Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: [44.12] Meph's ☼Warlock Tower☼ - V1 - Be more evil!  (Read 23918 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Meph's ☼Warlock Tower☼ - V1 - Be more evil!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 03:30:57 pm »

Tame intelligent creatures can be selected for positions if they were born in the fort and grown up. Beak dogs aren't normally considered intelligent though unless an interaction adds intelligence, and then they must have been born intelligent to qualify.

Dfhack related bug?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2020, 12:10:04 pm »

Oh yeah, the beak dogs are missing the PET tag. :/
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2020, 12:52:26 pm »

Been playing for a few years now and generally having fun. My inner architect loves being able to whistle up hundreds and hundreds of blocks at the drop of a hat and having the built-in megaproject gimmick of a cool tower is nice for keeping me interested in building things with them. That said, I've noticed a few issues:

-The big one is that being able to get civilized souls from renewable prisoners removes a lot of the incentive of conflict that previous Warlock versions had. Now that sieges are easy to trigger with the new civilization menu, there isn't even the issue of needing dfhack or unusual worldgen to get invasions. My suggestion is just make prisoners sterile, so you can get a nest egg of souls at embark or more from summoned warlock caravans without getting infinite souls.
-Of course, imps need to be a lot better for it to be bearable to play without as many civilized souls for the first little while. Currently they require clothes to not get super stressed out, are unable to learn skills, are completely useless in any kind of combat, die of old age in only a few years and slow to a crawl whenever they start carrying anything. My suggestion would be making them at least move quickly when carrying heavy things, so they make decent haulers instead of awful ones.
-Bone meal creates both a full-fledged boulder out of bone and a ton of boulders in one reaction. This leads to weird stuff like making gargoyles entirely out of bone meal. Maybe bone meal could be a powder/tool that has a special smelter reaction to make pig iron/steel with, instead of just being a normal flux boulder?
-From the description in the guide I kind of assumed that each of the upgraded Necromancy buildings would still have the functionality of the lower tier ones, which wasn't the case at all.
-It'd be nice if there were separate reactions for making imps, soulforged bars and so forth with animal or with civilized souls. You usually want to use animal souls for them, to not cut into your precious skeleton supply, but you have do stockpile feeding and other chores in order to make sure you don't accidentally use up civilized souls.

And of course a few bugs:

-The skeleton profession sprites seem to be a bit off, on stuff like the skeleton clothier sprite I was seeing part of another skeleton profession sprite on the edge of the tile.
-The gargoyle making reactions and I think a few other boulder consuming Warlock reactions/workshops don't seem to respect economic stone. I almost made a gargoyle out of 15 hematite boulders, before I noticed and stopped the reaction.
-The potion brewing reactions in the alchemy building just brew a drink normally, they're not specific to the type of mushroom at all.
-The value requirement for the Overlord tomb is a little weird in that it wasn't enough to just have a Grand Mausoleum, I had to get some extra value even past that to fulfill it.
-It's a bit weird that Crypt Lords have room requirements and such, but you can also just assign a skeleton to be a Crypt Lord so they'll never actually complain about it. It also makes me wonder whether you can assign a skeleton to be a very demanding noble position like an Overlord in order to skimp on building expensive rooms.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 08:02:45 am »

ptw

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 08:27:04 am »

That's amazingly detailed feedback, thank you for that. :)

How is everyone else faring, any cool things happening ingame in longer forts?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 08:59:56 am »

I've played with it briefly, planning to do a more in-depth fort this weekend and will give feedback. Tempted to do a Lets Play of it actually

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2020, 10:04:18 am »

I've been having loads of fun so far. Ran into a few hiccups as I didn't know what was important; ended up using valuable human bone to make stuff, instead of saving it for skeletons, etc. No crashes either on creating skeletons (4 so far).

For the reactions that can make do with animal souls instead of civilized souls, it would be nice to have a separate reaction; right now, pretty much every thing using bones and souls has to be managed by complicated stockpile-linking to make sure you don't accidentally waste the important stuff on some meaningless craft elsewhere. It's a bit high on the micro-management side. I wonder if there's a better way to handle those special ressources, putting them in another category? Though it would be weird then not being able to use say human bone for anything BUT skeletons. Not sure. Still setting up stockpile links for now :D

I'd like some more information on a couple of things.
Prisoners: At what age do babies of the various races become adults?
Pets: A general description in what the pets are used for would be neat. What can be trained for war? Sheared? Milked? Lays eggs?
Summons: Imps seem very weak and yet quite demanding when it comes to ressources; clothes among other things. Ghouls fare a bit better on that front. Skeletons are obviously amazing as they don't eat (or I haven't caught them doing it :D). A description about it would be neat! Also, any difference between say human, dwarf, elf or kobold skeleton? Can I expect the kobold to haul stuff at half the speed, humans to be the best fighters, etc?

Basically, I really love your guides that accompany Masterwork, and give some more insight into _why_ I would want a particular thing. Right now I know I can get the things, but I'm not making informed decisions at all :D It's been very fun though! I _really_ love the summoning of the aether materials, though I'm not a huge fan of the "glowing" (it seems to pick a random sprite among a number of variations when you move the camera, to simulate the glow. I find it a bit jarring personally; though not hugely offensive either!).

I haven't yet delved into any of the advanced stuff; magic, turning into a vampire, necromancers and whatnot. Or even gargoyles for that matter. But it's been super fun so far. My tower is nice and round, and 12 levels high. Overlord has the top floor for himself. The floors below that are split in two and go to other nobles. Then the floors below that split in 4 and go to regular warlocks. Below that, the altars and stuff. And some workshops of various sorts that warlocks use. Below ground, the tower shape extends, but dug and smoothed, with the workshops where no warlock is meant to go. Stuff is hauled by non-warlocks between the tower and the underground. Only exception is on the first floor below surface where I hold prisoners and do farming. (Though I'm thinking I'll have that work go to skeletons as soon as I get more!).

Building the tower is great fun with aether blocks!

REQUEST: Please do something about the aether doors. I'm making a nice violet tower of doom, but the doors are dull and grey. I'd like them to have some color too! :)

Cheers, and thanks for the mod meph. I feel like it will hold me over until the next DF release quite nicely, and probably even beyond that!

Special note: I do enjoy that feeling of "vanilla" with a different playable race, instead of full fledged masterwork, too. It feels quite different, less chaotic and very focused on the traditional DF experience. I fully expect and look forward to Warlock Tower to be integrated into masterwork at some point, though I'd urge you to keep a vanilla-warlock-tower version around too. It's soooo good!

Anyway, how's your trip going, and how long will you be travelling the world this time? Please be careful in what you're doing; climbing mountains and stuff, that sounds dangerous to a simple human like me. Though perhaps you're more dwarven than I am!
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2020, 04:23:01 pm »

For the 'glowing' you have to ensure you have TWBT on and in the forced redraw mode. type twbt redraw_all 1 into the dfhack window. It makes things made from ethereal blocks and a few other things glow.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2020, 04:15:26 am »

Thank you I'll try that later. No files I need to change? Just enter the command?
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2020, 05:50:44 am »

Thank you I'll try that later. No files I need to change? Just enter the command?
Just enter that command into the dfhack window where you'd run any other script or commands like autolabor.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2020, 04:50:57 pm »

It enables all animations (just look at water, magma, gems, or torches...) but it's also unstable and can lead to crashes. That's why it's off by default.

All the requests noted. I'll write a more detailed manual once I do an update for this.

Trip is till March (?) with 14 mountains. 4 done so far, pretty rough actually. Lots of jungle bushwacking, taking an hour for less than half a mile, stuff like that.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 04:56:30 pm by Meph »

justas246

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2020, 07:07:30 pm »

Hey Meph, will this be added to masterwork dwarf fortress?

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2020, 09:54:26 am »

Oh boy, that's a lot of mountains! Well be sure to enjoy your voluntary trip of hardship; it's not for everyone ;)

@justas246 I'm pretty sure I read somewhere warlock tower will be integrated into mw once the steam version is out. So that's presumably quite a while off.

I never played anything but dwarves and humans before in mw myself (what can I say, I like what'sfamiliar), but this mod really makes me want to try all the cool custom races at some point.

Meph, I wonder if there's maybe merit in making imps restricted to dumb labor, but making them somewhat less pathetic at it. I'd personally be totally on board with them being only haulers, I think that would be quite fitting. Also I don't really think of imps as requiring clothes. Unless they are jesters :D thought of relaxing their needs a bit by removing clothing, but restricting them to hauling/placing constructions and furniture? Also unless I don't noticed it, they don't appear to fly? Flying imp haulers building a mighty tower, that sounds like a warlockey thing to me ;)

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2020, 06:39:23 pm »

Is blood extraction borked for anyone else? I have stacks of prisoner meat but it won't let me run the blood extraction reaction at the kitchen, saying i need Unrotten FRESH_BLOOD_MAT item. I wonder if this is a problem with the mod not coming bundled with generic meat like full blown masterwork used to have.

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2020, 10:26:43 pm »

Also for some reason my "Brew death cap potion" reaction is causing my apothecary to grab plump helmets and make dwarven wine despite having death caps availible. I think it might just be a generic brew drink from plants job. Also noticed that the aether gate spawns ten of anything you conjure, not just blocks. Useful for easily decorating a fortress but sometimes you just want two tables and not ten, you know?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5