Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Very small mod : dwarven stress relief - SSRI edition ©  (Read 1769 times)

Datura

• Bay Watcher
  • Klaatu! Barada! Hrmhrmhrm!
    • View Profile
Very small mod : dwarven stress relief - SSRI edition ©
« on: January 06, 2020, 04:27:12 pm »

Hey guys !

Just a quick thing I made for personal use but thought might be of interest to some of you :

It is a (very) small mod to help relieve the huge amount of stress befalling dwarves since a couple patches.
What it does is use a syndrome to apply a personality change, reducing stress vulnerability.

First, add the following in your raw/objects/material_template_default.txt :

[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SSRI_TEMPLATE]
    [STATE_COLOR:ALL:CLEAR]
    [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen serotonin]
    [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_LIQUID:serotonin]
    [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_GAS:boiling serotonin]
    [SYNDROME]
       [SYN_NAME:Serotonin boost]
       [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
       [SYN_CONTACT]
       [SYN_NO_HOSPITAL]
       [CE_CHANGE_PERSONALITY:FACET:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:X:PROB:100:ABRUPT:START:0]

Where X can be anything from -1 (for a negligible effect) to -100 (for complete immunity to stress). I use -30 with good results.

Then, in your raw/objects/creature_standard.txt add this red text under [CREATURE:DWARF] :

[...]Some additional materials.

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SWEAT:SWEAT_TEMPLATE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:TEARS:TEARS_TEMPLATE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SPIT:SPIT_TEMPLATE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SSRI:SSRI_TEMPLATE]

[SECRETION:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SWEAT:LIQUID:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN:EXERTION]
   [SECRETION:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:TEARS:LIQUID:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:ALL:EXTREME_EMOTION]
   [SECRETION:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SSRI:LIQUID:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:BRAIN:CONTINUOUS]

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
      [CDI:ADV_NAME:Spit]
      [CDI:USAGE_HINT:NEGATIVE_SOCIAL_RESPONSE] [...]

From now on your dwarves' brains will continuously secrete serotonin and help mitigate the amount of stress they experience.
The only "downside" is that it is shown in their inventory as a coating of serotonin on their brain but that's not so bad now is it ?

This can of course be modified to apply any syndrome you can think of, beneficial... or not  :P

Hope this helps  ;)

KassaK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Very small mod : dwarven stress relief - SSRI edition ©
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 08:32:44 pm »

Hi,

I'm trying your mod, because for me all that stress is not FUN at all, I abandonned my last fort because of stress.

But, what you mean by " I use -30 with good results." ? What is good result for you ?

I use the same -30 value and for now (no siege yet) all my dwarves are happy, even if they only drank water for a while, poor meeting hall with no table and no chair, all my militaries train H24 no pause and they are happy too and my Fisherman under rain and outside is the happiest guy !

Isn't that a bit much -30? Or else I'm too used to having my dwarves stressing all the time for nothing.

Do you have any feedback on one of your games ?

Thanks !

Edit : After an undead siege it's the same all my dwarves are ok, somes dwarves has "Stress Level -50K", I think it's a lot, they will be happy forever.

If I change the -30 value I need to generate a new world ? I don't wantto remove the stress mechanic but simply lower it

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:42:02 pm by KassaK »

Datura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 10:14:49 am »

Hello,

I guess what works for me may be a bit overkill for others.

I like to have my dwarves relatively stress-free unless they have it really rough, like a family member or friend dying, really terrible living conditions or a years-long war with a ton of casualties.
I'm not one to whine about every little thing, and I want my dwarves to be like me... and come one, they're dwarves, not wimpy pointy-eared hippies  :D

If you want to change the value to something less effective, like -20 or -10, without starting a new game you must change it in your save file raws located in :

<your DF folder>/data/save/region#/raw/objects

Hopefully this will be more to your taste  ;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 10:18:59 am by Datura »

KassaK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 06:13:08 pm »

For me it's better with the solution found in the wiki : https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stress#Altering_the_raws

Lower the maximum stress possible, so "you can get stress problem but it's more manageable".

With your mod some dwarves are totally immune to stress, whatever happens : if you set "-30", each dwarf with 30 or less in STRESS_VULNERABILITY are totally immuned.

But thanks anyway and have FUN! :p

Datura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 06:44:15 pm »

Yes, I've seen the wiki article, but I wanted to try something else since the dwarves' personality (including their STRESS_VULNERABILITY) can change over time.

I must have had mostly dwarves who were very prone to stress to begin with, not to have them become immune like yours :P

I guess the problem stems from the fact that the syndrome is constant and has no end... it would maybe be better to apply it for like half a day when they eat a certain food or something.

This was my first attempt at modding by myself, so I apologize for its poor quality in hindsight :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 06:50:57 pm by Datura »

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 07:28:40 pm »

You could try adding the syndrome to their tears instead so they feel stress relief from crying.