Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civil War Question  (Read 680 times)

CoolGame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civil War Question
« on: January 14, 2020, 08:09:34 pm »

Iv'e been playing DF for about a month now, and my biggest goal right now is to start a civil war. I want to found a new government from the remains, and then become the seat of the empire. Any tips on how to accomplish this?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civil War Question
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 07:18:17 am »

You can't. It's possible to get into a sort of buggy civil war by attacking a settlement that changes hands in the time between you send out your raider party and the time they arrive, but it won't achieve what you want anyway.

CoolGame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 02:59:16 am »

Ok, thanks though.

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 09:06:40 pm »

You might not be able to war with your civilization directly, but there's probably some stuff you can do to make life hard enough on them that they end up dying out. Improving your fortress will attract migrants away from other sites. You could drop some badass gear at the edge of your map for goblin thiefs to steal and later attack your allies with. You could breed you dwarfs heavily and leave the children out to be kidnapped and later used to assault your civ. You could request tons of wood from your civ's caravans in an attempt to get the elves pissed at them. You could try to lure your civ's carvans into a temple with statues and try to get them to knock them over (thus cursing them with vampirism). Could lock them in with drawbridges until they start throwing fits and then let them out to go back and spread vampire curse.

I havent tested any of these ideas, but some might work for sure

CoolGame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 09:29:11 pm »

You might not be able to war with your civilization directly, but there's probably some stuff you can do to make life hard enough on them that they end up dying out. Improving your fortress will attract migrants away from other sites. You could drop some badass gear at the edge of your map for goblin thiefs to steal and later attack your allies with. You could breed you dwarfs heavily and leave the children out to be kidnapped and later used to assault your civ. You could request tons of wood from your civ's caravans in an attempt to get the elves pissed at them. You could try to lure your civ's carvans into a temple with statues and try to get them to knock them over (thus cursing them with vampirism). Could lock them in with drawbridges until they start throwing fits and then let them out to go back and spread vampire curse.

I havent tested any of these ideas, but some might work for sure

hmm lots of good ideas, I might be doing some science soon  ;)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 04:00:36 am »

Most of those ideas don't work:
- Attracting migrants succeeding to bleeding the other sites out of hist figs would mean the civ was on the brink anyway, and the non hist fig pop wouldn't be touched anyway.
- Gear isn't really active in the world. Exported items end up in piles, but not in use, and I don't think gobbos are big on seizing equipment lying about anyway (Kobolds will steal it and stash it, if they've got a chance).
- Kidnapped children ought to at most amount to double figures, while gobbos breed by the thousands, so it won't make a dent.
- Elven wood mandates affect only your site, not non player ones. However, if you goad elves into attacking you, you pull them into a war with the rest of your civ as well (which may well backfire into your civ conquering elven sites...).
- Vampires and weres don't act the same outside of your fortress as they do inside. Attempts have been made to infect invaders with lycanthrophy by releasing weres on them, and it hasn't had a visible effect on them. Sort of understandable, as weres tend to flee out into the wilderness, so a particularly successful infection attempt may result in the gobbos losing half a dozen soldiers, which is rather insignificant.