Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creature won't load despite having no errors? SOLVED  (Read 1052 times)

Lurksquatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creature won't load despite having no errors? SOLVED
« on: January 05, 2020, 10:22:42 am »

I'm trying to add starfish (among other animals) into Vanilla DF, and I've run into a perplexing snag. My starfish don't appear in the object testing arena, but when I check the errorlog, nothing shows up about them. I did a ctrl-F search of the entire document, and didn't find a peep about them. There were a bunch of errors relating to the custom body I gave them, but I've already fixed them. The game didn't know what fuchsia is, so I removed that color from the creature. I even changed the name from STARFISH to SEA_STAR to see if maybe that was the problem. Every single error it once had has been tracked down and eliminated, but it still doesn't show up.

Here's the raw for my starfish:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the raw for it's custom body:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On a side note, either the animal person or giant variant crashes the game outright when I try to go into the arena, but I haven't even started dealing with that yet. I'm hoping fixing the base creature will correct whatever that problem is. I'm stumped. Any ideas?

EDIT: I realized I forgot to give them a brain. The custom body used to have it's own THOUGHT token, but I had to remove it to make it work right. Before you ask, no, giving them brains didn't make them appear in the arena.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:26:35 pm by Lurksquatch »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Creature won't load despite having no errors?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 09:02:28 pm »

Are you sure they're in a file that opens like this?

Code: [Select]
plaintext opening line

[OBJECT:CREATURE]

and then your creature goes here.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Lurksquatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 10:45:21 pm »

Are you sure they're in a file that opens like this?

Code: [Select]
plaintext opening line

[OBJECT:CREATURE]

and then your creature goes here.

Yes. They're in the creature_ocean_new file from the raws. All of the Vanilla creatures found in that file work perfectly, as do the other modded creatures I've added in. I simply added a plaintext line like this:

--modded--

at the bottom of the Vanilla list before adding in my modded creatures. I have modded creatures in several files with the same format that all work perfectly. Only the starfish are bugged. It's bizarre lol.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 10:57:15 pm »

Maybe it's because it's tagged with VERMIN_GROUNDER? Vermin can't normally be spawned in the Arena.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Lurksquatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 11:18:35 pm »

Maybe it's because it's tagged with VERMIN_GROUNDER? Vermin can't normally be spawned in the Arena.

Yeah. That did it. And now I feel stupid lmao. Thank you.

I still have to see if the animal/giant variants work. I'll update this thread with any further starfish related issues.

EDIT: Starfish people and giant starfish work perfectly. Thanks again.

In other news, giant starfish seem to be hilariously brutal combatants, at least when fighting unarmed dwarves. Five arms apparently equals five times the number of joint locks lol.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:26:18 pm by Lurksquatch »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Creature won't load despite having no errors? SOLVED
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 02:58:28 am »

Glad it worked out!
My mods and forum games.