Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LNP not starting  (Read 1972 times)

Gagneto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
LNP not starting
« on: January 19, 2020, 01:49:02 pm »

So, I'm not sure where I should post this but I'm having problems with LNP (Lazy Newb Pack), I'm sure I've read about my problem once but I can't find the thread wherever it is, the process for LNP starts but ends after a couple seconds, my DF starts normally if I open it from folder (it even starts with tileset and DF hack open, which leads me to believe that previous LNP configs are on), but I'd like to be able to use LNP for ease of use, anyone knows what this problem is about?

I'll give any hardware info if need be, I'm on a new notebook, didn't have those problems on the older one, so it wasn't a night to day change but a hardware one (I have redownloaded everything btw)

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LNP not starting
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 05:59:49 pm »

I'd double check you're actually using the LNP shortcut to run the game, and not the regular dwarf fortress exe. You could try right clicking and running as administrator too. Could always try compatibility settings, set to an older version of your operating system

Gagneto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 07:23:14 pm »

I'd double check you're actually using the LNP shortcut to run the game, and not the regular dwarf fortress exe. You could try right clicking and running as administrator too. Could always try compatibility settings, set to an older version of your operating system

thanks for the reply evanvolker
don't wanna sound rude or pretentious but assume I'm not 100% stupid, maybe about 35% :D, usual methods were already tried, run as adm, compatibility (other computer had same OS anyway), etc etc, everything was freshly downloaded from their respective official links
or maybe I didn't do a good enough job of explaining my problem, DF opens normally if I do it from the DF.exe, LNP is the program that is failing to open, LNP process starts for a couple seconds and proceeds to close itself

your reply did however send me on opening DF, on LNP folder it opens with DF hack and default LNP settings, and DF hack sends some error messages so hopefully those mean anything to someone, naturally, opening a cleanly downloaded DF outside LNP folder doesn't do this

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 04:46:33 am »

I'd try to install the LNP on a path that does not have non ASCII characters (you have an "a" with a diacritic above it in the screen shot). At least Ruby has problems with that (has been discussed on the forum during the last year [I don't imply you should have seen it!]), but I don't know about Python.
A person using a Cyrillic alphabet use some kind of translator to get paths to work correctly for at least something DF related that failed without it.

The error report in the window indicates you're lacking some kind of character set support as well.

Gagneto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 08:05:34 am »

I'd try to install the LNP on a path that does not have non ASCII characters (you have an "a" with a diacritic above it in the screen shot). At least Ruby has problems with that (has been discussed on the forum during the last year [I don't imply you should have seen it!]), but I don't know about Python.
A person using a Cyrillic alphabet use some kind of translator to get paths to work correctly for at least something DF related that failed without it.

The error report in the window indicates you're lacking some kind of character set support as well.

wow, thanks so much, that was very clever, it actually worked
I just moved the folder to the D: directory and LNP opened without problems
a thousand dwarven praises to you sir  :D