Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Civ/Entity Idea Thread  (Read 2844 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Civ/Entity Idea Thread
« on: January 18, 2020, 10:36:25 pm »

Considering making more civs for an existing project or making a new project when the Villain update comes. Would like ideas/suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:47:14 pm by Asin »

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
Re: Civ/Entity Idea Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 12:44:48 am »

I made hobgoblins to serve as a rival to goblins recently.

Medium-sized creatures obsessed with warfare and honor.
They start in towns in the desert, and will spread to non-freezing biomes. They are obsessed with war, martial prowess, and value truth and loyalty above all else. But they are still cruel, ruthless creatures like their green cousins. They tend to have various shades of red skin and black hair.

They're basically big, red, steel wielding desert samurai goblins.
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

Taras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 01:27:59 pm »

Fleshcrafters - evil counterpart of elves. They live in evil tree cities, use grown tools made from bone and coral. Also they are experimenters and can temporary mutate into big animalmen when attacked.

Logariter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 01:16:05 pm »

What about a civ/creature where each skill or set of skills is natural to certain castes?

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 02:22:00 am »

Garden gnomes made of ceramics or gypsum plaster. They ride ceramic frogs and turtles, and fight using gardening tools.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 12:34:01 pm »

A civ of tiny jungle gnomes who only use ranged weapons. And they have tons of head_bump_greeting type interactions.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 01:23:30 pm »

Dark Satyrs who pollute the forests they spawn inside with [SPREAD_EVIL_SPHERES_IF_RULER] on their creature file. Im reasonably unimaginitive when it comes to the nitty gritty fine details but they can be made to use evil wood if you just attach a seed to glumprongs* assuming they're equally limited not dissimilar to elves, but prefer blunt weapons and are on average freakily strong with a strong distaste for most things and very few laws.

The next two are pretty human-like so i just bundled them

A race of not strictly evil but over-militant humans/optionally inorganic humanoids clad in togas and sandals who can take up alliances with goblins due to mistrusting other races when a significant threat arises using [ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:REQUIRED] physically imposing, but with such a lack of clothing, their skin is more insular. Entirely humorless, deadpan addressing the audience and systematically intolerant and opposed to greed, they are ruled by a elected emperor from a choice of the military commanders, who shine in the sun with their gladius's, galea's, breastplates, and hand thrown 'spear ammunition'.

One more Idea to throw out there is a ceramic desert dwelling people full of sand on the inside and their related emphasis on Egyptian and  Middle Eastern themes & culture, with large recommendations for burial chambers and a 'priest' caste with sand construct summon interactions in the defence, lots of Khopesh's, sarcophagi and bronze/brass recommended. They have their own caste of camel accessible to the civ which handles trade & pack carrying which runs at a faster gait, which is one of the mounts they would be able to commonly access for that geographic area.
  • I like your suggestion of ceramic garden gnomes a lot SQman, its funny and also i guess pretty fitting for them to be fragile, so i altered my orginal idea for the sand filled race closer to yours

* From my own little experiments, evil wood using races won't embark or typically use wood that doesn't germinate somehow because they don't consider the limited supply in their weekly production routines along with food, trade etc. Same goes for certain evil plants until they're brewable then they attract interest.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 01:27:14 pm by FantasticDorf »

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 11:49:03 pm »

The Dragonborn, to protect the world from the forces of evil.

I've never seen a Dragonborn/Draconic mod in Dwarf Fortress.

mtboaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 11:58:06 am »

I'd love somewhat aquatic races (i know really aquatic is not possible since we can't build underwater) but if there was a workaround i would really enjoy trying it out.

Further i want to do some extreme dwarfs some day, by that i mean dwarfs that have the extremist few that one is not allowed to harm earth and so every product made of stone and every product you need to dig for is not allowed, ceramics wood & glass are okay - although that might not be possible 100% either

Some automatron races would be cool (i guess there are already mods for that) so machines that don't eat and must be built to reproduce them selves and maybe can even be repaired from corpses.

About every intelligent animal species would be interesting or at least:
snake persons
goat & sheep persons
bird persons
cat persons
bear persons
etc. etc.
with each having the same bases but just a little twist on it depending on the species, but there ofc you have the limitation of just using one creature per civ so it is probably a bad idea too

Ofc. some kind of necromancer/vampire/werebeast/ghost civ is cool but i guess there are plenty of ideas in that direction.

Frog persons with giant war frogs and blowguns <- if they can even be properly used

A scholar civ. that has no weapons at all and just writes books and keeps self sustained. <- no idea how one could manage to influence a entity in that direction

simply put, we need everything that could be fun or unique, df gives us the tools and we should use them like absolute insane dorfs that dig til fun happens
Mighty armok help me, for I am lost in your worlds rules!

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 04:16:51 pm »

A small cute/fluffy race obsessed with war and !!science!! fear the killer furballs!
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 01:49:31 am »

A small cute/fluffy race obsessed with war and !!science!! fear the killer furballs!

The Fluffy Wambler Fortress. Beware their stumble bumblings!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 03:46:33 am »

The Fluffy Wambler Fortress. Beware their stumble bumblings!

It's all fun and games until one of those fallas decapitates a bronze colossus with a dropkick.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 08:53:34 pm »

A race of feet that resent all who have hands.

Foot Fortress, Dwarf Fortress for feet.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 03:57:05 pm »

A race of demonic felines who enjoy experimenting and love power over others/slavery.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 04:17:26 pm »

There's been a few before around the theme, but a more thoroughly developed "holidays" mod might be fun. You could play as Christmas elves, get besieged by Halloween creatures, and trade with Thanksgiving pilgrims.

At minimum, a playable "Santa's Workshop" mod would be pretty fun. Especially for a succession fort.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 05:13:44 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: [1] 2