Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allow/Forbid hunting of specific animals  (Read 1543 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Allow/Forbid hunting of specific animals
« on: January 13, 2020, 02:01:59 am »

I don't know if this was already suggested in the past, because searching for the word "hunting" gives me 28 pages of search results, but here we go:

There should be a menu where you can designate which animals your hunters are allowed to hunt. Don't want your hunters gets their guts torn out by the swarm of giant eagles flying outside your fort? Don't want your hunters to be dragged into water by alligators and become a snack for them? Well, just forbid to hunt giant eagles and alligators from the specific menu!

I'd personally put the menu into the "Set Orders" tab: Set Orders -> (H)unting Restrictions -> (a)llow/forbid hunting of animals -> The list of known non-sentients you can butcher.

There also can be other options, like (d)eliver to the Butcher's Shop/specific Refuse stockpile...

Again, I apologize if this was suggested in the past and/or is gonna be implemented. If that's the case, I'll just lock the thread.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Allow/Forbid hunting of specific animals
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 01:41:58 pm »

This would be great. It would also be useful for role-playing purposes, you could forbid 'sacred' animals based off religions or fortress/civ symbols for instance. 

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 02:44:34 pm »

This would be great. It would also be useful for role-playing purposes, you could forbid 'sacred' animals based off religions or fortress/civ symbols for instance.

Indeed, it might even be a request from internal groups.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 04:49:21 am »

"Urist, why did you kill that beak dog, you wretched heathen?"
"It wanted me dead and it had a goblin ridi--"
"A spanking and a season of being locked in the +golden cage+ will do you good for your blasphemy!"

External groups as well! We need to make elves more annoying than before!

"Oh hey, dwarves! How about you stop hunting mountain goats? Their population in this region is below two hundreds!"
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 03:21:34 pm »

"Oh hey, dwarves! How about you stop hunting mountain goats? Their population in this region is below two hundreds!"

"Sure, we agree to that." *Queues up 20 more hunters.*

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 03:33:27 pm »

"Sure, we agree to that." *Queues up 20 more hunters.*

*Remove any limitation to elf hunting*
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."