Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trees dying and falling / felling  (Read 776 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trees dying and falling / felling
« on: February 08, 2020, 05:00:33 pm »

I've heard of dead trees in evil regions, but I've never seen a tree die beyond the sapling stage in fort mode, so maybe I'm mistaken here.

I'd like to see trees have a small percentage change of dying annually, standing dead trees could also have a small percentage chance of falling annually.  I think that scattered fallen trees would make forests feel more alive and interesting. Adding obstacles to maneuver around while providing hiding places and cover for both dwarves fleeing and invaders/ambushers attacking.  Large multi-tile trees would be serious barriers and obstacles, and possibly even be hollow and act as animal dens or shelters/homes for adventurers. Of course any downed trees could be cut for wood. 

I'd go one step further personally, though I'm sure some people would not like to see woodcutting take longer.  It would be cool for a woodcutter to fell a tree, then cut it again to turn it into logs.  This way you could attempt to route enemies with fallen trees, cut off dangerous paths, make stream crossings, or try to wall in a farm or pasture with downed trees.