Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Ex-Christian Thread  (Read 11145 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Ex-Christian Thread
« on: January 13, 2020, 11:30:45 pm »

Thread for ex-Christians to talk in and for discussion of anything related to their experience of deconversion from Christianity, or life afterwards, or just doubts/questions, etc. Anything at all goes really that's related to ex-Christianity. Please be respectful and do not attack anyone.

Anyone is welcome of course; that's why it's "exchristians thread" and not "exchristians' thread."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Ex-Christian Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 01:16:46 am »

Ex-christian? More like X-Christian am I right
Love, scriver~

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 01:28:53 am »

Thread for ex-Christians to talk in and for discussion of anything related to their experience of deconversion from Christianity, or life afterwards, or just doubts/questions, etc. Anything at all goes really that's related to ex-Christianity. Please be respectful and do not attack anyone.

Anyone is welcome of course; that's why it's "exchristians thread" and not "exchristians' thread."

I don't mean to be dismissive, but is there something about deconversion from Christianity that you feel wouldn't fit in the more general railgun thread?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 07:37:12 am »

I am curious though if this is really "disgusted by the local churches in my area and/or the way I see Christianity portrayed in the media" or truly "I once thought Jesus of Nazareth is divine, what the Jewish would have called the Messiah, and died on the cross to redeem mankind with God the Father, but now I don't."

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 08:16:52 am »

My quick 2 cents as a Danish registered atheist growing up in a strong local Christian culture is:
That I fully support the teaching of the carpenter Jesus, - but I don't believe in any divine beings.

As ex-Christian I guess you can say I have switched a 'religion' based guideline for living with the philosofical of Kant's Categorical imperative.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categorical_imperative
But what I believe can be elevated to universal laws is very much influenced by the compassion of Jesus.

So if there was a 'church' that was just a discussion circle for how to be good towards others, and meditation for unburden yourself instead of 'prayers', then I would be fully member.
I almost feel more devout than most cardholding Christians, as they have to be paid with eternal life, whereas I just want to do good for doing good.  :)

In short: Even as a non-believer, then Jesus (and not necessarily the organized church) has some pretty good teaching on how to live a life.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 09:19:07 am »

Am I technically ex-christian if I used to be in christian grade school?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 10:23:30 am »

I figure you can consider yourself an ex-Christian if you once felt the motivation to go to church and then changed your mind.

Because growing up, I was basically told what my religion was supposed to be. Had to be taken to church rather than having a legitimate desire wanting to go. I personally had made up my mind about Christianity by the time I was 9 or 10, but it wasn't until I was 16 or so that my parents/grandparents let me actually make the choice for myself.

Which, considering the fact my grandfather was a pastor, seemed pretty ok to me, given how things could have gone instead.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 10:25:20 am »

Because X is the symbol of Christ
Love, scriver~

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 10:52:22 am »

I don’t know if I’m Christian or not. I grew up in a Village where nobody cared enough. There was a general acceptance of Science and Religion without much butting of heads. I ended up becoming what everyone else was/still is: Generally hopeful/believing of/in some higher Power, but not bothered about it all that much. I’ve never considered myself religious or an atheist, and I’ve never been in a situation that made me want to consciously go to either end of the spectrum, but every day that passes, I get more and more convinced that God might actualy be Yog-Sothoth.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 11:16:37 am »

I am curious though if this is really "disgusted by the local churches in my area and/or the way I see Christianity portrayed in the media"

Boy am I tempted to post some recent experiences with this, but it sounds like the thread intention really is to focus on the change in beliefs more than this.  Suffice to say that I started researching how to report a church for 503c violations for preaching politics, but couldn't find it registered on the IRS website and probably couldn't prove it.

Anyway, more on topic, I was raised in rural South Carolina where kids are dragged to church and largely forced to be Christian.  For a long time I embraced it as a kid out of fear, since everything I was taught effectively led me to believe that I could have a random bad thought only for Jesus to return in the rapture the next moment out of spite to leave me on Earth and doom me to burn in Hell forever.  Eventually I got over that and came to believe that the flavor of Christianity around here has more negative than positive impacts on people, but it pains me to know I can't be the only one who felt that way.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 11:41:16 am »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 12:59:25 pm »

Athe is Love, Athe is Life!

I imagine I had a pretty different experience from most folks in this thread because my mother and her parents practice a syncretic mix of Spiritism and Ubanda while my father was a sort-of-rebel Catholic (as in, he practiced pretty much all the rites but despised the Church).

I myself figured out I wasn't Christian (or Abrahamic, rather) when I was in my early teens. Being mostly ignorant of the non-Abrahamic faiths, however, I declared myself atheist and was a bit of a shit about it. I am not saying "Atheists bad", but that I was the kind of atheist that is better described as anti-theists.

After a bunch of faffing about for years with a bunch of religions, I eventually arrived where I am now as a Hellenist and am content.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 05:06:29 pm »

I am curious though if this is really "disgusted by the local churches in my area and/or the way I see Christianity portrayed in the media" or truly "I once thought Jesus of Nazareth is divine, what the Jewish would have called the Messiah, and died on the cross to redeem mankind with God the Father, but now I don't."

In my case it's the latter

I don't mean to be dismissive, but is there something about deconversion from Christianity that you feel wouldn't fit in the more general railgun thread?

Now that you bring it up, I'm conflicted on that point... let me think about it a bit
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:14:44 pm by Eschar »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 06:31:50 pm »

So X-christians is like christ-christians
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 06:36:59 pm »

X-christians are clearly variable christians, though. X is a variable. Christ could equal X, but so could like goat-humper or somethin'. It's a versatile designation.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11