Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarfs only engrave a cat killed by an elf  (Read 1592 times)

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dwarfs only engrave a cat killed by an elf
« on: January 05, 2020, 06:19:26 am »

So I am in the process of engraving my fortress. As you know detailed walls and floors tell stories about dwarf accessing noble positions, the foundation of a fortress, and X killing Y. In my fortress X is always some elf, and Y is a cat. More specifically:

This is everywhere in my fortress. I don't want to have a fortress with laughing elves everywhere on my walls.

Is that a known bug?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarfs only engrave a cat killed by an elf
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 07:06:33 am »

If it's every single engraving, then yeah, that's a bug. Not a known one. Upload the save to the bug tracker if you can.

Historical events (like this one) are meant to appear, but not everywhere.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 07:09:09 am »

So I am in the process of engraving my fortress. As you know detailed walls and floors tell stories about dwarf accessing noble positions, the foundation of a fortress, and X killing Y. In my fortress X is always some elf, and Y is a cat. More specifically:

This is everywhere in my fortress. I don't want to have a fortress with laughing elves everywhere on my walls.

Is that a known bug?

Not really, its a little bit of a funny feature.

You can designate images yourself by using D before the artist comes over to finish (if you are on a more recent game-version) but it is kind of a known factor that dwarves who haven't heard very much news will be quite repetitive with their accounts of events. This can happen especially if you meta-disable dwarves knowledge of events outside your fortress in the DF folder files on d_init i think.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 07:12:09 am »

Is that a known bug?

You can designate images yourself by using D before the artist comes over to finish (if you are on a more recent game-version) but it is kind of a known factor that dwarves who haven't heard very much news will be quite repetitive with their accounts of events. This can happen especially if you meta-disable dwarves knowledge of events outside your fortress in the DF folder files on d_init i think.
But you'll still get images of shapes, images of cheese, images of bugs, dwarves labouring, dwarves surrounded by dwarves, etc.
Engrave an entire room including the floor and there's no way in an uncorrupted game that you'll get 100 engravings of an Elf killing a cat.

OP is either having a laugh by designating an image of an Elf laughing because they think people will be amazed, or is actually suffering some unknown bug.

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 08:14:10 am »

But you'll still get images of shapes, images of cheese, images of bugs, dwarves labouring, dwarves surrounded by dwarves, etc.
Engrave an entire room including the floor and there's no way in an uncorrupted game that you'll get 100 engravings of an Elf killing a cat.
Yes I do get images of some shapes, events, etc.. But images representing a fight systematically involve this particular laughing elf and this particular cat. This is why I suspect a big

OP is either having a laugh by designating an image of an Elf laughing because they think people will be amazed, or is actually suffering some unknown bug.
It was indeed a touch of humor.

I thought about that, but I have a tavern, and I am constantly under attack by elves and goblins, so I am sure they must have more to say
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 08:18:31 am by San-A »

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 07:19:38 pm »

I wonder if there was any relationship between the artist and the cat?  It'd be interesting if it was one engraver mourning his lost pet.
My walls usually feature militia captains weeping when they get replaced.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 08:27:08 pm »

I dont even care if this is intentional. Just the visual of a complex fortress plastered from floor to ceiling with millions of the same image of some guy stabbing a cat made me laugh. Thank you.
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion