Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Amnesiac Companion  (Read 2234 times)

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
Amnesiac Companion
« on: January 21, 2020, 10:28:47 pm »

So after checking the gamelog, I noticed a discrepancy I hadn't before. My late companion, Oled, gave me a lead on a bandit camp nearby led by a Casast Ambershow. Well, when we got there the bandits were all dead, and when I asked Oled about him, he said he didn't know Casast Ambershow. Ok. But later, when fighting a giant alligator, Oled decided to boast, " I am the vanquisher of Casast Ambershow, whose insignificant name I struggle to recall!" I guess he really does struggle to recall Casast's name sometimes, and even that he was his vanquisher.
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Amnesiac Companion
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 02:57:53 am »

I love when someone tells you to talk to yourself, and when you ask where you are, they say they have no idea and don't even know who to ask.

oh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 02:06:57 pm »

yeah, there's definitely some sort of bug with memories of companions. they never remember anything that happens after you meet them at all, but as you note they do remember their kills to brag about. my only explanation is that maybe the memories of npcs unload, and are saved to the site they're a member of, when the npc in question unloads, and then the next time that individual appears they're rebuilt from the common knowledge of the site/civ? but then when you take a companion that can't happen (maybe because there is no site to save them into to be loaded from later?).

i think the reason for them being able to brag about things they don't remember is because the "i am the vanquisher of..." brags aren't actually coming from their memories but from their kill lists directly, like what you get in adventure mode when you hit z then k, which is stored independently of memories (consider that it's possible to kill someone without remembering -- if you cut someone's throat then run away and don't watch them die, your memory of the event won't say that they died, but you will have their kill in your list of kills).

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 03:39:04 pm »

yeah, there's definitely some sort of bug with memories of companions. they never remember anything that happens after you meet them at all, but as you note they do remember their kills to brag about. my only explanation is that maybe the memories of npcs unload, and are saved to the site they're a member of, when the npc in question unloads, and then the next time that individual appears they're rebuilt from the common knowledge of the site/civ? but then when you take a companion that can't happen (maybe because there is no site to save them into to be loaded from later?).

i think the reason for them being able to brag about things they don't remember is because the "i am the vanquisher of..." brags aren't actually coming from their memories but from their kill lists directly, like what you get in adventure mode when you hit z then k, which is stored independently of memories (consider that it's possible to kill someone without remembering -- if you cut someone's throat then run away and don't watch them die, your memory of the event won't say that they died, but you will have their kill in your list of kills).

They definitely remember some things, in my experiance, ill kill something my companion will see me give the killing blow (or ill tell them) then iil ask where the person i killed is and they will answer properly "X is dead". I play almost exclusively adventure mode aswell. Now if someone dies off screen or your companion isnt nearby and you don't say anything they probably wont know.

Or if their kill bled to death without them seeing the actual death then i would imagine this behavior could happen.

Im pretty sure memories are stored on historical individuals generally. (Thats why your adeventur ehas a memory screen). I could see memories being overwritten, but i haven't experienced what you experienced.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 03:44:48 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

oh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 04:12:18 pm »

I just did a little test that you can repeat if you like:

* start an adventurer
* get two companions
* go into woods and murder one in front of the other
* at this step your other companion might aggro you in which case this probably won't work?? otherwise:
* ask about yourself (they will at least say that you are a killer)
* fast travel
* ask about yourself (they will just say you're their traveling companion and a pleasure to speak with)

i've done things like this many times over the years to see if this has been fixed and they have never remembered. when you attack a companion, even if you cause serious injuries that nearly kill them, if you manage to get them to rejoin you (sometimes this is possible), then fast travel and ask them about yourself, they won't do the "you are unhinged" message anymore.

you also usually have to repeatedly tell companions that you have killed x or y megabeast in order to get back the "you are a legendary hero" message after fast traveling or sleeping.

compare to doing any of this with a non-companion who is a native to a site, in which case they will always remember.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 04:48:42 pm »

I just did a little test that you can repeat if you like:

* start an adventurer
* get two companions
* go into woods and murder one in front of the other
* at this step your other companion might aggro you in which case this probably won't work?? otherwise:
* ask about yourself (they will at least say that you are a killer)
* fast travel
* ask about yourself (they will just say you're their traveling companion and a pleasure to speak with)

i've done things like this many times over the years to see if this has been fixed and they have never remembered. when you attack a companion, even if you cause serious injuries that nearly kill them, if you manage to get them to rejoin you (sometimes this is possible), then fast travel and ask them about yourself, they won't do the "you are unhinged" message anymore.

you also usually have to repeatedly tell companions that you have killed x or y megabeast in order to get back the "you are a legendary hero" message after fast traveling or sleeping.

compare to doing any of this with a non-companion who is a native to a site, in which case they will always remember.
Interesting ill have to try this when i get home,is this in vanilla (no df hack, no LNP?, 44.12 save) I only play in vanilla or with vanilla mods.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:53:18 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 01:29:41 am »

I attempted to replicate this, was a dwarf grabbed two drunks, killed one in the woods, my companion reacted negatively too it, and then i fast traveled, and they pretended everything was fine and so this bug exists, (I have seen a bug where drunks get duplicated, so if i go back zon may be duplicated and that would explain the issue) I still think your guess as to what the issue is is wrong, as if i kill a big bad my companions will know usually. (A roc or some such) but eh, ima do some more tests.

Told them again, they pretended it was fine after a fast travel (still the dwarf kill)

Killed giantess
, companion thought i was "very brave"

Later on after fast travel i asked about the cave i killed the giantess in and my companion talked about how i killed it. But when i ask about myself they still dont mention it. So they must know at some level.

But when i ask about the giantess directly, they say they are a dangerous animal and dont say anything about them being dead.

Someone should report this on the bug tracker, its easy to replicate. But i cant ATM as its late and im going to bed

I reported it, please fill this bug report with comments containing your reports and im sure he will fix it.
https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11217
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:58:22 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 06:21:07 am »

with personal dfhack knowledge of how memories are stored I probably should say this goes farther than just companions.
though companions don't retain every event that happens in DF, if they happen to not see it or probably for that bandit attack
folks attacking other folks don't know who they really are attacking on a historical figure level, but that's mostly due to for them to know who they are attacking they need to greet the person they were fighting.
the boasting is old code that pulls from the companions's or well the unit's Kill list which the game remembers to keep track of even though the companion doesn't know the event where they murder someone as to them at the moment they were fighting some unknown being.
I even guess the event when they did kill someone isn't retained until someone tells them so. and to note this isn't just companions this is For every NPC in the game.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 11:10:31 am »

with personal dfhack knowledge of how memories are stored I probably should say this goes farther than just companions.
though companions don't retain every event that happens in DF, if they happen to not see it or probably for that bandit attack
folks attacking other folks don't know who they really are attacking on a historical figure level, but that's mostly due to for them to know who they are attacking they need to greet the person they were fighting.
the boasting is old code that pulls from the companions's or well the unit's Kill list which the game remembers to keep track of even though the companion doesn't know the event where they murder someone as to them at the moment they were fighting some unknown being.
I even guess the event when they did kill someone isn't retained until someone tells them so. and to note this isn't just companions this is For every NPC in the game.

That makes some sense suppose.

The bug we are talking about here is that even if you do tell them, once you fast travel it disappears. Then you tell them,and fast travel and it disappears again.
I am an indie game dev!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 07:44:19 pm »

ok so I think events that units witness aren't stored to their historical figure data as it seems Even the adventurer who witness someone demanding something forgot about said event.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 01:19:39 pm »

ok so I think events that units witness aren't stored to their historical figure data as it seems Even the adventurer who witness someone demanding something forgot about said event.

Maybe update the bug ticket with that info?
I am an indie game dev!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 11:05:30 am »

I even guess the event when they did kill someone isn't retained until someone tells them so.

This reminded me of this parody sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byycwl8qgc
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository