Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I might be obsessed with Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 2047 times)

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
I might be obsessed with Dwarf Fortress.
« on: January 16, 2020, 11:37:06 pm »

So I think I might be a bit obsessed with DF given that last night I dreamt that DF villains was released.  :)

I woke up right as I hit download. :'(

After the first release of the last release cycle I spent an entire weekend playing DF and I ended up dreaming in ASCII so it not like this is a first. :P

Anybody else had something similar?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 02:06:05 am by JesterHell696 »
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: I might be obsessed with Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 03:10:17 am »

Funny you mention it, because I also had a dream about the villain release a few months ago. The best part was that in my dream Toady had worked part of the myth & magic system into the release as a surprise (obviously pretty fat chance of that happening in the waking world though :().
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 09:04:58 am »

Nice to know I'm not alone.   ;D

I've been jonesing for the new release since the adventure mode party/embarkment system was announced but the 1/1/20 post has brought it to the forefront of my mind, I've been checking the dev log a couple times a day, just in case.  :P
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 04:48:54 pm »

Adventure mode dreams of ASCII trees and rivers, walking the beaches lobbing lobsters at bogeymen, sprinting through from mound to town spreading the tales of the naked winter-wanderer who saves cities from the reasons they fear the night! These may be signs you have entered the matrix tbh

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 10:52:21 pm »

I dream in ASCII too! Once in a while. Most of the time they make no sense, but sometimes they give me an idea for the next playthrough. Best one was about taming polar bears and yetis, and raiding goblins with them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 08:23:43 am »

Weirder still is a hybrid dream of ASCII and real life

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 09:04:31 pm »

Adventure mode dreams of ASCII trees and rivers, walking the beaches lobbing lobsters at bogeymen, sprinting through from mound to town spreading the tales of the naked winter-wanderer who saves cities from the reasons they fear the night! These may be signs you have entered the matrix tbh

I'm impressed that you have that much clarity, I found it to be the most confusing dream ever as I was seeing it in ASCII but was also "there/present", but it was definitely a Whoa, matrix moment.

I dream in ASCII too! Once in a while. Most of the time they make no sense, but sometimes they give me an idea for the next playthrough. Best one was about taming polar bears and yetis, and raiding goblins with them.

This is closer to my experience, I was inspired to build a double "barrel" minecart shotgun that looked like a dick.

Weirder still is a hybrid dream of ASCII and real life

Now that sounds really confusing, was it like Neo at the end of The Matrix where he "destroys" smith or like the walls were ASCII and the people normal?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 06:44:58 am »

Now that sounds really confusing, was it like Neo at the end of The Matrix where he "destroys" smith or like the walls were ASCII and the people normal?
It was like one of those 2.5D games, where it had a false 3D perspective using 2D models. Some things were exactly lifelike, while other things (almost the entirety of the landscape) was represented by their tiles, like the trees, houses and the flowing rivers. Often times two images could be superimposed in the same space, not quite over each other, but more like how I see DF when I play. So I'd be staring down a g with his glowing red eyes, and see a g - but also see the goblin lasher trying to break my skull. I'd head my bucket over the * and see this asterisk (and when I'd come closer, hundreds of moving asterisks making a campfire, with black smoke coming off the top), but also the crackling fire as if it were a real fire. Like seeing two worlds at once and not having any issue with that

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 03:53:58 pm »

Funny you mention it, because I also had a dream about the villain release a few months ago. The best part was that in my dream Toady had worked part of the myth & magic system into the release as a surprise (obviously pretty fat chance of that happening in the waking world though :().

At least there is a bit of new magic and randomly generated monsters.

As for ASCII dreams, that sounds interesting. I've never had one and I've been playing for eight years now.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 09:26:03 am »

It was like one of those 2.5D games, where it had a false 3D perspective using 2D models. Some things were exactly lifelike, while other things (almost the entirety of the landscape) was represented by their tiles, like the trees, houses and the flowing rivers. Often times two images could be superimposed in the same space, not quite over each other, but more like how I see DF when I play. So I'd be staring down a g with his glowing red eyes, and see a g - but also see the goblin lasher trying to break my skull. I'd head my bucket over the * and see this asterisk (and when I'd come closer, hundreds of moving asterisks making a campfire, with black smoke coming off the top), but also the crackling fire as if it were a real fire. Like seeing two worlds at once and not having any issue with that

Wow, neat, mine was more like an out of body experience as I was present but also watching from the standard DF top down viewing angle at the same time, I knew the that it was me even tho it was in ASCII and I was "outside" myself.

At least there is a bit of new magic and randomly generated monsters.

As for ASCII dreams, that sounds interesting. I've never had one and I've been playing for eight years now.

I can't speak for others but in my case it is always a result of bingeing on something, first time dreaming in ASCII was the result of playing dwarf fortress from breakfast to bed for an entire long weekend.

I've also had it with Game of Thrones where I dreamt I was in Westeros on the wall after bingeing 3 seasons and with Star Wars just before the release of the new trilogy with "The Force Awakens" I binged the prequels and originals and dreamt I was a Jedi, which I thought was weird because I always liked the Sith more, but I put it down to the fact Jedi get more screen time.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 11:59:58 am »

So I think I might be a bit obsessed with DF given that last night I dreamt that DF villains was released.  :)

I woke up right as I hit download. :'(

After the first release of the last release cycle I spent an entire weekend playing DF and I ended up dreaming in ASCII so it not like this is a first. :P

Anybody else had something similar?

I get obsessed with df about twice a year for a month or so, my obsessions change often. Right now i'm obsessed with tolkien. In a month i'll probably be obsessed with space, so on so fourth.

But when i am obsessed, im really obsessed and spend every free moment (eg when i'm not working) doing something related to it at the expense of all other things. In dfs case that can mean, browsing the wiki, relistening to all the df talks, playing df etc. Im sure i've listened through the df talks completely about 10 times. It's probably unhealthy.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:12:01 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Dragofire

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified genius and snek lover.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 02:27:24 pm »

Once I stayed up all night watching a goblin siege massacre my fortress in Meph tileset. "Who dismantled the cage traps?" I thought. Then I woke up, realized I was dreaming, ate breakfast in the real world and went downstairs. My sister was staring at the Your defenses have been overcome screen. Turns out she snuck downstairs AND DISMANTLED THE TRAPS FOR RESOURCES! A lot of screaming and #!!?$%&$#%@]#?"#$@\%&&%# ensued. That's the story of how I dreamed I lost a fortress, at the same time my sister had destroyed my fortress in the exact same way.

Two days ago I actually woke up and thought I was dreaming. I was actually looking at my bedroom, but in Meph tileset. I went down the staircase and everything returned to normal.
I can't tell the difference between real life and DF half the time now. I probably should see a psychatrist. My other personalities have gone away now, though.
My Stuff
My Dragon Cave Scroll
We could just lie on all of our maps, or we could flood Europe.
The standard sense of Mario is that he won't murder someone but isn't good enough to not smash bugs. This is engraved into everyone’s mind.
There was one slight problem with the climb, and that was the spontaneous combustion.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 10:31:41 pm »

I get obsessed with df about twice a year for a month or so, my obsessions change often. Right now i'm obsessed with tolkien. In a month i'll probably be obsessed with space, so on so fourth.

But when i am obsessed, im really obsessed and spend every free moment (eg when i'm not working) doing something related to it at the expense of all other things. In dfs case that can mean, browsing the wiki, relistening to all the df talks, playing df etc. Im sure i've listened through the df talks completely about 10 times. It's probably unhealthy.

Sounds sort of like me, I will forget about DF for a few months then remember, comeback and spend a few days to a couple of weeks doing almost nothing but DF in my free time.

When I'm on a DF bender I spend my time tuning the raws, generating dozens of worlds ,checking legends again and again until I find the perfect world with the help of perfect world and legends viewer and only then I'll play, but tend to end up getting disillusioned because I'll want whatever feature was just mentioned in the latest dev log and stop playing rather then let it sour my overall DF experience.

My favourite time to play DF is during release phase with the bug fixes and little features work because every new dev log just hypes me more, that is when I get get really obsessed and take my laptop with DF on it to family functions and a portable hard drive into work, now that it is unhealthy, it just that it happens that this time my usual obsessive DF swing aligned with a release closely enough that I'm stuck playing lots of 44.12 while jonesing for the next feature hit.

Once I stayed up all night watching a goblin siege massacre my fortress in Meph tileset. "Who dismantled the cage traps?" I thought. Then I woke up, realized I was dreaming, ate breakfast in the real world and went downstairs. My sister was staring at the Your defenses have been overcome screen. Turns out she snuck downstairs AND DISMANTLED THE TRAPS FOR RESOURCES! A lot of screaming and #!!?$%&$#%@]#?"#$@\%&&%# ensued. That's the story of how I dreamed I lost a fortress, at the same time my sister had destroyed my fortress in the exact same way.

So you share a fortress with your sister? is it like a hot seat communal game? could never bring myself to play a communal game, I'm too much of a control freak to allow someone else to touch my fortress.

Two days ago I actually woke up and thought I was dreaming. I was actually looking at my bedroom, but in Meph tileset. I went down the staircase and everything returned to normal.
I can't tell the difference between real life and DF half the time now. I probably should see a psychatrist. My other personalities have gone away now, though.

You might want to get that assessed if possible, I had a friend who's brother had to be committed because he truly believed he was Jesus, was bought on by a meth addiction if I remember correctly, better safe then sorry.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:34:22 pm by JesterHell696 »

Dragofire

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified genius and snek lover.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 12:25:42 pm »

No. She went downstairs and played MY FORTRESS. WHILE I WAS ASLEEP. SO I WOULD NOT TELL DAD. REALLY EVA. REALLY. WHY DO YOU HAVE TO DO THIS?
WHY? At least I had a save from last winter.
My Stuff
My Dragon Cave Scroll
We could just lie on all of our maps, or we could flood Europe.
The standard sense of Mario is that he won't murder someone but isn't good enough to not smash bugs. This is engraved into everyone’s mind.
There was one slight problem with the climb, and that was the spontaneous combustion.