Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Arch Linux Tileset Bug  (Read 2976 times)

mag

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Arch Linux Tileset Bug
« on: January 14, 2020, 11:56:16 am »

First, apologies if I'm in the wrong subforum for this.

I have a tileset problem. I'm using Mayday, but I'm not sure if the bug is with Mayday specifically or with Dwarf Fortress itself.

A few things in particular stand out. The first is that the dwarves are all colored silhouettes, which is incorrect - as you can see, the Miner is using the correct Mayday sprite, but the others appear to be bugged. The second is that all the animals are using letter representations, instead of the animal sprites that Mayday comes with. I have confirmed that the files with the correct sprites exist in the raws/graphics folder.

If it helps, I'm running Manjaro Linux, having installed Dwarf Fortress (non-graphical) from the AUR.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Arch Linux Tileset Bug
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 12:11:18 pm »

The first is that the dwarves are all colored silhouettes, which is incorrect
Delete or rename /raw/graphics_example.txt in your bay12 folder (and also your data/save/<your save>raw/).
That's the example file (and the graphics) from Toady himself and it takes precedence over your custom installed graphics (alphabetical order?).

The second is that all the animals are using letter representations, instead of the animal sprites that Mayday comes with
Please make sure that not only the png files exist, but also the appropriate text files that tell the game which graphic to assign to which animal.
In the AUR I only see some packages with graphic sets installed so it's hard to check remotely.
For reference, created worlds get their own copy of the raws (see above), so remember that when you're trying to fix your issue.
Also, here's the documentation for graphic sets:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Graphic_set

If you have trouble understanding what the issue is, you can post screenshots of your raw folder and paste the text from the text files here.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

mag

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Arch Linux Tileset Bug
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 03:36:37 pm »

Delete or rename /raw/graphics_example.txt in your bay12 folder (and also your data/save/<your save>raw/).
That's the example file (and the graphics) from Toady himself and it takes precedence over your custom installed graphics (alphabetical order?).

That did it! Specifically, deleting/updating the world's raws folder. It must have been that I installed it incorrectly the first time, and the world I was using for testing was making use of bad files. When I deleted and created a new world, the textures were all in place.

Thanks!