Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29

Author Topic: Of Ghosts and Whispers: a Suggestion game  (Read 27680 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Of Ghosts and Whispers: a Suggestion game
« Reply #405 on: February 26, 2020, 02:25:32 pm »

You're doing a valiant job of keeping up with the madness of your players! I'm curious to see what happens from here.

"Woah woah woah, cat, little explanation before you get with the touchy-feely. You saying I used to be some kind of servant of yours?"
+1

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 26, 2020, 02:27:52 pm »

I'm enjoying this just fine. Keep up with the good work!
What happens next? More unrefined madness and confusion I bet! It always ends in more madness and confusion.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 26, 2020, 05:56:59 pm »

You're doing a valiant job of keeping up with the madness of your players! I'm curious to see what happens from here.

"Woah woah woah, cat, little explanation before you get with the touchy-feely. You saying I used to be some kind of servant of yours?"
+1
I'm enjoying this just fine. Keep up with the good work!
What happens next? More unrefined madness and confusion I bet! It always ends in more madness and confusion.

Time slows down, and freezes. The bodies look like like half-melted ice that has been re-frozen.

’Hah ha. A little presumptuous, are we?

A black cat appears, almost as though it formed from the darkness. It walks over the bodies towards you, and sits down on a half-melted head, looking you in the eyes.

No. Until only a few short days ago, I didn’t know you existed. Something very much like you passed through this very City not long before then, but when you came to be as you are now, a beacon was lit inside you. I’m definitely not the only Higher Power that noticed you, though. For all I know you might have been a servant of any one of them, once. Maybe that’s why you were here.

The Cat gestures with its head across the corpse-filled landscape.

’This is all from your memory. Most dreams are. It’s a twisted, shattered memory though. It could be partly or all abstract, or it could be several memories mixed together. It was an important memory for you, though, that much is clear. Memories are strange things, especially for an outsider; a little further in, and I can’t navigate it. Whoever’s hand this is, abstract or literal, and whatever choice you made, your memory of it is... mixed up. Not certain. Conflicted. Whatever happens next will be quite interesting.’

Hah. Whatever dreams you may have had, I assure you they weren’t mine. I take some pride in the quality of my dreams. Besides, your mind has been busy and the screams are practically deafening, I don’t see how anything extra could have fit. You are on my altar now, and I assure you, confusion may be inevitable, but I started doing this 3,000 years ago as a mad old Woman in a tiny hut full of cats giving advice to others by divining their dreams. I didn’t stick around this long by being bad at it.

The cat approaches you, and beckons towards the outstretched hand with its head.

’So. Would you like to make a choice?’
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 26, 2020, 06:08:42 pm »

"It seems I misunderstood your intentions, madam cat! Very well-- let us discover together where this dream-story may lead."

Take the hand!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 06:31:45 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 26, 2020, 06:26:44 pm »

Huh, that actually worked.

We refused. We lashed out at the hand to refuse it. This was all its fault. Does it think it could force us to return like this? We'll never be a slave again. From here on out we will be our own master bowing before none. Even if it means poverty. Even if it means being hunted. Even if everyone else looks at us as if we are insane. Even if it means becoming insane. Even if we sink into the abyss here. We live free, or we will die trying.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 26, 2020, 06:41:35 pm »

On second thought, I like that better.

"It seems I have misunderstood your intentions, madam cat!" (Bow.) "Very well-- let us have done with this mountebank, and discover together where this dream-story may lead."

Strike the hand down by any means available to us. "Hyah!"

klonk
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 27, 2020, 05:54:47 am »

"It seems I have misunderstood your intentions, madam cat!" (Bow.) "Very well-- let us have done with this mountebank, and discover together where this dream-story may lead."

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 27, 2020, 06:50:21 pm »

+1

We refused. We lashed out at the hand to refuse it. This was all its fault. Does it think it could force us to return like this? We'll never be a slave again. From here on out we will be our own master bowing before none. Even if it means poverty. Even if it means being hunted. Even if everyone else looks at us as if we are insane. Even if it means becoming insane. Even if we sink into the abyss here. We live free, or we will die trying.
"It seems I have misunderstood your intentions, madam cat!"
You bow.
"Very well-- let us have done with this mountebank, and discover together where this dream-story may lead."

The world begins to move again. The hand beckons, coming closer as you sink ever deeper into the melting bodies.

You raise your fist. It’s hard to do, you’ve sunk almost to your waist. As you feel your legs and torso descend quicker and quicker into the dark sludge, you hear words coming from the Cat.

Wait, what do you mean by We?

Your fist makes contact.

You are standing in a vast cave, the roof only barely in focus, and the unspeakably distant walls unseen save for nearby natural pillars. A few paces behind you is a vast chasm with no visible bottom, a few paces in front of you is a cadre of heavily armed Soldiers, all details hidden underneath their heavy armour, and right beneath you is a tall purple figure, face dark with blood. The soldiers instantly rush forward and grab you by the arms as they help the figure up.
Sir, are yo-
I’m fine, I’m fine.
The purple figure looks at you. Beneath a thin veneer of exhaustion, their rage is welling up.
Toss him down with the others.
... yes, Sir.
The Soldiers holding onto you you drop their guns and swords to grab you with both hands and drag you towards the edge. They’re reluctant to do this.
You want freedom? Take your fucking freedom. You can have all the freedom you want, and you can have it at the bottom of the Lighteater’s abyss. Goodbye.

You feel the ground beneath you disappear, and you fall. Tossing and turning, flailing wildly, the lights above disappear as darkness fills the world, and what feels like hours pass. As your eyes desperately adapt to the darkness, you see something in your vision, becoming clearer and clearer by every second, standing out even in the pitch dark for how utterly black it is. Bells begin to ring, echoing through your mins as far below, you see the black liquid; a sea of darkness spreading out in every direction, getting bigger and bigger with each passing moment. You scream in the last few moments before you hit it. The water tastes of salt.

You wake up.

The bells are still ringing. People are running. Someone is taking boards of wood and covering the Temple building’s windows. Some parents come running in with their children, as people carrying massive kites run out in the opposite direction. The rain has stopped, but the sound has been replaced with screams and bells. A Human man in a state of barely-concealed spots you waking up and yells at you.

‘Son’t just lie there, do something useful! Beasts are swarming, you idiot!’

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spellcasting (click to show/hide)
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 27, 2020, 06:57:40 pm »

Who? What? Where? When? Why?
Beasts? Of what nation?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 27, 2020, 07:00:02 pm »

We can figure out what's going on later. People need help now.

Spring to our feet. Drop the crazy act for once. "My methods are unorthodox sir, but I've some talent in the closing of wounds. Have we any injured in the building?"

klonk
Sigtext

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 27, 2020, 07:06:39 pm »

"Its uh, the royal 'We'. Because we are our own king now or something. Yeah sounds legit."

-------

"Right, you ask a random hobo to help you save the town and I'm the idiot. I'll just go get my hobo shank and start stabbing necks. How rude of them, interrupting my chat with the nice kitty god..."

Stand up, brush ourselves off, and look for someone who is injured. They can explain what is going on while we dance-heal them.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 28, 2020, 04:14:14 am »

Spring to our feet. Drop the crazy act for once. "My methods are unorthodox sir, but I've some talent in the closing of wounds. Have we any injured in the building?"
+1 Dance out healing dance!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 28, 2020, 04:18:14 am »

+1

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 29, 2020, 06:52:23 pm »

"Its uh, the royal 'We'. Because we are our own king now or something. Yeah sounds legit."

-------

"Right, you ask a random hobo to help you save the town and I'm the idiot. I'll just go get my hobo shank and start stabbing necks. How rude of them, interrupting my chat with the nice kitty god..."

Stand up, brush ourselves off, and look for someone who is injured. They can explain what is going on while we dance-heal them.

+1
You jump off the plinth.

"Right, you ask a random hobo to help you save the town and I'm the idiot. I'll just go get my hobo shank and start stabbing necks. How rude of them, interrupting my chat with the nice kitty god... My methods are unorthodox sir, but I've some talent in the closing of wounds. Have we any injured in the building?"

The Man shakes his head as his hands fidget, seemingly without him noticing.

“No! They aren’t here yet, you ne-‘

Outside, clearly visible through the wide open doors, a vast, dark shape begins to form on the horizon beyond the distant rooftops, twisting, splitting, merging, swarming. Someone screams. For just a moment, he freezes up, a look pf pure terror in his eyes. He turns to you, white as a sheet, and grabs you by the shoulder, dragging you out of the builsing, into the small courtyard, and through it into the larger one with the shrines and the twin stone buildings, to a group of three Greencloaks carrying massive longbows and intricately detailed arrows. The courtyard has about five people piloting massive kites; whenever one stabilizes in the air, it starts producing a high-pitched whistling. As you catch looks over the tall buildings, you spot more kites, in every direction, high above the city, in constant whistling chorus. The vast black shape beyond them is getting bigger.

The Man regains the use of his tongue finally, to the relief of the anxious Greencloaks, and starts spluttering out words.

‘She’s a healer I think I don’t know please gods help me...’

The Greencloaks make audible thinking sounds for an instant before one speaks.

‘If you can heal people, stick here or head down to the Arch at the Market Square, then brace for impact. Can you do that? If you can’t, then grap a kite, we need all hands working on this, and we need it now!’

The wind is strong, the ground is wet, and the air is cold. You feel groggy after waking up, but you’ve felt worse.

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spellcasting (click to show/hide)
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 29, 2020, 08:30:08 pm »

"Sticking here it is-- when my services are needed, I will be ready."

Look to the sky.

klonk
Sigtext