Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Training  (Read 734 times)

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Training
« on: January 13, 2020, 06:06:58 pm »

I've read that danger rooms are death now, so I'm trying to design a tower where my military can train without cave adapting.

How far can dwarves dodge?  I don't want them dodging outside the tower to a drop.

Can dwarves dodge more than 1 z level?

Will a dwarf dodge a z level and horizontally in one dodge?

Another question.  Is it worth it to trade to the elves for exotic animals?  Should I just use dogs?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:23:34 pm by Mathalor »

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Military Training
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 06:30:40 pm »

As far as I know dwarves only dodge one tile at a time, and only on the same z-level. A simple wall (not fortifications) should prevent dodging off the tower.
There is, however, a known bug where charge attacks can cause creatures to "phase through" single-width walls. Since training dwarves will sometimes use charge attacks while sparring, you may find your soldiers "pushing" each other through the walls and outside the tower. If your barracks is too high up (or, as in my case, surrounded by a moat) this can have disastrous results. I think building walls two blocks wide should stop it, but I'm not sure - it's probably best to just not have the barracks in a dangerous place to begin with.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 03:46:15 am »

You could always just train them safely underground and put a patrol or two in their schedule to force them outside once or twice a year.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 04:25:02 am »

You could always just train them safely underground and put a patrol or two in their schedule to force them outside once or twice a year.

Or expose the underground to the sun then re-roof it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 05:23:55 am »

Or expose the underground to the sun then re-roof it.
Yeah, that works too, although somewhat less fun for rp.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 11:34:36 am »

Yeah, that works too, although somewhat less fun for rp.
Use glass.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 12:32:12 am »

Trading with the elves is worth it. Dog pregnancies are capped after 50, so with planning you will have about 80 or 100 wardogs, and they are not that effective, even against elves (once a few are killed during a fight, some of the others will become useless due to fear). But the more important benefit is that the elves will bring foods that may meet your dwarf preferences, and tame animals that can be used for pets or food.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?