Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Colony Ship  (Read 11879 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Ship
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2020, 01:27:47 am »

C

Note: it may be prudent for the author to indicate when the update is in the process of being written so that players will know that voting has concluded.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:35:25 am by ZBridges »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2020, 01:31:43 am »

C

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2020, 01:36:28 am »

B, personally not a fan of having the chance to damage our culture or scientific data centers because those are the most important thing when considering long-term growth of the newfound colony, otherwise it can lead to a dystopian nightmare, but I don’t understand how a human civilization can be locked at a certain era-tech point, the entire point of humanity is to continually expand and discover, th scientific database just means that will be our starting point when we land.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 01:42:43 am »

Hmn...

From what I can tell, the reason the cultural database was so important in the seedship game is that everyone was in cryo, and from what I can tell didn't remember much of Earth themselves - whether due to cryo complications or just not having that information to start with, I don't know.
Here, meanwhile, the general citizenry remain awake during jumps - and for that matter, are still producing new culture, as seen with the "writing novels of what monsters might lurk in that mist" bit.

I think we can safely leave the casing on the cultural histories database, so C. I do think it may be wise to take some time and write some of the more important stuff down physically, though, or copy them onto flash drives and keep them onboard.

EDIT: I changed my vote to B, disregard the C that's here.

EDIT2: Nevermind, EVA.

EDIT3: I'm just abstaining.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 07:24:54 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 01:45:21 am »

B

Our colonist have limited supplies and what culture they do make is stored in the self same server.  We can not risk that, any military grunt can pilot this ship.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2020, 01:57:40 am »

B

Our colonist have limited supplies and what culture they do make is stored in the self same server.  We can not risk that, any military grunt can pilot this ship.

You know what, fair enough.

Changing my vote to B.

EDIT: Scratch that.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:26:57 am by Glass »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2020, 02:14:40 am »

Still sticking with C.

The majority of meteorites get vaporized by the warp bubble. The shield is there as an afterthought, and mostly to keep radiation out. 

An EVA is a dangerous and potentially wasteful (of resources) operation, for something that can be prevented with better modulation of the warp bubble.

Resources would be better allocated to determining how and why the meteorites managed to get through the bubble, and take actions to assure it does not happen again.  After that, the cosmetic damage to the casing is just that-- cosmetic.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2020, 02:26:46 am »

I had not seen the EVA part. Switching back to C. :p

EDIT: Just ignore me.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 07:24:36 pm by Glass »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2020, 04:44:21 am »

A
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 05:28:27 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2020, 05:24:26 am »

C
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2020, 09:36:17 am »

As a cultural representative, I am sticking up for cultural preservation regardless. The shield absorbed the impacts this time, but we need to prepare for next time.
B

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2020, 06:41:32 pm »

B

The implication of one soldier, or even the larger militant community, having complete control over navigation of the ship is troubling.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2020, 07:24:20 pm »

I don't know what to do .-. consider me abstaining from the vote.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2020, 08:40:52 pm »

The action with the most utility with the least risk, is fixing the warp bubble so that meteors cannot penetrate it.   The fact that some managed to make it in, is alarming. VERY ALARMING.

Even a single hydrogen atom, accelerated to FTL velocity, is deadly beyond all reason. It's like a cosmic ray on steroids and crack cocaine, at the same time.

NO, Evaluation about exactly "how" the meteors managed to get through spacetime curvature that should have prevented outside material from ever reaching us in a causally connected way in the first place, so that it can be corrected, is necessary for safe FTL travel.  (This event is so improbable, that it's literally on par with something shooting out of the event horizon of a black hole. In and of itself, the event warrants tremendous efforts to study.)

It will also assure that this can never happen again.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2020, 08:49:06 pm »

The action with the most utility with the least risk, is fixing the warp bubble so that meteors cannot penetrate it.   The fact that some managed to make it in, is alarming. VERY ALARMING.

Even a single hydrogen atom, accelerated to FTL velocity, is deadly beyond all reason. It's like a cosmic ray on steroids and crack cocaine, at the same time.

NO, Evaluation about exactly "how" the meteors managed to get through spacetime curvature that should have prevented outside material from ever reaching us in a causally connected way in the first place, so that it can be corrected, is necessary for safe FTL travel.  (This event is so improbable, that it's literally on par with something shooting out of the event horizon of a black hole. In and of itself, the event warrants tremendous efforts to study.)

It will also assure that this can never happen again.
I agree with this
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10