Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you have more than 1 lever connected to the same thing?  (Read 615 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
Can you have more than 1 lever connected to the same thing?
« on: January 10, 2020, 02:14:26 pm »

What I want to do is to make an auxiliary control room in case fun happens to the first one.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can you have more than 1 lever connected to the same thing?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 03:21:33 pm »

Last I knew, you could. You can also have several things connected to one lever, in case of sieges. Combining those 2 things can make tracking if a lever opens or closes something somewhat more complicated.

If you really want to get weird, you can have one lever connected to one object several times using multiple mechanisms. I think that was used for repeating floor spikes (each pull would move the spike up and down a few times, plus you'd have the lever pulling on repeat).

It's been a while since I've done anything particularly interesting with levers, so I may be misremembering.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 05:02:02 pm »

As stated, you can. If you e.g. want to atom smash prisoners, you can hook up e.g. 3 10 tile long raising drawbridges to one pressure plate so they run over the plate on their way to "freedom", only to get smashed by the bridges. I also have an override lever hooked up to the same set of bridges to lower them when a bugger ends up standing on the pressure plate, preventing the pressure plate from sending a lowering signal.

You can't hook up the same thing to the same trigger multiple times, though, as the one(s) already hooked up are removed from the list of targets (there may well be ways to effectively hook things up multiple times by using intermediaries, if you happened to find a use for it [multiple triggers for the same action typically result in the extras just not doing anything, so an override for a drawbridge may well require you to order it raised while it's already raised, resulting in nothing, in order to set things up for a trigger to lower it with a second pull]).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 08:56:45 pm »

Hooking multiple levers to the same machine is definitely possible, though you'll need to be aware of the fact that levers send "ON" and "OFF" signals, not "toggle state" signals (though Mechanisms treat both of these signals as "toggle state", and cages + chains + supports treat both as "deconstruct").
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.