Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions to make the game more challenging  (Read 902 times)

Ploimpy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Suggestions to make the game more challenging
« on: December 30, 2019, 01:33:20 pm »

I think it would be fun to have the option to remove the ability to pause from the game. You would only be able to pause with the ESC key. You would have to designation and play with menus in real time. All full-screen menus would have to be moved to the right side. When monsters and sieges come you'd have to respond quickly or have something prepared and be aware of your surroundings. This would give some usefulness to the patrol system. The game would progress quicker because of time spent with menus. I think this would be extremely Fun

Another idea for an option to have the whole map blacked out except for the vision and memory of your dwarves, like in adventure mode. After citizens view a tile the terrain and objects would be visible the way the dwarves viewed them for a certain period according to their memory skill, in a darker color before turning black again, but creatures would only be seen when in direct view. You could also incorporate the sound markers !!. This would be extremely Fun combined with the previous idea. You would have to make use of patrols and guard towers. I guess dwarves would only path to items that are in memory. Alerts would only happen when enemies come within view of the dwarves.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions to make the game more challenging
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 03:04:45 pm »

I think it would be fun to have the option to remove the ability to pause from the game. You would only be able to pause with the ESC key. You would have to designation and play with menus in real time.

I'm not sure that this part would be possible. I've read that all the pausing serves a purpose for tracking items and paths and without it parts of the game would break. I'm sure someone else will know a lot more about that than I do.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 03:54:18 pm »

Sorry but I don't see the appeal in the first idea. Not being able to pause feels more like a heavy inconvenience than a fun challenge. And the way the game handles time/ticks means the pacing of some mechanics would probably break entirely like Pillbo said. There's a TON of things to manage in Fortress mode, and the game just slipping away from you because you can't pause is not my idea of enjoyment.

The second idea is way more plausible. Personally, I think it ruins the point of Fortress mode, but I can still see some people wanting something like that. I think Prison Architect has a "fog-of-war" feature like that (but most of it can be circumvented with CCTV cameras). So I'm only on board with the second idea.

Ploimpy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 10:53:24 pm »

The most annoying part of the game is spending too much time with menus. This way to game would progress faster in a short time and managing under time pressure things would actually be a huge accomplishment. Think how fun and tense it would be. Fort designs would be way different