Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would a "retro" 3d visualizer work for DF?  (Read 1342 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
Would a "retro" 3d visualizer work for DF?
« on: January 17, 2020, 07:43:03 pm »

Not taking about full-blown 3d like Armok Vision or even an isometric one like Stonesense, but more akin to something like Doom, Duke3d and Wolfenstein (raycasting). Would something like this work with DF? I know that renderer itself wouldn't be a huge drain on hardware, since even computers incapable of running DF can run Wolf3d, Duke3d or Doom, but not sure about actual visualizing (generating map for raycasting/bsp in real time based on what's in DF). Good think that you wouldn't really need models for it since you could just billboard sprites like in the good old days (and in case sprite for something is missing, render ASCII character to a texture and billboard that).
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Would a "retro" 3d visualizer work for DF?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 06:50:58 am »

Adventure mode could probably fit such a style, something like Might and Magic shows you can use that kind of visualiser to have a turn based RPG. Such a visualiser could even improve the adventure mode experience by better depicting the vertical axis

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 02:26:52 pm »

Adventure mode could probably fit such a style, something like Might and Magic shows you can use that kind of visualiser to have a turn based RPG. Such a visualiser could even improve the adventure mode experience by better depicting the vertical axis

I'm sold. I really wanna play a game of 2.5d adventure mode now. Would it be possible to also create an add-on that plays sound effects for combat and dialogue? It could work by looking at the announcements perhaps?
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 03:44:59 pm »

I'm sold. I really wanna play a game of 2.5d adventure mode now. Would it be possible to also create an add-on that plays sound effects for combat and dialogue? It could work by looking at the announcements perhaps?
I've no idea, but I do love the idea of hearing "it is terrifying" in a thousand different accents

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 04:41:25 am »

I am thinking more old school dungeon master, since that has monsters moving around in the grid too.