Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dungeon Core: Dungeon in a Sewer, Rats in the pipes  (Read 3204 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dungeon Core: Dungeon in a Sewer, Rats in the pipes
« on: January 21, 2020, 03:16:23 pm »

Welcome to an experimental game. The rules are a bit lax, but I'll go over the basics.

This world is one in which Dungeon Cores are born from Mana. The Dungeon Cores go on to instinctively open to the surface and grow deeper. They also tend to become very deadly over time, luring in Adventures to take their treasures, and killing them to improve themselves.

If you've read a Dungeon Core Story, you probably know the basics.

So, how does one play?

First is probably how you start off. When starting off, you have to pick 1 Monster Race as your primary race. You will receive a Basic Template that you can use MP to summon. You can vote on any normal fantasy monster, or more mundane choices should you choose.

Actions you can take.

• Expand your Dungeon: This usually takes the form of absorbing soil to create either corridors and rooms. This does cost 1 MP for 1-tile corridors, and 3 MP for 1-tile rooms.
  • Create Monsters: Use MP to create monsters from your Templates List.
  • Create Traps: Once you have some Traps, you can create some from your Template List for the cost of MP.
  • Order Monsters: This is a free action. You can set where your monsters will be, or any actions to take.
  • Expand: In some cases, you may come across places that are hollow or empty of earth. In this case, you can claim them for half the cost it would take to create that space from earth. It is possible to expand outside, though this has some bad tidings for your future.

As a newborn Dungeon Core, these are your stats.

Name of Dungeon: None.
MP: 10/10
MP Regen: 10 per day.
DP: 0
Infamy: None yet.
Monster Templates: Choose 1.
Trap Templates: None.

Note that each turn, you can also choose to research a new trap or monster evolution, (among other things) for DP. DP is earned by defeating intruders and absorbing them. Turns pass by performing actions, followed by a passage of time until your MP is refilled.

Note that monsters and traps cost MP Regen to upkeep. Falling below 0 MP Regen is typically a bad thing. However, absorbing stuff refills MP, and you can increase both your regen and MP by expanding your dungeon and gaining new floors.

Please note this may or may not work out by the way.

Also, in the case of designing new traps or monster evolution, (or new actions altogether), 2d4 will be rolled, ala an AR. And as your Infamy increases, so will the challenges you face.

So, for this turn 0, pick an Environment you start in, a Monster Race(With description/links to it), and we will get started. Note it is in fact possible to die while you are asleep, so be somewhat careful with your MP.

Spoiler: Monsters (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:59:39 am by TricMagic »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Core: An atypical game experiment.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 04:04:50 pm »

So, when you say any fantasy monster, how broad are we going here? Just like, monsters in general? I'd assume that stuff like Humans, Elves, and Dwarves don't qualify(while alive and unmodified at least), but are there any particular limitations?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 04:25:08 pm »

If you pick something with a huge amount of power to start, expect their to be major downsides. Like not being able to support them in the first place.

So long as it exists in some media form and is from fantasy. Note there may be difference to what you get at the start though.

Sentient Races are off limits.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 04:33:29 pm »

So I'm assuming that things from more sci-fi/modern paranormal stuff(mostly the former, but I had an idea that was basically 'RE style Horror Monsters) aren't allowed?

The no sentients thing puts a bit of a damper on my list of ideas, but I'd assume we'd be able to evolve the monsters into sentience later, right?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 04:47:30 pm »

So I'm assuming that things from more sci-fi/modern paranormal stuff(mostly the former, but I had an idea that was basically 'RE style Horror Monsters) aren't allowed?

The no sentients thing puts a bit of a damper on my list of ideas, but I'd assume we'd be able to evolve the monsters into sentience later, right?

I suppose I should say sapience more than sentience, I suppose.. Fantasy/mundane only.

Evolution tends to be traits, and is kinda written like an AR result. Minor modifications or path progressions are easier than completely new things.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 05:03:23 pm »

Here is my application. Let me know if I did this right.
Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)

Edit: I will not actually be playing this, I was under the impression I could have my own dungeon when I made the initial post, so you can prioritize another application.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 07:05:03 pm by Supernerd »
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 05:20:52 pm »

I suppose I should say sapience more than sentience, I suppose.. Fantasy/mundane only.

Evolution tends to be traits, and is kinda written like an AR result. Minor modifications or path progressions are easier than completely new things.
Ah, alright, then I guess something like Poptops is off the table...

well, I'll see about fixing up some ideas.

Edit: I admit I don't like it as much as some of my other ideas, but it seems like all the ones I'd prefer are invalid, so here's this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 05:34:05 pm by Failbird105 »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 05:50:41 pm »

I am thinking some form of hive. 
We can start with basic drones as workers with ability to defend. 
Then specialize soldiers. 
I would also invest in some elite soldiers, or advance tech for better traps or defense. 
And eventually a ruler. 

If I'd need to spend resources: 50% worker, 30% soldier, 10% elite/tech, 10% towards ruler. 

Ants or Bees or even some Xeno hybrid, or maybe even dwarven monarchy. 
What would something that can lure adventurers so we gain more DPs?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 06:02:24 pm by Sanctume »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 06:05:09 pm »

Dwarves aren't allowed, they're a sapient race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 06:13:07 pm »

Note this is a game in which you are a single core. So voting. Not that confident in keeping multiple dungeons active.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 06:24:24 pm »

How about some form of bugs that burrow/dig tunnels. 

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 06:49:25 pm »

Well, I'm putting my vote towards the Gargoyles, obviously

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 08:17:44 pm »

Environment: Ruined City
Species: Giant Cockroaches.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 09:50:37 pm »

Environment: City Sewers
Species: Giant Rats.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 10:15:36 pm »

Not only do we not have any votes in agreement, we actually have more ideas than we do submitters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4