Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Having gods influence the world.  (Read 732 times)

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
Having gods influence the world.
« on: January 19, 2020, 04:07:27 pm »

In Hindu there is a concept where deities will manifest themselves on earth influencing the world. Be it good or bad or neutral at times. This concept is call "avatars" and I have been wondering if Tarn could somehow implement it into the world gen, having gods influence the world through avatars.

So this is how I think it would work. At some point in the generation an avatar is manifested into the world.  Generating an NPC with no parental links. The  avatars will  gain skills align with their spheres they will live a normal life until they reach year 12 of their life, at that point they will go out and influence the world bringing peace or chaos, sometimes two avatars of opposite spheres might clash with each other, like an avatar of war and chaos might clash with an avatar of Justice and fairness creating an everlasting war that will end if one dies creating a history of endless war if the avatar of war wins, or bringing peace if the avatar of justice wins, but some can be begin like an avatar of poetry will create legendary poems through out their lives. These avatars will be revered in their temples. Due to their impeccable skills ,the people will believe that these avatars are a manifestation of a deity and scholars and poets might be influence to write about their lives.

I know there is many sphere that are really misc. at times, like I am not sure what an avatar of day would do, but maybe the minor spheres may just become high priest of their own temples and gather more believers. My suggestion may have holes when it comes to more obscure spheres. I only thought of major spheres, like war, death, Justice, peace, and chaos. If  does this it would get gods to influence the world to their sphere creating a very colorful history once our characters jumps into the world learning about the legendary Military tactician who is on a campaign to conquer the world, or hear stories of an avatar of courage going deep into a fallen fortress  to slay a forgotten beast.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Having gods influence the world.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 04:46:33 pm »

I think this is already in the works for mythgen (or at least things very much like it), granted you're okay with waiting a few years.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 09:18:49 pm »

I think this is already in the works for mythgen (or at least things very much like it), granted you're okay with waiting a few years.
. The mythgen just spew myth before time. What I want is a god throughout the world gen influence the world as an avatar, but who knows, maybe Tarn is planning it we have to wait to see, I personally don't think it is, because what I want is kind or complicated and fill with holes, but I do hope to see gods being more involved in the history, maybe bestowing an NPC with powers in order to do the gods bidding.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 09:58:15 pm »

. The mythgen just spew myth before time. What I want is a god throughout the world gen influence the world as an avatar, but who knows, maybe Tarn is planning it we have to wait to see, I personally don't think it is, because what I want is kind or complicated and fill with holes, but I do hope to see gods being more involved in the history, maybe bestowing an NPC with powers in order to do the gods bidding.
Yes, Mythgen. Interaction with Gods. Killing Gods, gods having an effect on the world besides curses and regrowing limbs. All been raised as possibilities during many an fotf session. Devnotes only cover a broad range (in which "Allow permanent changes to occur to myth-level landforms, magic, gods, etc. during regular world gen" is probably the closest they'll get until work actually starts in a few years)

Incidentally, Demons exist in the current version because of the Gods direct influence. It's a small thing, but definitely is there.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:01:09 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 06:42:52 am »

Toady read the Ramayana and Mahabharata in preparation for the myth stuff, so I guess it's not unlikely to happen.

Edit: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140544.msg7028217#msg7028217
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:55:41 am by Nordlicht »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 08:02:45 am »

Also...

Quote from: Devpage
Further involvement of deity-level beings and their servants in mortal affairs

Basic divine law as a precursor to law framework
    Manifestation and even integration with civilizations in high-magic settings
    Conflicts between deities or the confused/imperfect agents of a single deity

Agents can mean anything from prophets and angels to avatars (avatars being a case of self-agency :D). The fotf also discussed the complexity of a player playing a god that can be at multiple places at once, which requires the notion of a god avatar to be explained to the game as well.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!