Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All my forts end up torturing my dwarves somehow  (Read 1263 times)

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All my forts end up torturing my dwarves somehow
« on: January 21, 2020, 01:07:14 am »

Ranging from fatally to somewhat mean.  Whether its early super forgotten beasts in the basement, or long haul distances to the point where they're too stupid to put down a rock so that they don't die of thirst.  Or less fatally, putting the magma forge at a low level so that hauling down coal and metal and up weapons, armor and trade goods takes up a big percent of the fort's population.

In some forts it was the results of sieges.  Swampcavern saw so much death from the constant fighting.  A siege on average every other year of its existence, slightly more.  Half the forgotten beasts in the smaller world Swampcavern exists in came there to die.  I don't mean many, I mean about 50 of the 100 some the world started with.  It seems like every citizen saw every death ever whether on the surface or in the third layer of the caves.  So many mosquito men, giant honey badgers (2-3 a year?) giants, were beasts.  Wave after wave, season after season of crundles or hungry heads.  Most if not all of the fort had that hardened quality to them where it says somewhere in their personality that they really don't care about anything anymore.  The fort was only happy because of the mist generator and all the nice stuff they had.

Now in Peakfortunes with their current crabby mechanics we have the rain.  I built the tavern on the surface this time so if were beasts are just going to turn their, they are going to do it outside the fort proper on the surface.  But I built stairs going down to the tunnel entrance so they don't have to outside in the rain to get to the tavern and back.

And they never, ever use them.  Their pets do, proving that it works just fine.  The pets use the stairs constantly.

Ok, I get it, the south side of the tavern, it's faster to get to the fort, you'd have to take 2 steps out of your way to use the stairs.
But the very north side of the fort, the stairs are between you and the door.  It should be faster to take the stairs.  And yet, I watch a guy go out of his way to use the door instead of the stairs.  In fact every guy.  I'm not sure I've seen a dwarf of a human use the stairs even once.

It's only a short gap between the tavern and the surface entrance.  How much rain does it take to trigger the "got caught in the rain complaint"  Feels like any amount.  I'm pretty sure the whole fort has visited the tavern sooner or later, and I'm pretty sure the entire fort is complaining about the non stop rain having only seen it and never been hit by a drop of it.  Oh no I saw some rain falling in the literally two seconds I was outside on the way to the tavern!  The horror!  THE HORROR!

Peakfortunes is kind of a starter fort, they have bedrooms for everyone but not all the nicest stuff yet.  They are rewarded with being medium happy, they are mostly right in the middle.  I bet that would be nudged up higher if the entire fort didnt have the caught in the rain tag.

Makes me think of making a fort where you do it on purpose.  I'd call it the Tomb of Suffering or something like that.  Make them live in dirt walls using only tools and weapons made by beginners.  Only clothes bought or made by people bad at it.  Forbid the booze stockpile for months at a time just for fun.  Use only the stone from the very bottom of the world because it's the best.  Have half as many beds as the fort needs and only one communal bedroom.  Make your temple be on top of the hill outside in a rainy biome.  For bonus points put dwarves known for cruelty or lack of empathy in charge.

For defense it could have a Senseless Pummeling Factory, which is a name I borrow from an old Warner Brothers cartoon.  It would be an extra long murder maze to protect the fort from sieges.  Then provoke some neighbors and make the dwarves clean up the resulting mess just to see if you can get tantrum spirals to activate again.
Likes cats for their aloofness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: All my forts end up torturing my dwarves somehow
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 06:29:13 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 08:20:22 pm »

Or less fatally, putting the magma forge at a low level so that hauling down coal and metal and up weapons, armor and trade goods takes up a big percent of the fort's population.

Sounds like you need to invest in minecarts and rollers
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 08:56:10 pm »

Or less fatally, putting the magma forge at a low level so that hauling down coal and metal and up weapons, armor and trade goods takes up a big percent of the fort's population.

To improve its fatality to a more dwarfy rate?

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 09:41:55 pm »

To improve its fatality to a more dwarfy rate?

of course
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 03:25:40 am »

Minecart system explicitly for killing things?

I made one of those once. WORKED GREAT. Killed over 2000 undead units, including undead dragons. Fun times.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 09:50:59 am »

Not quite, OP is talking about daily life in the fortress. The minecarts are explicitly for ferrying goods up and down between the surface and the magma forges. The deadliness to which I refer is just a byproduct of automatic propulsion + dorfs.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 10:00:13 am »

With burrows that's fixable, isn't it?