Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New type of Insanity - Mania  (Read 1159 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New type of Insanity - Mania
« on: December 30, 2019, 02:55:04 pm »

Insipired by the biome-based moods idea, a dwarf could go into a Mania when they snap from unfulfilled Moods while in a unstressed/happy state.  It would be especially relevant if these type suggestions were ever included.

Good biomes:
<dwarf> is overwhelmed with positivity!
[...]
<dwarf> feels a rush of productivity!
[...]

A dwarf sent into a Manic state could obsessively do some activity while neglecting themselves until death.  Unlike current Insanity types they could be drinking, eating, cleaning, hauling, socializing, dancing, singing, smoothing stone or even continuing to work at a claimed workshop turning out trinkets (obsessed with creating the Artifact that got away) until they starve or are hauled away by the military.

I would imagine for this to work you'd need to make it possible for a creature to eat itself to death.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:59:19 pm by Pillbo »

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
Re: New type of Insanity - Mania
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 04:39:56 am »

I was hoping this would get more attention. I see absolutely no negatives with this, and I'm not just saying that because this is somewhat related to my suggestion.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 07:07:25 am »

It had 100% attention from the only person who it actually matters to have attention from. As did all of the suggestions on these pages. Doesn't matter if a whole load of forum people debate the merit of it or not. Toady either makes uses of it or he doesn't.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 05:11:35 pm »

I was hoping this would get more attention. I see absolutely no negatives with this, and I'm not just saying that because this is somewhat related to my suggestion.

Thanks, it's nice when people agree or show interest but ultimately posts in this forum are the equivalent of saying "Hey Toady, here's something to consider", so it's really no biggie if there aren't any replies from other users. No replies are lot nicer than people showing up to tell you they think it would be a bad use of time or just plain dumb!