Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: three questions  (Read 805 times)

gurthang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
three questions
« on: January 16, 2020, 03:12:18 am »

Hi, I am a newbye beleaguered by issues I don't understand and striving for some much-appreciated help  :)

Question 1: Murder. A dwarf has been murdered in his sleep. What should be done? Besides, a dwarf child had gone berserk and had been killed just a little time before the murder. Is there a connection?

Question 2: Fortifications. I need to extend a fortification along the slope of a hill through different x-levels. Do walls built straight on different x-levels automatically connect with each other?

Question 3: Criminal. I have a "criminal" in the latest batch of migrants. His icon is grayed out. I have enlisted him in the military and he is performing admirably. What should be done with him?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: three questions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 04:30:27 am »

1. What was the exact message? If he was drained of blood you have a vampire. If you just found him in a pool of vomit, chances are he drunk himself to death ("killed" by your tavern-keeper).
If someone just strolled in and killed him, then yeah, might be to do with the kid being killed. Hard to tell. It wasn't a drunken argument at least if he was asleep, so you can rule that it out.

3. It's a bug. He was disguised as a criminal in order to spy on enemy civilizations, then the game decided to have him migrate to your fortress (often because a family member migrated there). He retains his fake name and identity, but is otherwise a regular Dorf. Usually they come with some combat or flattery skills due to their previous spying career.

If your "criminal" is married, you should be able to find his real name in his spouse's thoughts page (not her relationships page, which will only list the fake name). That way you can check him out in Legends Mode later (after you retire) to see what he was doing before joining your fortress.

(To clarify, "criminal" is a visitor profession, so won't be found in migrant waves (if not for this bug). People actually spying on your fortress don't come in migrant waves, only as visitors. Vampires however can be either).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:44:35 am by Shonai_Dweller »

gurthang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 04:58:31 am »

1. What was the exact message?

Message was "Domas Nanirdishmab, planter, has been found dead". The red-blinking body is lying on a bed. So you are right, I don't even know weather he died of natural causes or was murdered. Should I simply bury him in a coffin or should I conduct an investigation, and how can I do it? I have a Captain of the guard and a Militia commander (but no Militia captain or Hammerer yet).

Thanks in advance for any help.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 06:23:53 am »

1. I think you should be able to look at the body to see if it has been drained of blood, although I think the original announcement should have stated if the body had been drained (I rarely have vampire caused deaths, and don't play since almost a year due to the raid equipment crash bug). I don't use the injustice system, so I can't tell you how to use it.

Question 2 is hard to understand. You might mean Z levels (the X and Y levels is horizontal, and the Z level is vertical). "Fortification" is a DF term meaning a wall segment with slits in it for firing missiles at enemies, but the context seems to indicate you just want to fortify your position. Wall segments automatically support each other when perpendicular to each other (i.e. not diagonal), and they can also be built on top of each other. However, you typically have to manage building on multi Z level projects to ensure things are built in an order that does not block access to building site.
An example: if you build a wall on flat ground, and then want to build another level on top of that, you can build a stair up along the middle of the wall (an Up stair, and then an Up/Down or Down stair on top of that, i.e. on the next higher Z level), and then you can designate the building of one wall segment at each end of the wall. Once a segment has been built, you can designate the next one in that direction, and so on. You have do do it that way to ensure the dorfs can walk on the lower wall to the building site. An alternative way to do it is to build 10 tile long bridges out from the upper stair in the above example (and further bridges out from those, if needed). That would allow you to designate the building of the upper level of the wall in one go, because the dorfs can now access each build site from the bridges (you'll still get cancellations you have to resume, because the morons will insist on deciding to build from standing on the wall, only to find that there's a wall segment there when they reach the place, and they're too stupid/lazy to move one step away to build from there). Once done you then dismantle the scaffolding (i.e. the bridges) in the reverse order from the one you built them in.
Note that building from bridges without a support from below requires support from the sides. You can designate building of the whole suspended wall, and dorfs will build, but as soon as a wall segment is finished and it doesn't have a finished segment to at least one side, it will drop and cause a cave-in.

UristMcPea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 04:23:19 am »

Engraving a memorial slab will likely give you some more information on how a particular dwarf died...