Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: LCM - Less Crazy Modpack  (Read 13748 times)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
LCM - Less Crazy Modpack
« on: January 19, 2020, 10:08:33 am »

Finally a proper development thread! Some may be familiar with my previous attempt at compiling a huge modpack that wouldn't be too insane. It all worked out well, considering it was pretty much my first project related to modding and I hadn't put any effort in learning how to even read the raws - everything worked and I managed to post a story on this forum (Dungeonevened).
Unfortunately the first modpack was assembled by brute force and kept together by my sheer willpower. As wonky as it was, it was my greatest creation and my babby.

The second iteration of LCM was being made to be a setting to the sequel to Dungeonevened - Twinklestar. There were supposed to be only 16 civs, most tailored by me. You see the main issue here? I had lost the sight on the main goal of LCM, and that is celebration of mods and their authors. That being said, I've learned a lot and created some cool creatures (dimple cup cows, pig tail hosts, koi dragons, yatagarasu, jian etc.).

And this here is LCM 3, a modpack made with love and care, not ignorance and luck! I know my way around raws and errorlogs now, which means I can add more mods and make them work together better!

Of course I will upload the modpack when it's more or less done, and there will be a proper semi-sequel to Dungeonevened. I'm going to keep the number of playable races low: dwarves, drow (Rhenaya's Drow), and Hito (Asin's Culture Shock). It's too early to make any concrete plans, but it's gonna happen

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: LCM - Less Crazy Modpack
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 02:09:58 pm »

I'm totally gonna try this. Looks neat.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 03:37:13 pm »

If you need any help when you get to my stuff, please let me know.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 08:29:05 am »

Oh hey, you're using part of my mods again!
Thank you for that!

I am curious, what races can we expect to see in LCM 3, and what changes will end up being made to them?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 03:06:57 pm by Asin »

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 04:01:42 pm »

Oh hey, you're using part of my mods again
 Thank you for that!

I am curious, what races can we expect to see in LCM 3, and what changes will end up being made to them?

Anything goes, basically, as long as it doesn't have cybernetic parts or anything like that. You'll be able to see Khazra from Diablo, bloodsuckers from Darkest Dungeon, many original creations. Non-playable civs will have too high-tech weapons removed, but to make it up for it, entities that know how to make steel will have access to other alloy reactions like making flesh-steel, refined diamondium, or enchanted metals.
Playable races, as I've already mentioned, will be dwarves, drow, and hito. They will all have access to most workshops and reactions from mods, some new weapons that fit their themes. Drows will be a bit more altered, most importantly making them good guys for the sake of the next showcase fort.

Mods for today: ZM5's Assorted Creature Pack: Sin Factions and Turok addon.

Sin Factions addon adds 14 entities based of 7 deadly sins, and pets and wild monsters also related to said concept plus the eight sin - despair (lat. Tristitia, for anyone who cares for stuff like this). The wild creatures show up in savage regions, but I made them evil for three reasons: some of them are horrible mutants, sometimes gruesome in the very nature of their existence; I don't want elves or equivalent to show up with those things; finally, the concepts of sin and evil are interwoven tightly. Besides that, I've included creature classes for immunities.

Turok addon adds creatures and entities from Turok games, as one would expect. Some creatures were too technologicaly advanced, so I had to yeet them out. It was fun dipping my toes in Turok world, but... cyborg dinosaurs? Alien tyrants? Magma lizardmen? What the hell is going on in those games?

Next is Primal. That will probably take a while...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 04:28:47 pm »

. It was fun dipping my toes in Turok world, but... cyborg dinosaurs? Alien tyrants? Magma lizardmen? What the hell is going on in those games?

Those games were drugs. Turok 2 on the n64 you had a goddess guiding you to defeat baddies in multiple dimensions/planets. One of them had cyclops aliens that just scared the shit out of me I was like 12 then. The alien bug queen mission I kept getting lost in.

But it was lit
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 04:31:29 pm »

Hey, let me know if there's anything I can do to make Primal easier to add.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 10:27:14 pm »

Oh hey, you're using part of my mods again
 Thank you for that!

Anything goes, basically, as long as it doesn't have cybernetic parts or anything like that. You'll be able to see Khazra from Diablo, bloodsuckers from Darkest Dungeon, many original creations. Non-playable civs will have too high-tech weapons removed, but to make it up for it, entities that know how to make steel will have access to other alloy reactions like making flesh-steel, refined diamondium, or enchanted metals.
Playable races, as I've already mentioned, will be dwarves, drow, and hito. They will all have access to most workshops and reactions from mods, some new weapons that fit their themes. Drows will be a bit more altered, most importantly making them good guys for the sake of the next showcase fort.

Mods for today: ZM5's Assorted Creature Pack: Sin Factions and Turok addon.

Sin Factions addon adds 14 entities based of 7 deadly sins, and pets and wild monsters also related to said concept plus the eight sin - despair (lat. Tristitia, for anyone who cares for stuff like this). The wild creatures show up in savage regions, but I made them evil for three reasons: some of them are horrible mutants, sometimes gruesome in the very nature of their existence; I don't want elves or equivalent to show up with those things; finally, the concepts of sin and evil are interwoven tightly. Besides that, I've included creature classes for immunities.

Turok addon adds creatures and entities from Turok games, as one would expect. Some creatures were too technologicaly advanced, so I had to yeet them out. It was fun dipping my toes in Turok world, but... cyborg dinosaurs? Alien tyrants? Magma lizardmen? What the hell is going on in those games?

Next is Primal. That will probably take a while...

Interesting, interesting! I assume Hito retain the additions you gave them when you were making LCM 2?

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 09:34:55 am »

Yeah, I'm still giving them extra weapons, custom pets, and catgirl/catboy castes. They will get common domestic animals too, since I'm not giving them to dwarves.

As for Primal... It's one of my favorrite mods, it really is, however there are several design choices I disagree with on both scientific and gameplay levels.

First, scales and feathers. Feathered dinosaurs should have skin instead of scales; feathers evolved from scales after all (later feathers turned into scales, but that's irrelevant). This part is not really important. I can't be bothered to change it for the modpack.

More important is the matter of frequency. Frequency is set up so that popular dinosaurs have 100% chance of appearing while the rest might as well not exist. Can't have that; I'll change frequencies to what they should be.

Some dinosaurs are common domestic, but I don't like that very much. Utahraptors would make koi dragons and shisas obsolete. I think I still have domesticated dinos I made for LCM 2, some of which I may make common domestic. Extinct animals will probably be given as pets to all kinds of orcs, maybe gnomes, possibly to whatever fits.

Biomes. Most mammals were put into cold biomes. I'm against this completely. I want my dire wolves in tropical regions as they should be.

Antarctopelta is described as an ankylosaurid while it's more likely a basal ankylosaurian related to Minmi. That's actually my fault, because that was me who suggested that animal.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me, but today I'll work on ADP which has been on a hiatus for long enough now.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 11:15:41 am »

As for Primal... It's one of my favorrite mods, it really is, however there are several design choices I disagree with on both scientific and gameplay levels.

First, scales and feathers. Feathered dinosaurs should have skin instead of scales; feathers evolved from scales after all (later feathers turned into scales, but that's irrelevant). This part is not really important. I can't be bothered to change it for the modpack.

Yeah, you're right. Really, since I didn't know about Kulindadromeus while working on the majority of the mod, I need to review every dinosaur and figure out which ones should only have scales, which should be feathered with skin, and which should be both feathered and at least partially scaled (like Kulindadromeus, for example.) It'll just take a lot of effort and requires a good deal of speculation to figure out which ones.

More important is the matter of frequency. Frequency is set up so that popular dinosaurs have 100% chance of appearing while the rest might as well not exist. Can't have that; I'll change frequencies to what they should be.

I know it seems that way to look at the raws, but I don't think Frequency actually works that way in practice. The popular creatures getting a major boost is because if they don't have it, the obscure creatures overwhelm them with sheer numbers and ensure you'll never see most of the popular ones. Tyrannosaurus having FREQUENCY:100 doesn't guarantee you'll see it, it just gives you a decent chance. Especially if someone is only playing the mod casually. In my experience, I've only encountered wild Tyrannosaurus a handful of times, and that was while specifically looking for them. I still see the obscure ones on a fairly regular basis, especially since things like art, favored creatures, animal gods, the exotic warbeasts tamed by historical figures, and some other things ignore Frequency.

Some dinosaurs are common domestic, but I don't like that very much. Utahraptors would make koi dragons and shisas obsolete. I think I still have domesticated dinos I made for LCM 2, some of which I may make common domestic. Extinct animals will probably be given as pets to all kinds of orcs, maybe gnomes, possibly to whatever fits.

Yeah, that's a gameplay choice. Feel free to change it, they're mostly there because Primal is designed for potentially playing it without the regular animals. You can see the reasoning for why each one was picked out in the guide I included in the mod. Note that Ankylosaurus, Stegosaurus, and Triceratops are common domestic because I found the humans and dwarves needed decently powerful pets or the elves would usually react to being in a world full of very powerful exotic pets by exterminating one or both of them.

Biomes. Most mammals were put into cold biomes. I'm against this completely. I want my dire wolves in tropical regions as they should be.

Feel free, that's mostly done to separate the dinosaurs and earlier creatures from the later animals. It does sacrifice some realism, I just really like crossing from a tropical forest full of dinosaurs into a mammal-inhabited taiga. You may also want to look at the temperate shrubland creatures. Those are things I felt like I couldn't justify putting into cold biomes, or fairly recent extinctions.

Antarctopelta is described as an ankylosaurid while it's more likely a basal ankylosaurian related to Minmi. That's actually my fault, because that was me who suggested that animal.

I'll correct that next time, I had forgotten the distinction between ankylosaurids and ankylosaurians.

Glad you like it, just wanted to explain my reasoning behind these things.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:05:24 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 08:18:01 am »

I'd do whatever I liked anyway, but it's still nice to have your blessing  :D.

Maybe I voiced my complaints in a wrong tone; maybe it sounded too critical.
Dinosaurs as pets are a-ok in normal circumstances, but it's a huge modpack, and I don't want to overbloat the common domestic pet selection for Hito. I still want to use creatures that were meant to be orcish and halfling pets, and I'm sure there will be more to include.

About frequency; I know that it isn't about percentage, though I haven't seen an embark without Ankylosauruses yet. Personally I'm not a fan of putting fan favorites above all others (see Pokemon Sword/Shield and Leon's charizard), and that's why I'm gonna give the underdogs equal chance.

The biome issue I'm not gonna argue on because Primal is your project; I'm just some guy on the internet. I will, however, change those biomes in LCM; there's so many creatures that any feeling the biomes had to them has been lost anyway.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 11:09:02 am »

No problem, I look forward to seeing the completed modpack!
My mods and forum games.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 01:00:35 pm »

Primal is done! Thankfully there wasn't much to do other than adjusting frequencies, adding leather/scale/chitin colors, and change biomes for most post-mesozoic creatures.

I actually went against everything I believe and kept Stygimoloch and Dracorex in. I don't know if I would do the same with Nanotyrannus if it was in the mod.
On the other hand, I had to remove Atlas bear and Pyrenean ibex for obvious reason. I managed to dodge this problem with Haast's eagle by renaming it to Harpagornis (even though the actual name is Hieraaetus, but that's one of the worst names I've ever seen). Then there was Myotragus that I've renamed to cave goat and made milkable, because what's the point of a goat if you can't milk it.

Actually that was quite a lot of work, but whatever.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 01:28:53 pm »

I like the changes you made to Myotragus. I'll make the same changes to Primal's version of the goat next time I update. That's a really weird animal, by the way.

I'm not about to add it, but I always liked Carnivores Cityscape's version of Nanotyrannus. The other dubious genera, like Stygimoloch and Dracorex, are mostly in the mod because I thought they might have fans out there who would like to see them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*On second thought though, I think I'll just delete Stygimoloch and Dracorex. The evidence against them is apparently strong enough that they don't even have Wikipedia articles anymore.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 03:22:55 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 03:27:23 pm »

I managed to dodge this problem with Haast's eagle by renaming it to Harpagornis (even though the actual name is Hieraaetus, but that's one of the worst names I've ever seen).
Why not call it the Pouakai?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4