Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: [44.12] Meph's ☼Warlock Tower☼ - V1 - Be more evil!  (Read 24040 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Meph's ☼Warlock Tower☼ - V1 - Be more evil!
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2020, 04:07:50 am »

Very rudimentary forms of prototype for the new DFhack are out there, will you be waiting for a stable version of DFhack47.02r<?> before updating this mod beyond 44.12?

Interaction summons running off a script prompt will be interesting, as they help nessecitate actions such as spawning the many servants and miscallaneous creatures you can have (additional arguements allow them to be historical contributive), oh not excluding the quasi magical powers of undead lieutenants that could be transferred.

And uh, necromancer experiments are on the table i guess otherwise if we could polymorph our slaves & captives.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2020, 09:26:46 am »

I'm not able to do anything till the second week of March. Not near my PC or laptop atm. Mountaineering. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

velle29

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2020, 05:04:32 am »

Couple notes for bugtesting:

*The terrain tiles under the necromantic monument would sometimes change to some kind of partial sprite map when I hit the arrow keys in that area.
*I wasn't able to find a configuration for the obsidian or slade factories to accept a lava-filled channel tile. I thought at first the fire altar might have created 'schlava' essentially but the glassmaking magma workshop seemed to accept it.
*The kiln has a submenu for forming sandstone, in which the tasks are labeled as creating clay items, requiring only sand and no clay or fuel. So that's clear as mud.
*An undead siege appeared and immediately disappeared. The necromancer with his artifact scroll attempted to sneak in anyway and was identified as a hostile human, who attempted to flee. I rushed and killed him for his loot, which gave the warlocks death-related negative thoughts and such.
*Also, warlocks sent on a raid to recover a ghoul prisoner haven't returned after about 12 days despite the target village being less than half a day away (and having easily raided the same village for livestock repeatedly). I don't think the pack is to blame but I'll mention it anyway.

I do sort of wish raiders could recover the corpses of the villagers they killed in the raid reports if they had room left for spoils, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's borderline impossible.  ???

The save follows. Be advised it was a test save so the layout is an absolute eyesore. The village is two tiles north and one west on the map I believe if you want to look at it.
https://yadi.sk/d/YvFK4uO8s6IH9w

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2020, 11:51:32 pm »

You've accidentally given every prisoner type the dwarf    "[RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:LIVER:300] Of course!  Standard relative size for humanoids is 200." from the dwarf raws.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2020, 09:04:57 pm »

It was a human skeleton. Also sorry if I'm reporting a lot of issues, one last thing, I've been training a squad of skeletons for about 3 seasons and none of them have developed skills past dabbling, save for some of them being better at dodging. That and they all just have the status "Individual training/Resting" constantly, turning off resting for the barracks does nothing, and no matter how long they rest they're always tired. Disabling all labors and having them on inactive just means they "train/rest" in their free time instead of sleeping in a bed or anything related to 'resting'

Encountering a similar problem, my warlock that I put in the squad is a Legendary maceman while the closest skeleton is Novice. I think skeletons don't gain exp properly from training, since that Novice skeleton seemed to have achieved his combat level through killing a gray langur. Initially I thought this is intentional (because they appear that they are mindless skeletons) but after noticing skeletons gain non combat skills just fine I wonder if it's to do with the squad being edited somehow since it has a cap of 100 and not 10
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:06:46 pm by Kars »
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

Taras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2020, 11:03:21 pm »

Will warlocks be more evil if they start smoking cigars? Sorry, if my suggestion is terrible.

RazielReaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2020, 04:34:16 pm »

I don't think prisoners should be gelded or have their souls changed to be nerfed. They bring increased food cost and other things. Perhaps it would be better if it were optional to nerf them, sort of like a challenge mode.
After all they still cost points, they still need to be fed, etc

Jaso11111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Emperor protects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2020, 02:25:53 pm »

Is the bone forge supposed to pump out equipment 10 at a time? The Gate did it too, but i assumed that's just its own thing.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2020, 02:55:30 pm »

I think that depends on the size of the stack of bones.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Taras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2020, 04:22:58 am »

I think that depends on the size of the stack of bones.
So, will you add cigars to warlocks? They exist before 1400 year.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2020, 11:29:58 pm »

Are cigars evil?

I'd rather add pipes to dwarves. ;)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2020, 04:15:27 am »

A shesha pipe made out of a human skull is most definitely evil, through bone-forging the trade good i guess.

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2020, 06:33:55 pm »

ive had my flying city of Mwetalbad (Deathworshipped, appropriately randomly generated) for 31 years. initially the plan was to just let it run indefinitely but ive started having constant save corruptions, can barely make it through 1 year now without having to make and load 5 or 6 back ups. earlier it was because of save compression, and fixed for a while after turning it off, but i think the quicksaves and autosaves have done something weird to the fort, or maybe it's just an accumulation of 150+ skeletons with crashes. i don't really know, but it's become unplayable, so i'm retiring it.

some pictures:

the fort underneath to protect the entryway
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
above view of the city, it doesnt reflect in armok vision but the square platforms hold the various rituals to raise the dead or use the various magics
view from the ground
iron men make great sentries, i have at least 1 in each tower with the hatch locked
the very bottom floor, containing the hospital and the temple to the north (all furniture made out of silver, the beds were modded in)
the entrance with the dining room and kitchen, featuring one of the many, many ghosts i was too lazy to memorialize (plus i felt having them float around the fort was thematically appropriate)
barracks and training area just under the entrance, housing the 100+ skeletons, all of whom were slowly outfitted with all soulforged gear over the course of about 20 years
area just south of that where the corrupted elf squad lives and trains, all soulforged gear, as with the skeletons. the elves were used as a home defense force and rarely went out raiding, not a single member of that squad has less than 120 kills, and the highest is 172. as such, they're the only ones besides the warlocks who are allowed to have silver furniture. their swordsman levels ranged from the lowest at Legendary+86 to the highest at Legendary+101. i guess thats what happens when you have 25-ish years to just train all day
at the top level we have the bedrooms of the 3 most important warlocks, the sorceress supreme (who was initially our expedition leader but usurped the title... somehow? not sure, but it was cool thematically since my fort is easily the most powerful of our civilization), the steward, and the keeper of knowledge. below this level lie the other 10 bedrooms, all with silver furniture of masterwork quality, which took an absolutely ridiculous amount of silver to pull off considering the rooms all have cabinets, weapon/armor stands, at least 4 statues, a silver bed, 4+ chests, and a sarcophagus. but one advantage to being at war with literally everyone is you get a lot of goblinite/dwarfite/humanite to facilitate these stupid dwarf warlock tricks. this particular bedroom belongs to the sorceress supreme
i included a library, but it's empty save for a slab we pillaged from a vault, cause i've never had a scholar before and severely underestimated how long it takes to write a damn book. was going to raid for more, but started getting this corruption all the time, and i just don't have the patience to deal with it lol

overall, i actually feel the mod is as well balanced as something can get in dwarf warlock fortress. not being able to get any new warlocks makes me care way more about their wellbeing than i normally care. ive been annoyed at the loss of a legendary dwarf before but knowing you can get another in like a year stops it from being much more than that - an annoyance. early on, i almost lost a warlock because i wasn't paying attention, and it would have delayed my fort tremendously, which made the risk feel much greater.
add on top of that their frankly ludicrous demands for their rooms and their constant mandates, it can make their moods hard to deal with early on.

in terms of the entities added, forgotten beasts seem to have really weird behavior. they never fight back, against anything, ever. not even hostile invaders. and caravan guards attack them after you bring them out of their cages, so you have to wait for the caravan to leave. it's odd, and i'm not sure what causes it. i thought i'd be clever and put a bunch of forgotten beasts behind floodgates then open them with a lever to kill invaders, except, the forgotten beasts just milled around while the elves smacked them to death with sticks and such.

skeletons and ghouls are good additions, but, skeletons are superior to ghouls for one fact: they don't get stressed. i think using some kind of df-hack script to force ghouls to spawn with the kind of personality you'd assume a ghoul to have (high violence, low stress vulnerability, lack of anxiety because they're more like animals than people, etc) would be good, if it's indeed possible, because it is a little surreal seeing a slavering cannibal go into a mental breakdown at the sight of dead bodies, though funny.

the corrupted variations of the races are very cool, but i would remove the max-age from them all because if you're going for a long fort as i was there's not really any point to making corrupted humans since they can die from old age so early. dwarves have less of this problem but still i would pick elves and goblins so i can see them doing the most stuff in legends when i retire the fort.
there seems to be a glitch currently with the squads that stops them from gaining any combat exp from training. it only affects the base squads you start with (the 4 horsemen squads and the 100 horde squad), normal 10 man squads made from the "create squad appointed by this leader" function don't have this issue.

the metals are well balanced, i thought soulforged would be easier than steel to obtain but i found i was wrong. it's very strong on morningstars. i don't really know the exact !!SCIENCE!! behind it, but the piercing+blunt nature of the morningstar just seems to fit perfectly with soulforged. it would maybe be even better if you couldn't use animal souls to make it, but i don't know if that's possible to restrict.

the magic system is very useful, though i found that between pyromancy and geomancy only the former was viable to fight people. the spells from geomancy didn't seem to do much, while the fireballs are... well, fireballs. i didn't experiment with necromancers or werebeasts or vampires, but i plan to make my next fort either an all-werebeast druid grove or an all-vampire blood knight type deal.

the things i would change are minor little tweaks like listed above. i don't think this mod has any huge glaring issues (outside of technical ones but those aren't your fault, it's just dfhack being weird). things i would like to see added? maybe an ability to resurrect megabeasts and semi-megabeasts, like giants, cyclops, and dragons, at an altar that costs soulforged bars to make and requires the soul of the creature in question. the thought of a towering skeletal giant crushing an army of humans beneath its bony foot is incredible. possibly an expansion of the magic system, like aquamancers and such, but it's really not necessary.

i think where the mod succeeds most, however, is in it's overall theme, atmosphere, and design. you don't feel like you're playing reskinned dwarves - it really feels like a race of evil eldritch creatures who see people as tools and not living things (which i guess is also a way to describe the average dwarf fortress player). if i was a new player and this was a race you could choose besides dwarves i would not expect it to be a mod. the design and assembly of the way the warlock fort works is cohesive and doesn't feel bloated or haphazard. can't wait to see what you'll do next with it and how it might possibly fit into another masterwork release

edit: i've found why sometimes meat isn't recognized to be used for extracting blood - it's because it's in barrels. non-barreled meat is used just fine. two food stockpiles (one for unbarreled meat that you intend to use for blood extraction) is advisable

DOUBLE EDIT: i had the idea to try extracting the warlock fortress zip into another new folder and then copied a "corrupted" save into that folder, and... for some reason, that fixed it. so, i guess if anyone else starts having constant corruptions, extract the zip again into a different folder and copy the save into that new one
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:19:05 am by Kars »
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

Taras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2020, 08:32:37 pm »

Are cigars evil?

I'd rather add pipes to dwarves. ;)
You know: big rich villain that smoke big cigar. But if you will make cigars, please, make them edible not only by general civs, but also for carnivores, I like play as foxman.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2020, 01:54:54 pm »

randomly found this mod (yay). played the ooooold warlicks years ago quite a bit and liked them alot.

still early in trying out so cant say much about stuff yet.

had a few crashes, but the autosave function is pretty handy so you dont have to save&quit and reload all the time. (maybe df should add something like a normal save option in its menu.)

i noticed a "masterwork.settings" file is in the folder, but its not the "usual masterwork" .exe for adjusting .ini files etc.

another thingy i noticed is the tile transparency is weird ... if i move the view left/right is doesnt work but with up/down it does work (i.e. stockpile under items or grass under workshops)

and as a side thing i randomly noticed:
think i noticed a random plant next to a necromancy circle is displayed differently with different view screen positions, but no clue what that is about... might just be some weirdness with the randomness of dispayed things. (like how wood logs look 3-4 different sprites... maybe random scrubbery also has it or so)

edit:
-yea some tiles are even animating (i think they shouldnt by default? like one square of limonite ore in a vein or one etherial wall is glowing or such). guess that all the similar gfx "problem" as the random transparency stuff.

-and there is a "space" missing in the bone longsword info text when you craft it at the bone forge.

-i think the tanner workshop option to just create free humen prisoners is a bit cheaty... not sure if that should be there or not. feels too good to just get endless bones/humansouls/animal souls from that.
saw in the manager orders screen also options for dwarfs etc but seems just the "human male" option activated a tanner job for it. human female didnt.

-saw a warlock with "likes forgotten beasts for their ,"  well with nothing listed for what they like them for... guess it picked some weird thing a beast has that has no text or shouldnt be liked? *shrugs*

-it seems souls look like "crowns" why not give them their own gfx? (well if is possible, but with how many new gfx there are why shouldnt it work for souls?)
still cant find out how to setup a stockpile for them... they just sit at the butchers shop so far.  there are some "human-filled" or so options in the stockpile screen but either they arent it or i didnt get teh right ones yet hah.

-i think imps cant be hunters or woodcutters cause they "lack a weapon skill" ?  they seem able to be mining with picks though.
also seems they make "small" cloths/armor... what is a bit a confusing mess when one snatches a workshop, but guess can be avoided with the workshop profiles.

-i saw i can make bone halberd, pike etc at the bone forge, but cant make them out of iron or bonemold etc at the metalsmith forge.

-as a suggestion:
it would be cool if the etherial floors glow up when something walks over them. and then slowly fade out so it leaves a bit of a trail.
with my bit bugged out gfx and random floors and walls "randomly glowing" and not all at once (i guess that would be how it would look like normally) i got that idea.

------------------------------
on the fort side of things:
took ages to get 4 souls for the aether gate (2 years!). butchered the embark two prisoners and made imps out of them and most of the time i just get goose and ravens and all sorts of flying animals so cant hunt them really for souls. but managed to get some boars in some cage traps once and from there the endless etherial block job keeps going now and the tower comes along well so far.
13 warlocks, 1 mephit (the other died at a hamlet (give us tribute) raid), and 4 imps.
so all the summoning is still taking ages. (year 3 now) did demand tribute at some 10-20 pop hamlets around my place and got a "rope" and a "golden toy hammer"... oh well :D
but also got 2 sieges of 10 dudes each already (pretty basic people, just few iron armor bits, one siege even had most just recruits with no weapons) and a bunch of them did also go in the cage traps.
right now figureing out how to best murder them as they are "stuck" in the cages. think i dump-pit-drop on spikes-in a room with bladetraps-and send some warlocks if someone survives that room.
and then i got souls for ghouls... guess i go with a 10 ghoul fighty squad i can throw at things and go for skeletons a bit later.
also once i got souls coming in more gonna try out the magic altars... maybe can magic more mephits there or so... or get pets from the liasons adn ordering caravans? well also needs souls.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:19:33 pm by Nelia Hawk »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5