Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchant from first dwarf caravan transforms into werebeast  (Read 645 times)

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
Merchant from first dwarf caravan transforms into werebeast
« on: January 20, 2020, 03:43:46 pm »

Has anyone else seen something like this? I'm concerned about potential glitches since this seems weird. Although it was also exactly the kind of FUN I play DF for.

It happened as I said in the title: first dwarf caravan shows up, they come to the trade depot as normal. I trade with them, am pretty pleased to both have all the low quality mugs I've been making carted off the screen and to get the food I bought from them. I remove the broker from the depot and go on with my life.

Then I get a message telling me that a werebeast has arrived, just like any normal one. The world I'm playing in is lousy with weretortoises for some reason so I'm not too surprised. I send my workers inside, set the drawbridge to close, then zoom in on the werebeast.

He's right in the middle of my trade depot.

I have no military. I barely have a wall to cower behind. So I'm just not part of what occurs next: every member of the trade caravan, merchants too although I don't think they did so voluntarily, gets into a massive fight with the weretortoise and manage to kill it. He has a rainbow of metal bolts sticking out of him by the end.

When the dust settles all that's left now is one merchant, who is wandering around my fort like he's supposed to be here but who is still listed as a merchant. I'm very concerned that this guy will prevent future trade caravans from the dwarves.

On the plus side I now get the entire contents of the first caravan. On the down side that includes all the mugs I traded them.

I'd include a screenshot but I'm playing on my other computer.

âbirtobul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant from first dwarf caravan transforms into werebeast
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 04:36:07 pm »

That is exactly why I play DF ahahaha. What an irrisponsible merchant though, knowingly endangering others like that. Or maybe he was in self denial after he was bit?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 05:10:20 pm »

Not a bug as far as I know. This can happen.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 05:48:59 pm »

That's a very rare and very happy occurrence! Definitely a feature, and a very FUN one at that. Not very convenient, but it's not everyday a merchant gets outed as a tortoise

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 05:53:14 pm »

Captain of the guard approaches the seemingly lost merchant.

- Hey Mr merchant, not going home yet?
- I...no...not yet.
- Why not?
- There's something I have to do first...what was it..?
- Ok. So...what do you recall about the ambush in the trade depot?
- Nothing...blood...screams. Ah, the teeth, the teeth!!

- Urist, go fetch a mason.

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 06:03:15 pm »

Update: eventually the surviving merchant went home and the next year a new caravan arrived. So I was worried for nothing.

Oafsalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 06:08:56 pm »

Werebeasts are ample !!FUN!! for a prepared fort. For a Day Zero fort they're hilarious.
If you like this game why not head over to https://www.patreon.com/bay12games/posts and make a small contribution?!