Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good USB Game Controllers?  (Read 3832 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Good USB Game Controllers?
« on: January 03, 2020, 05:48:21 pm »

I swear, in the last 10 years I've bought 3 or 4 Logitech game controllers for my PC, and within a couple years each one ends up having problems. The D-pads start sucking. The triggers wear out. The analog sticks start acting weird or develop dead zones.

Anyone got a recommendation for good controllers that are still affordable and reasonably plug 'n play? I want to buy several but don't want to end up dropping several hundred on something that may be finnicky to get working with all games.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Good USB Game Controllers?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 11:45:50 pm »

Official PS3/4 and or Xbox controller?  The wired ones are very cheap anymore. (no, not aftermarket I mean official.)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 07:49:40 am »

I suppose. Would rather have ones actually for PC, but I guess Xbox controllers are the standard pretty much across the board.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 08:44:53 am »

I've had the same Xbox controller for about 4 years. Not heavily used, but has made it through several international moves. Most games will run on it without editing any setting and since it's one of the most widely used, there's 3rd party software to make it work with everything else.

EDIT: it's a wired 360 controller.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 02:11:38 am by delphonso »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 12:36:00 pm »

Look at 8bitdo
I'm looking for another but can't find mine. It's a British made controller that had a left dpad/analogstick pair that was reversible.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 05:17:23 pm »

Second reference to 8bitdo I've heard in a couple days. Never heard of it but I'll give it a look.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 05:27:38 pm »

I've been using an xbox 360 controller for a few years now. Works fine for any games with native gamepad support.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 08:45:07 pm »

Now I remember why I keep buying Logitechs....at $25 a piece, it's a lot cheaper and easier to figure out than the several different versions of Xbox controllers that seem to range from $50 all the way up to $90. The 8bitdo's seem mostly focused at retro Nintendo and Switch gaming, although they do have a few twin stick controllers.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 10:03:31 pm »

I use a wireless xbox controller with a 3rd party wireless dongle for the pc. I saved like $10-15 that way, although I'm not sure if they still have them.

Works much better than any Logitech controller I've ever owned. Wired would be better, if you can find them.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 09:59:56 am »

Wired xbox controllers are 40. 8bitdo are usually under 45 and work on phones and raspberry pi as well as computers. Yes they go for the retro look. The current models have twin sticks.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 03:09:09 am »

Wired 360 and Xbone controllers are probably the best you can get. I got mine for 25 bucks each. They last forever as long as you treat them right and they're compatible with almost anything. Logitech controllers, I find, start breaking down after three years.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 11:39:03 am »

I absolutely prefer wired everything, because my PC isn't portable. Wired things don't get left in another room, and they don't use battery. However, to save money, wires are usually 1-2 feet long or less (less than half a meter?), which is useless for many things, like controllers and headphones.

Always check the wire length when buying things.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 11:54:27 am »

Yeah, and it's amazing how many spec sheets on Newegg don't include that bit of info. I also prefer wired, I buy most of my stuff with extra long cord lengths when I can.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 06:13:06 pm »

I'd like to specifically recommend wired Xbox 360 controllers (as some others have done) they work on every operating system, are pretty hard to damage or have fail on you, and they're very ergonomic--frankly I prefer them over the new Xbone controllers slightly, and much over anything less substantial like PS 3/4 controllers or anything Nintendo (although the Nintendo Pro Controller is pretty good).
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.