Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adjust plant RAWs to work within the current DF constraints  (Read 678 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adjust plant RAWs to work within the current DF constraints
« on: January 20, 2020, 10:05:37 am »

This suggestion is aimed at the Premium release, or, at the latest, the tail of it, prior to the Big Wait. In order to make that as realistic as possible, the suggestion is to make as small changes as possible, while still allow the plants to be viable for farming. Thus various improvements (such as adjustment of farming periods, additional produce, etc.) are out of the scope and are better suited for other suggestion threads.

Relevant bugs:
- 6940 (long standing bug with varying contents as parts have been fixed and new plants introduced)
- 8226 (Preference string for oats being "beer" when it doesn't produce beer and won't). Included only because the file is affected anyway.
- 10581 (Trees yielding no wood never show up). One of the "trees" is the banana plant, and its absence means the absence of banana and the booze made from it, apart from luck with elven imports.

Proposed implementation:
- Modify plants that produce inedible seed "containers" to directly produce the seeds, taking a cue from nut bearing trees.
- Add explicit seeds to plants that produce edible seeds, but do not have working seed extraction byproduct reactions (for some reason the absence of a usable "structure" component knocks out this functionality).
- Introduce two new reactions for the Farmer's Workshop to extract seeds from plants and "fruit" that can not be "repaired" through the mechanisms above. This affects plants that can only be cooked and whose seeds are inedible, as well as "fruit" without a usable "structure" part and whose seeds are inedible, and thus won't be collected by plant gatherers.
- Add the new reactions to the dwarven section of entity_defaults.txt.

Details:
Reactions, to be added to reaction_other.txt (I placed them last, but there may be a more logical placement)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lines to be added to entity_defaults.txt:

Modified plant_garden.txt (file too large to be posted directly):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/phptxvygymrqbfl/plant_garden.txt?dl=0

Modified plant_crops.txt (ditto):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bx7y2cpzgk163jf/plant_crops.txt?dl=0

Both of the files above have modified and added lines clearly marked.

Replace the first two entries in plant_new_trees.txt with
The change for both trees is an introduction of a WOOD material section. This results in the trees producing wood when felled (which they shouldn't), but without this sections DF refuses to generate any trees or saplings of these species.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Adjust plant RAWs to work within the current DF constraints
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 10:24:51 am »

+1 I would prefer if the Banana/Abaca bug was fixed though instead of just smoothed over. Toady can do things modders can't, after all.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adjust plant RAWs to work within the current DF constraints
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 12:23:29 pm »

Yes, I'd prefer the no wood bug to be fixed, and I'd prefer to have a way to collect inedible seeds instead of using kludgy seed extraction reactions. However, if I had to chose between getting Toady to include the changes as is and wait until the agriculture arc, I'd take the "now" option. Basically, the USP of this suggestion is that it can be done using hours of Toady's time while smoothing over a number of buggy corners of DF. That's also the reason I don't want any otherwise reasonable improvements to be discussed here, even if they're RAW changes only: that adds risk = time.