Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lye Fumes?  (Read 1796 times)

Dwarfwagen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Lye Fumes?
« on: January 10, 2020, 02:05:55 am »

Im going to guess dwarves do solely cold process soaps, or else the soap factory would generate lye fumes.....

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lye Fumes?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 02:21:00 am »

I suspect if realism were a thing, dorfs would succumb to smoke inhalation long before a lye industry was ever set up.

Tingle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 03:03:16 am »

Nah dwarves snort lye fumes deep into the lung sacks, it makes them grow thicker and more lusciousy beardious beards.
I succumbing to smoke inhalation once. Gateway drug.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 03:16:57 pm »

You can literally seal a fortress off without ventilation forever. Dwarves do not need to breathe, they simply require the absence of water in their lungs in order to function.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 07:50:10 am »

Naw, it's not that dwarves don't breathe, it's that air doesn't work like it should yet. I mean, they can inhale all kinds of things and there's an active [NoBreathe] tag for creatures like the undead. For roleplay purposes, just create large rooms for farms and pastures and pretend that the underground plants are scrubbing the air clean like real ones.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 09:05:03 am »

You can also consider that dorfs have no problem with lead poisoning when using lead cups exclusively and store all fluids in lead barrels. Apart from syndromes that are specifically tailored to create effects, there's no functionality in the game for poisoning (yet) from harmful substances in the environment.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 11:57:29 pm »

as evidenced by dwarves happily living in an enclosed space carved out of a solid pitchblende deposit (ahem. It's uranium oxide in crystal form.), or merrily drinking things stored in a cinnabar barrel.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:01:55 am by wierd »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 04:40:57 pm »

You can literally seal a fortress off without ventilation forever. Dwarves do not need to breathe, they simply require the absence of water in their lungs in order to function.
Alcohol in their lungs however, is vital to their general mental well-being

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 06:36:43 pm »

as evidenced by dwarves happily living in an enclosed space carved out of a solid pitchblende deposit (ahem. It's uranium oxide in crystal form.), or merrily drinking things stored in a cinnabar barrel.

I've been sending solid-lead wind instruments to the elves for years.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 11:20:16 pm »

I don't much question the close quarters of radioactive deposits or things made of mercury- or lead-bearing materials.
Enlarged organs and brain damage are just marks of dwarfishness.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 08:11:31 am »

Close proximity to radioactive, lead-bearing, and mercury filled minerals are all things dwarves need to survive, with out such minerals around the dwarves would surely die.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 01:20:05 pm »

Their giant livers obviously also counteract the effects of radiation and heavy metal poisoning.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 12:49:21 am »

Not the kind of exposure you would get through 3rd stage decay products from the pitchblende walls of their fortress.

Uranium decays into radon gas.
Radon gas decays into polonium, which then oxidizes in the atmosphere to become polonium oxide powder. (after just a few days living as radon.)

Consequences for a fortress:

Dwarves breathing the air will be breathing in radon gas in pretty large quantities. (see the linked article I made for the details needed to make an estimate. It's quite a lot with that much surface area.) That gas will convert into polonium while inside their lungs. This causes the polonium oxide to stick to their lung lining, causing prolonged, systemic exposure to a very fragile tissue.

The polonium produced elsewhere in the fortress accumulates as dust.  When dwarves wet a floor to make "mud", guess where that polonium ends up?  Yup-- in their food.  Being a higher trophic level organism, the dwarves will sequester that polonium in their bodies.

Nopey nope.  Dwarves living in a chiseled out pitchblend deposit are gonna develop a wide raft of radiation related illnesses, including systemic lung and GI cancers.

Since they dont, it's clear evidence that Toady has not implemented such fun.  I personally think he should. :D

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 01:22:42 am »

Maybe all that radon floating around is why dwarves can get so strong, like some kind of radioactive superdwarves.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?