Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Colony Ship  (Read 11870 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Ship
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2020, 12:44:02 am »

The geological instability and frequent meteorite impacts make this a poor choice for colonization.  With rich resources, these issues could be overcome, but the planet lacks that.

Due to the dangerous anomalies present here, I am voting against an expedition, but I am open to changing my vote after discussion on the matter.

CB
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:11:47 am by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2020, 04:58:10 am »

BB

This seems like a very angry planet that hates everything on the surface.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2020, 05:59:55 am »

C, B
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:20:14 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2020, 08:38:02 am »

AC

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2020, 09:44:50 am »

It is risky but the expedition supplies exist to be used.
The costs of this place make it about more than twice as expensive as our last stop ((even including our bonus for having good military, if I interpret our last result correctly)). Geological study is mighty tempting, but is it better to have our populace staring wistfully out the portholes here, or to spend resources at a couple of safer worlds where we can learn twice as many things before we hit the road?

I feel that is simply too many supplies for us to be risking on a planet where the general consensus already appears to be a no-go. That fourth anomaly would have to be mighty impressive to overcome these obvious threats. Even for our standout military personnel, being caught in an earthquake or other disaster would be, well, disastrous.

C B

-----
Edit: Thinking about probability a bit more rigorously.

Last time, we risked 20 resources and had a d20 roll to see how many were lost. We rolled very well, within the bounds of our military bonus, so we didn't lose anything.

(Assuming the military is a static bonus and not a second roll that we also did very well on.) The expected value for a d20 roll should be 10.5; our military bonus is 5 so the net expected risk for an equivalent expedition is 5.5 supplies. We could do maybe nineteen of those for sweet bonus points if the voyage goes on that long.

This planet requires 35 resources. The expected value on a d35 roll is 18; less our bonus comes to 13. We can garner maybe seven-and-a-bit bonus points at that rate.

The limit in this projection is that I'm not sure I have enough sample size to say how typical any given scenario is, what a "normal" voyage looks like for garnering data bonuses. There is a counter-argument in that spreading the bonuses between categories is our best plan because perfection in one area doesn't always make up for hideousness in another. I don't know whether we can get a geology specific +1 in a safer place than this.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 12:37:49 pm by mightymushroom »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2020, 11:38:37 pm »

Update
Opt 1: 3B, 4C, 1A
Opt 2: 6B 2C

The overwhelming decision of the council is to both abstain from colonization and exploration on this death trap of a planet, beautiful though it may be.

The ship fires up it's drive again, propelling itself out into the void and leaving the mysteries of this place far behind. With only minimal time spent around the planet and no public feeds of it's beautiful surface discontent from the lack of colonization has only increased marginally. You return to your cryo chambers lost in daydreams about your next planet, the paradise you are sure you will soon find. After all, you don't have to wait decades. It's only a few weeks for you.

The council has been awoken to resolve a dispute between members of the cultural board. During the long years of travel, new cultural trends have began to emerge amongst the new generations on board. Strange new-fangled slang and a general familiarity with ship-board life. The cultural board is divided into two camps; The traditionalists, and the "Expansionists" as they call themselves.

The traditionalists argue that the new culture threatens to become ubiquitous in the colony, erasing the living legacies of many of the cultures we fought so hard to bring aboard in the first place. Sure, they concede, the information on these cultures is backed up in the data banks, but without living members and with only one perspective to view these from we will be limited in how much we can actually take from these records. They propose that communities implement cultural histories education for the youth, and certain precautions be taken against deviations in the culture; for example, standardizing language in formal communications to prevent slang and cultural drift from becoming entrenched.

The Expansionists on the other hand argue that this "expansion" of culture is a necessary and good thing. Culture derives from the environment, and a culture derived from living on a spaceship will be beneficial to those that do so. Some within this school of thought also support a non-intervention approach on the grounds that government direction of cultural norms is a gross misuse of power, and still others argue that if all cultures have value, then this new culture has value as well and should be allowed to develop.

The options are:

A: Support the traditionalists
This will preserve your cultural scores, but cause some mild discontent

B: Support the expansionists
The new culture will greatly reduce discontent generated by delaying colonization and improve morale a bit, but your cultural scores will take a hit.

Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2020, 12:20:57 am »

A We must remain traditionalist while we still have not begun colonization and actually expanding. 
Those who are not in cryo should follow a guideline that aligns with the traditional culture to minimize differences when we actually begin colonizing. 

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2020, 12:36:02 am »

We will likely be in this spaceship for a long, long time.  Greatly reducing current and future discontent will allow us to nip this issue, and the associated security concerns, in the bud. 

In the mobile game, at least, it is possible to regain culture score, so we might have that opportunity down the line.

B
A
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 02:42:47 pm by ZBridges »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2020, 01:23:26 am »

B. If only because cultures shift over time and it's fucking stupid to try and tell people to keep culture the exact same.
Does this mean we should be discarding old culture? No, of course not, and it's still best that people be taught about earlier culture - but it shouldn't be forced upon them. Equating the two would be like saying that teaching about Rome and its culture is equivalent to declaring you must join that culture.

Culture and language drift and change to fit shifting needs and circumstances. Concepts that had no bearing on earth are omnipresent here, and need effective ways to be communicated. Political and social structures that had uses on Earth, while worth remembering, are likely to be much less useful in the much more self-contained environments that are present on this ship and will be present at the colony we found.
And frankly, slang happens; trying to suppress it will just alienate you from the people that use it, and will deepen cultural divides.

Learning old cultures and practices can help us to learn about what does and doesn't work, what is appropriate in which situations, etcetera, so on, and such forth. It is better to remember them objectively and figure out what will likely suit most effectively than simply try to cling onto old practices that may or may not remain relevant.

Simply put, old cultures have insights for us that we would be foolish to disregard and forget, but we would be just as foolish as to try to make culture stand still.

Frankly, we should educate ourselves on the culture when we awaken, not force those we represent to remain static for us.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2020, 01:25:09 am »

joining the game under the Science team.

as for the current situation, por que y no dos? I don't really see a reason to interfere with the developing culture of our society, but i feel as though we should still educate the masses in the culture we are trying to preserve.

in short, C, try to blend the two and see where things go
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2020, 01:36:04 am »

as for the current situation, por que y no dos? I don't really see a reason to interfere with the developing culture of our society, but i feel as though we should still educate the masses in the culture we are trying to preserve.

in short, C, try to blend the two and see where things go
This... is essentially what I said.

Should we have this as a C option, or should we categorize it under B?

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2020, 01:38:53 am »

A

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2020, 01:57:36 am »

...ok, wait a second, why would our culture score take a hit from letting people develop new culture?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2020, 02:20:16 am »

B
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2020, 02:24:14 am »

B

Culture is a living, breathing thing, and we can no more prevent cultural mutation and cross-contamination than we could preserve every genome aboard the ship as perfectly symmetrical clones. Sure, the results might be deranged mutants from time to time, but such is life and love and art!

...ok, wait a second, why would our culture score take a hit from letting people develop new culture?
Because the new culture is replacing the old one(s), and not necessarily evenly or smoothly. It's also based on a generational colony ship, and so might not perfectly translate to colonization or sprawling terrestrial civilization.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10