Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Militaries move slow  (Read 1300 times)

KassaK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Militaries move slow
« on: January 11, 2020, 10:48:15 am »

Hi,

All my militaries (except one or two) are very very slow to move, like the are moving a rock (or two).

And I have no ideas why !

I have a military dwarf with no particular skill (bad armor user and bad agility), equipped with full iron/steel armor and he moves very fast.
I have another military, same equipment, very good skills and he moves like turle.

So for me it's not related to Armor User and Agility skills.

I tried to remove breasplate and keep only mailshirt but it's the same.

They are not particulary injured, maybe they are too stressed.

Do you have an idea for me ? What I need to check ? My militaries are unusable right now.

Thanks !

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Militaries move slow
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 10:55:25 am »

Just like when they haul anything it's also about strength ;)

As long as they keep training all dwarves can eventually get strong enough to move normally in full armor.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

KassaK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 11:11:24 am »

I don't know if it's about skills like I said I have a dwarf with no skill at all and he moves fast, and another skilled dwarf move very slow...

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 01:23:15 pm »

Have you compared their agility? Agile dwarfs will move faster when the dwarfs are not slowed by weight. Watch a swarm of migrants running to your booze, or many dwarfs hauling light items, and you will see agile dwarfs move faster and not-agile dwarfs move slower..

This wiki on movement speed says it involves more than just Strength and Agility, I think it works like "if you disliked being in the military and disliked the idea of killing, would you rush into a fight? What about if you liked to brawl? And, if you were lazy, would you try to work fast?" And, there may still a bug that a dwarf will continue to haul an item when their military squad is activated.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 08:49:07 pm »

I have a military dwarf with no particular skill (bad armor user and bad agility), equipped with full iron/steel armor and he moves very fast.

Does he have the mining, woodcutting, or hunting labor enabled? If so, he'll dump his military equipment when changing to his civilian uniform. The green checkmark in the military equipment interface means that equipment has been *assigned*, not necessarily equipped. You can (v)iew (i)nventory to see if your fast dwarf is actually wearing all the assigned equipment.

The best "fix" for slow armored dwarves is practice. You can speed things up by limiting the assigned armor initially (no breastplates, no duplicate layers, etc.). Also, ensure that they have a barracks and are actively training, not hauling junk around the fortress.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 10:15:34 pm »

This definitely sounds like low strength to me. Check your slow dwarves to see if they are "weak" or "very weak." A suit of armor weighs a lot, and if you aren't strong enough to carry it no amount of agility or armor user skill will help.

As other have said, best solution is to keep them training: if you haven't already, set up barracks and set your military to train there. Let them watch and spar for a year or so, and their strength will probably increase substantially - at least enough to let them wear heavy armor.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

KassaK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 07:04:22 am »

I abandoned my fortress, it was incomprehensible.

I checked everyting, skills, equipments, stress, injuries... and no idea ! ^^