Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants starting deadly fights without consequences  (Read 1102 times)

Pakkanen

• Bay Watcher
  • Try some alchemy!!
    • View Profile
    • Second Phase Software
Migrants starting deadly fights without consequences
« on: January 04, 2020, 11:16:34 am »

Started testing out the newest version (0.44.12) after a long break. So this relatively young fort (125-127) got a migrant wave recently. Soon after I started getting announcements of dorfs being found dead.
It appears non-berserk dorfs are killing each other. I've tried to investigate and the only similarity seems to be that the other combatant is a fresh migrant who has arrived in my fort in the year 127.
I hastily created a jail and assigned a hammerer but these fights dont seem to be registering as murders. I also cant put down these fights with squads because I cant target the brawlers with the kill command.

About 14 dead dorfs later this stopped and I have no idea what the cause was. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a bug or a feature? :D
Save is shared in my google drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11Ga4lUwmh1nJ8l9XDT3lJcNQlfdtyStE
~Volvo kauhee laiva tehoo täytyy olla liikkuu joskus BMW ei ikinä perä vaivaa mese joo mut ei riitä hitsi lanka voi otta sellasen

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants starting deadly fights without consequences
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 12:13:57 pm »

Probably a bug, possibly stress-related. The stress system is infamous for working a bit too well in the current version, Toady's been meaning to tweak it.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 06:10:27 pm »

Bug report:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9286

Although there's still some uncertainty as to whether it's a bug. Not appearing on the reports page probably is a bug. Fistfights not being a crime, probably not a bug (they were added intentionally when taverns where introduced). Crushing someone's skull during a fistfight not being a crime.....probably should be at least acknowledged.

I think "Tie-ins with fortress justice if things go badly" was one of the features postponed for time (or perhaps just didn't work) during that arc (it's marked as purple (partially complete) on the development page). Kind of more important to deal with than Tavern Games (the postponed feature most people talk about from that arc) in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 06:19:47 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

âbirtobul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 02:37:37 pm »

Started testing out the newest version (0.44.12) after a long break. So this relatively young fort (125-127) got a migrant wave recently. Soon after I started getting announcements of dorfs being found dead.
It appears non-berserk dorfs are killing each other. I've tried to investigate and the only similarity seems to be that the other combatant is a fresh migrant who has arrived in my fort in the year 127.
I hastily created a jail and assigned a hammerer but these fights dont seem to be registering as murders. I also cant put down these fights with squads because I cant target the brawlers with the kill command.

About 14 dead dorfs later this stopped and I have no idea what the cause was. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a bug or a feature? :D
Save is shared in my google drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11Ga4lUwmh1nJ8l9XDT3lJcNQlfdtyStE

I had this happen in a fort I believe. I spent a looong time researching all the brawlers. There was a large family, one was part of a treasure hunting group, there was a visiting treasure Hunter, and a different family member visited as a mercenary and petitioned and swore fealty to our fort. It started between migrants and visiters and then drew in a Miner who pickaxed the few survivors. I could detect no cause, searched for hours tbh. Blood and bodies everywhere in the tavern.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 04:35:26 pm »

I had this happen in a fort I believe. I spent a looong time researching all the brawlers. There was a large family, one was part of a treasure hunting group, there was a visiting treasure Hunter, and a different family member visited as a mercenary and petitioned and swore fealty to our fort. It started between migrants and visiters and then drew in a Miner who pickaxed the few survivors. I could detect no cause, searched for hours tbh. Blood and bodies everywhere in the tavern.
People fight in the taverns (and library) after arguing. It's a feature of the taverns arc. That it gets lethal and there's no combat report is perhaps a bug.

Also there are edge cases. These were toned down after a previous report (fight started because someone's grandfather had been part of a bandit gang who someone else's great-uncle had a run-in with once upon a time, or something) but I guess might still happen from time to time. A little annoying not being able to see the cause).

Check if visitor's civ is at war with you too, of course.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:39:50 pm by Shonai_Dweller »