Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to contact my neighbors  (Read 5243 times)

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to contact my neighbors
« on: January 13, 2020, 08:22:38 pm »

I want to do some trade with the humans and elves (for now), but they arent listed on the civ screen. I can see some elven retreats and human hamlets around. Is there any way to make contact with them other than sending a raiding party?

EDIT for bonus question:

There is one other dwarf civ who has all the royalty as nobles. Do I need them to die off somehow to take those positions, or can I just my fortress' success up to a point where I will inherit them?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 08:27:26 pm by evanvolker »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to contact my neighbors
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:01:41 pm »

(c)iv screen only lists the civilizations your fortress has come in contact with so far. They'll come if they're nearby.
You can also check before you embark on the embark screen who your actual neighbours are (unless they all die or something).

When you reach a a certain amount of wealth the king will move to your fortress. In the meantime he'll send an outpost liaison to promote your dwarves to positions like baron from time to time as you progress. Occasionally a Dorf might inherit a position when someone dies out in the world somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 10:06:37 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 10:26:11 pm »

Great, I super appreciate the help!

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 02:14:36 pm »

I managed to force them onto my civ screen by sending someone to demand tribute from them. Might be the start of something good, or all out war. At least im getting the recognition I deserve!

Edit: Getting trade caravans from both elves and humans now
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:07:05 pm by evanvolker »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 05:09:33 pm »

Yes, making demands is said to be a way to get to know your neighbors (I've never tried it myself), and as far as I understand you can then get into (hopefully peaceful, if that's what your after) contact with civs that weren't the ones implicitly indicated by the civ screen, i.e. contact with multiple goblin (always hostile, of course), elven, human, and dwarven civs.