Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extracting venoms from weapons + applying them to your own in adventure mode  (Read 3033 times)

Mobilescrub

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I've searched for similar methods in this forum and reddit but couldn't find any, so apologies if this was already known.  I found this out when messing around with venom pools that appeared when I was stabbing things with darts. 

This requires 3 things. You need a water tile, a weapon with venom already on it (usually from subterranean animal people), and an animal or companion.

Take the venomous weapon, in my case it was a tower-cap blow dart with a helmet snake venom covering, and put it in your hand. Enter the water with it, and you will see a pool of venom form in the water tile. Normally, you can fill containers with an infinite amount of venom from a pool, but since it's in water it becomes laced with water, which is useless. In order to move it onto a land tile and purify it, you must move back and forth between the land and water tile until a pool of venom forms on the land tile because of the spatter spreading mechanic. This method of dwarven distillation concentrates the dilute venom in the water into a potent pool on land where you can either grab it with your hands or fill a water skin.

There are three methods of using this against your enemies. You may rub it on your teeth for biting, on your hands for scratching, or put it on a weapon. To get it on your teeth and hands, you must strip naked and drop everything (or the venom will only covers your clothes) and throw venom on a wall until a line of venom pools are created. Then you crouch (doesn't work with standing) with (s) and crawl across from pool to pool multiple times until the spattering and smears turn into coverings. A single pool will not work, you must crawl from one pool to another only, multiple times. I tested this with four pools. By pressing (e) you can see your body parts are now covered with venom, including the teeth and fingers. Biting something will transfer the venom into the enemy, you can see this by pressing (l) on the enemy and seeing if it transferred onto the body part you bit. The same applies to scratching. I tested this on a cave crocodile and the bitten and scratched body parts swelled up with blood, so I assume it worked. To poison a weapon, you throw the venom at your companion or animal and smack him bluntly (edge might cause blood spattering instead) on the part it landed on with your weapon. I tested this by throwing helmet snake venom at my gorlak companion and hitting him with the pommel of my large copper dagger until a covering of venom formed on the weapon. This might require multiple fresh venom coverings since I'm not sure if a full covering can form from hitting a spattering or smear multiple times. I then slashed the same cave crocodile, ran away, and waited until the part swelled up from the venom. If the weapon embeds, it ruins the venom covering instantly since it replaces it with a blood covering. However it's usually good for a few slashes, but not every attack is guaranteed to apply the venom.

Have fun.

P.S I also found out if your hands are full you actually CAN (g)rab venom directly from the water since it sends it to the backpack. If you try grabbing it with empty hands it doesn't appear in your hands for some reason. And if you try putting (i)t in a water skin it becomes laced water. So in case the back and forth centrifugation doesn't work (which it doesn't sometimes) try this instead.  Also, since syndromes work much more slowly in adventure mode, you might have to edit the raws to get the most out of this.  Also make sure to hit a different body part each time as the blood spatter from the previous slash tends to replace the covering.  And drink any water coverings on you before rolling around in venom pools.  Enjoy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Adventurers coating their own teeth with venom is one of the jankiest and most brilliant things I have ever seen

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile

From my old mod I had something similar for adv mode soap usage under the farmer's menu, but similar to this weapon coating setup, it was so fiddly because of how contact syndromes work re:spatter.

To echo Loud Whispers, definitely bitey craziness. Vampires give the thumbs up, but I do wonder about a SIZE_DILUTES Marie Curie effect.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From my old mod I had something similar for adv mode soap usage under the farmer's menu, but similar to this weapon coating setup, it was so fiddly because of how contact syndromes work re:spatter.

To echo Loud Whispers, definitely bitey craziness. Vampires give the thumbs up, but I do wonder about a SIZE_DILUTES Marie Curie effect.

Please excuse the possibly misguided question but wouldnt using a worshop or a retired fortress where you have a grate under the ground work instead? It sounds very gimmicky but you could feasibly in the next version swap (either with gmhack, but apparently some more party controls are coming to Toady's additions soon) to your companion to do the reaction and stand underneath so that it spashes on you.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 02:06:51 pm by FantasticDorf »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile

Please excuse the possibly misguided question but wouldnt using a worshop or a retired fortress where you have a grate under the ground work instead? It sounds very gimmicky but you could feasibly in the next version swap (either with gmhack, but apparently some more party controls are coming to Toady's additions soon) to your companion to do the reaction and stand underneath so that it spashes on you.
While my forum searches are likely less than efficient, I don't believe I came across confirmation that infection rate plummeted because of soap specifically.

What I mean is this: if a reaction has reagents A/B/C, with product as get material from A, B&C only exist as conditions rather than being directly related to the product.

Now in fort mode it's unknown (to me at least after searching bay12 & looking over the RAWs) whether it's the contact with the soap (material definition token SOAP_LEVEL:2) or hardcoded fort mode bathing that governs the infection % drop.

My best guess as Adv Mode reverse engineering was to pair a LIQUID_MISC item (w/SOAP_LEVEL:2) and the cat's CAN_DO_INTERACTION:CLEANING applied to dorf/gobbo/elf/harman. Interactions like cleaning have hardcode features not visible in the RAWs as evidenced by the fact it produces an emotion. That's as far as the road led me, as Adv Mode and Fort bathing produce different emotion text and may be tied to different things.

Even if CAN_DO_INTERACTION:CLEANING alone is dropping % of infection, it's triggered fro NPCs by contact with POWDER/LIQUID_MISC which means another widespread calculation the game's making. Can't be good for FPS.

If we presume the % drop is only tied to soap, grate system could work.

While playing DF is the history of working around the various workarounds, there's too much hoop jumping with poor return.

Seems it'd be better to have ingestion than contact. For your own character or your companions if recruited.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 06:13:12 pm by peasant cretin »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While my forum searches are likely less than efficient, I don't believe I came across confirmation that infection rate plummeted because of soap specifically. What I mean is this: if a reaction has reagents A/B/C, with product as get material from A, B&C only exist as conditions rather than being directly related to the product.

Now in fort mode it's unknown (to me at least after searching bay12 & looking over the RAWs) whether it's the contact with the soap (material definition token SOAP_LEVEL:2) or hardcoded fort mode bathing that governs the infection % drop.

To my understanding the dwarf takes the block and then laces the water they pick up to bathe with so that it condenses into cream form or undergoes some form of change in the minimalist way dwarves draw less than a unit of water to wash with, your own reaction pretty much proves that contact with it will clean and remove the grime at that soap level, which is what infections are dependent upon the dwarves ticking grime counter rising up.

Body grime counter outside of actually being coated in dirt prompts dwarves to bathe, and the soap level seems to regulate the degree of cleaning that is achieved.

Even if CAN_DO_INTERACTION:CLEANING alone is dropping % of infection, it's triggered fro NPCs by contact with POWDER/LIQUID_MISC which means another widespread calculation the game's making. Can't be good for FPS.

Cats lick themselves clean with the tongue by injesting the reagents and grime that is on the targeted body part therefore disposing of the liquid. I dont think its the same as scrubbing off dead skin with a brush interaction wise.

If we presume the % drop is only tied to soap, grate system could work, While playing DF is the history of working around the various workarounds, there's too much hoop jumping with poor return. Seems it'd be better to have ingestion than contact. For your own character or your companions if recruited.

Mmm soap beer.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

This is what DF is all about. Weird workarounds for things that should probably be in the game already, leading to dwarfy science.