Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What is the most efficient way to kill a dwarven civ?  (Read 2420 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most efficient way to kill a dwarven civ?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 12:20:03 pm »

Though re-reading the thread I happen to miss out the bug with raiding which really Really hampers the process of getting new members as all those you recruit to the site would be flagged as friendly when you go back to fort mode and to fix that would require a quick mission to explore a site and back, but since they would never return I guess that crushes my method unless them being friendly still counts towards being part of the new revival of the fort civ.

I've encountered raiding bugs really in a kind of low frequency, the best ones i've heard about are dwarves actually going mad on whilst in the middle of a trip and leading a squad on a rambling wander around the world aimlessly. There's also things to consider like cave adaption which i've read in extreme cases of it stacking up through exposure can actually cause them to pass out but never actually seen it happen.

I've they've died or became locked into a unconcious pool of vomit off site then i guess they're not coming back but that's more a speculative point surrounding that they do evidently suffer from cave adaption nausea travelling over long distances confirmed by Toady and apparently its also inadvisable to send badly coping dwarves out on missions (in-part that fortress mode is always bathed in sunlight)
yeah but at the same time the idea was to get them to join the fort on the mission return back,  if PatrikLundell is right then this set up would end up with the entire squad being lost in the world, though the adventurer probably safe given the game just plops them right back at the player fort or near it when you unretire them.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 12:27:53 pm »

@FantasticDorf: The specific raid bug I referred to is the one affecting dead civs only, and that one is always present. None sent out ever returns or even reaches the destination, as stated above. As Rumrusher noted, it's really hard to conquer someone if you never reach their sites...

(The raid equipment crash bug has killed every one of my 0.44.12 fortresses [5 or so], so I tired of getting crashed just as my fortresses got going (sure, I raided a lot, as that was the main goal for those fortresses). I gave up on DF around February last year, waiting for the Villains release bug fixes and DFHack to catch up before starting a new fortress.)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 01:06:44 pm »

@FantasticDorf: The specific raid bug I referred to is the one affecting dead civs only, and that one is always present. None sent out ever returns or even reaches the destination, as stated above. As Rumrusher noted, it's really hard to conquer someone if you never reach their sites...

(The raid equipment crash bug has killed every one of my 0.44.12 fortresses [5 or so], so I tired of getting crashed just as my fortresses got going (sure, I raided a lot, as that was the main goal for those fortresses). I gave up on DF around February last year, waiting for the Villains release bug fixes and DFHack to catch up before starting a new fortress.)
oh wow, yikes I probably should say what spark my interest back into DF vanilla was from the whole vault stuff which lead to the discovery of an easier recruitment process that lead to being able to move in vault dwellers to a player's fort, but man that sure sucks to hear that bug killed your drive to play DF.

but back on topic, yeah MilComAdv recruiting would require a not dead civ to pull this off so as soon as you revive the civ by retiring the fort or what ever means, you end up uhh not being able to complete the OP's semi apoc scenario of playing a dead civ.

hmm I did notice that my MilcomAdv Recruiting method does clear animal token Sapient beings without needing to send them on a mission so it has some uses in a dead civ world save.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 [2]