Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stop dwarfs from going to an area  (Read 695 times)

qratz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stop dwarfs from going to an area
« on: January 07, 2020, 03:31:38 pm »

Hello, I am starting to make a whole secondary home at a very deep floor, only for miners, in order to take all the adamantine and then send it up via minecarts.
Everything is fine, I have 2 dwards borrowed there, they only work there and all that, but random peasants keep coming down to the damn earth bottom spending a day in the stairs just for drink from the miners stockpile while they have their very own tavern upside or dumb things like that. I have tried blocking all the doors but they keep coming though the minecart path.

Do I need to create another burrow and link on it the others +190 dwarfs manually or is there another less annoying way?
Thank you so much for your help!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stop dwarfs from going to an area
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 05:19:48 am »

The reason for them going to the miners' stockpile is probably because it's "closer" than the topside one. I believe DF calculates distance for job assignment purposes as the dorf digs, i.e. the distance between the 3D coordinates, rather than the distance along paths.

Setting up pathing costs can direct which path dorfs will take, but won't affect the destinations chosen (as the path is calculated after selecting the destination, not as part of the destination selection process).

Thus, your only tool is probably burrows or completely separated mining crews (where the minecart path is blocked for dorf access e.g. with statues if the minecarts are propelled, or pressure plate doors if the carts are guided by dorfs [and I don't actually know for sure if dorfs will refuse to guide carts if the path they're supposed to guide them along appears to be blocked, so that might not even be possible]).

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 05:46:55 am »

definitely sounds like a job for burrows.  A good chance to learn them in safety too.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 12:04:11 pm »

I haven't found a way to stop dwarfs from traveling great distances to obtain specific goblets and specific booze, so I centralize my booze stockpiles and no longer create small booze stockpiles for distant working areas.

If you do use the method of creating two separate burrows and you are using dfhack, you can create two separate burrows in a minute or two using macros (give the miners nicknames, create two empty burrows, run one macro to fully populate one burrow, then use another macro on each burrow to find the miner's by their nickname and toggle them). Of course, new dwarfs are a problem.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 09:08:44 pm »

Hello, I am starting to make a whole secondary home at a very deep floor, only for miners, in order to take all the adamantine and then send it up via minecarts.

If your goal is increasing mining speed, you'd be better off assigning a few extra miners instead of creating a "secondary home". If your goal is role-playing, "efficiency", etc. then you will be fighting dwarven autonomy every step of the way.

You can block minecart tracks with statues to prevent dwarves from walking on them while allowing pushed or ridden minecarts through.