they need to have access to minions, and that in turn needs to have a good amount of opportunities to recruit minions/flip people.

Hence the year of adding buddies, lovers, trade partners, religions, religious persecution, craft guilds, mercenary companies, court staff and a bunch of other linking stuff I forgot. Not to mention stuff like the alliances, changes to the way towers and demons behave, castles, monasteries and other hidey-holes.

And, I am kinda curious how this will change our worlds. Now, DF allows you to regen a world using the same randomization seeds. This will result in a mostly same world in a given version of DF.

What I am thinking we should do, is to take our worlds in 0.44.12, and kinda collect some stories on what is going on in those worlds. Then, when the next release is out, we'll use the worldgen parameters of our old worlds, regen them in the new version, and check out what has changed.

How to do it:

First, take your world. You will need to collect the following:
  • Export the worldgen parameters. (P in legends mode). This will result in something like region#-world_gen_param.txt in the DF folder.
  • Go into legends and select a few things, people, places, groups, an artifact to learn the story of. Don't overdo it, five interesting points is enough.
  • Write down the stories and make a post here with them.

Then, when the next release is out, take the content of your region#-world_gen_param.txt and put it at the bottom of data/init/world_gen.txt , this will make it available as a possible advanced world preset. Make sure to set "[TITLE:CREATE WORLD NOW = XXXXXXX]" to something memorable, like, [TITLE:The Universe of Dawning] or whatever said world's name is.

• Gen a world using the parameters of your old world.
  • Revisit the places you've told stories about, have they changed?
  • Other cool things you've found.
  • And link between your posts so people have an easy time reading the thread.

I'll try to keep a ToC in this and the second post so we can keep the thread orderly.

Index of worlds

• Therahedwig - Slozgo Sagus, the Universe of Dawning. 0.44.12.
  • Relicspread - Omol Xem, the Realm of  Myth. 0.44.12.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 12:17:26 pm by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Regen your world 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 01:08:49 pm »

reserved
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 03:24:33 pm »

So, here's some examples from my world.

My current world is Slozgo Sagus, the Universe of Dawning.

I ran this world from about 250 years in worldgen, and after that I managed to play till at the least year 279. Here's a few of the key points of interest.

Nestledbeak

Nestledbeak was the capital of the Disemboweled Realm, a human civ. They got into constant fights with elves from the trustworthy jungle of burials (two of the several elven civs in those jungles), who in turn kept razing Nestledbeak to the ground each war. Eventually that stopped, but the Disemboweled Realm is not in control of Nestledbeak anymore, and I can't find them either. My only adventurer I was able to make of that civ spawned on top of a tomb, walked inside the tomb and freed an angry mummy. I wasn't able to make any adventurers of this civ afterwards, and when I came back with a different adventurer, that one too succumbed to the angry mummy who was now prowling the hills around Nestledbeak.

But, what is really interesting about this place is that the town itself is a hive of spies and people hunting artifacts. Whenever I visited with an adventurer it was filled with questers and the legends mode is filled with false friendships being formed there.

So I am really curious what the villain release is going to do to this place.

The Insightful Empires.

So, this is another human civ. and the first thing you'll notice about them is that they're really really really into Romance. Like, half of the randomized adventurer rolls end up with a 'dreams of falling in love' dream. Other than that they haven't done anything interesting, besides getting attacked by a Hydra. So I am curious to see if next release (they don't value friendship and family, only romance) will have a lot of love triangles and jealousy manifest here.

There's also a hamlet here that intersects with the world's only volcano ('intersect' being the main keyword here...), to much hilarity. I wonder if it'll reproduce next release.

The Legendary Swamp

The final area I will tell you about is a region. The legendary swamp is interesting not because of how large it is(but I do think it is the largest region in this world), but because it houses two different Necromancers. On the left, near the mountain ranges is Oilycolors, which holds an old Dwarven Monarch and is a proper Necromancer tower. The mountain ranges are inhabited by said Dwarven Monarch's people, the Boot of Portent (purple-blue). They're under constant duress from the elves down south(yellow), and the goblins in the middle(bright green).

On the right is Knitshoots, which is not a tower, but still a Necromancer camp. This thing is also the reason I had to stop playing this world, because I visited it with an adventurer, and got murdered. But afterwards, that whole region now has dozens of zombie travelers flitting about and ever since my games in this world are really slow.

The towns around Knitshoots are from the Poetic Confederacy, who live at that coast. They're really into knowledge, with Creaturedrove having a HUGE library and two temples. They're not the people the necromancer came from however, he was a previous lawgiver of another human civ which is on the island to the west.

So what I am wondering about this place is how much it is going to be filled with zombies and whatnot.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 03:25:54 pm »

I like this idea very much. How about additionally settling for a single world that can be explored by several people in detail? And we could look at the world in past versions that had huge content jumps.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 04:33:03 pm »

Yes, a single world could be done as well, but I figured that many people have been playing in the same world for the past devcycle now, and have some familiarity with it. So I thought it'd be more fun for people to just share what they have formed a sort of bond with and then how that stuff got affected by everything happening in the devlogs, instead of having to load/gen this one specific world.

That said, you're still free to do this, I'll try to group together the many people looking at a single world in the top post.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 04:52:45 pm »

This sounds very interesting. Not sure I'll contribute myself, since I don't really feel that I currently have any worlds worth sharing, but I'll follow nevertheless. :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 04:55:48 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 05:03:33 pm »

Edit: oh you changed your post, now my comment doesn't make sense anymore.

Ah well, feel free to follow indeed :)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 05:23:01 pm »

This upcoming version adds alot of worldgen stuff so the history seed wont reproduce it properly (it will be completely different)(once you introduce any new rolls the history progression will vary wildly from before the new rolls) (tahts why small alterations to a map generator even with the same seed in game development usually end up wildly different) so i think what will happen is the geography will be the same (since that hasnt changed and happens before history gen)  but lterally everything else will be different. Including town locations. Might get the same megabeasts though.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 05:28:41 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 05:34:25 pm »

Oh, so it's a bust before it even started then? Darn.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 05:34:51 pm »

Yeah, changed it once I realized I misinterpreted what the whole project was about. :P

We can still use this thread to share our general v.45(?) stories IMO, there are bound to be some awesome ones.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 05:37:19 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 06:59:19 pm »

For the record, that's a beautiful map. ^-^
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 09:38:41 am »

We can still use this thread to share our general v.45(?) stories IMO, there are bound to be some awesome ones.
I guess, I'll try regenning either way... Who knows what'll happen :)

For the record, that's a beautiful map. ^-^
Thanks. I spend quite a bit on fiddling with the maps in a graphics editor and then fiddling with a python script to generate a partial svg. Sadly the coolest parts; adjusting the colors and getting the region names on the map, had to be done manually because that type of stuff is really hard to get positional info about from DF. Thinking about getting off my ass and using symbols for the sites next time...

Relicspread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 11:06:56 am »

So I was planning on doing this with my previous, active world but unfortunately an attempt at adventure mode corrupted everything :(

My newly generated world however sure is something!

Omol Xem, the Realm of  Myth

A world which has never seen elves (not even extinct civs), and has only a single, albeit healthy, dwarven civilization. The other two major peoples seem to be doing fine, although The circular Seducer had their sheep fiend overlord imprisoned by one of the Primitive Nations (humans) and has since dwindled down to a population of five goblins.

What makes this world remarkable however, are its thirteen necromancer towers!
The secrets of life and death where revealed independently at three occasions by three different gods. Worth noting is that only the youngest of the necromancer founders, the dwarf Reg Violenceirons are behaving normally. With the necromancer building a tower, taking in apprentices and writing books for the rest of time.

The human necromancer Athrab Fortunejuggles instead remained leader of the nomadic group, The Charcoal Beans, which seems to only have him as a member. He never built a tower.

The leaves the receiver of the oldest slab, Spamo Tellstrap the echidna woman. Founder of twelve towers seemingly never taking on an apprentice. She just travels the world, builds a tower, maybe writes a book or two, raises a few undead, leaves them to administer the tower as she once again leaves for a new tower.

And by the way, I am rather new here, is there a way to attach files to posts on this forum so I can share the world gen parameters?

Finally a map:

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 12:19:42 pm »

Hey, I've linked you from the first post, that's a peculiar world indeed!

No, it's not possible to upload things here, this is an old-fashioned early 2000s style forum. We tend to upload elsewhere and then link. In the case of long bits of text we use the spoiler tags.