Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: AI Rights  (Read 26809 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: AI Rights
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2020, 08:51:11 am »

I think it’s a reasonably safe bet that plenty of other animals have some concept of other minds. The reason it hasn’t been observed conclusively is likely that no one has been able to find the right experiment to prove it. Or, rather, no one really agrees on what “proof” would be.
Agreed. It is unlikely that one species out of millions is the only one who understands that individuals have differing minds

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2020, 09:58:54 am »

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

This is something that people have indeed tried to test, including in higher primates, and have so far been unable to conclusively demonstrate any evidence of theory of mind in other species.  There are suggestions it might be there, but nothing statistically significant apparently:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind#Non-human

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2020, 11:26:00 am »

A number of "stashing and caching" creatures will not only hide things because they don't want others (with other minds and knowledge) to know where a thing is, they will fake hiding things if they think they are being watched because they want the other creature to have a false alternate 'knowledge', letting them (effectively) sidle off to actually hide their prize elsewhere, untroubled by the watcher(s) who are now pointedly waiting for the fake hiding place to be pilferable, safely out of sight of the pilferee or other potential repilferers.

How much of this is 'intelligence' (and how much is rote/instinct that has arisen over billenia to be marginally advantageous over less sophisticated inherent behaviour) I couldn't say.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2020, 11:40:59 am »

A number of "stashing and caching" creatures will not only hide things because they don't want others (with other minds and knowledge) to know where a thing is, they will fake hiding things if they think they are being watched because they want the other creature to have a false alternate 'knowledge', letting them (effectively) sidle off to actually hide their prize elsewhere, untroubled by the watcher(s) who are now pointedly waiting for the fake hiding place to be pilferable, safely out of sight of the pilferee or other potential repilferers.

How much of this is 'intelligence' (and how much is rote/instinct that has arisen over billenia to be marginally advantageous over less sophisticated inherent behaviour) I couldn't say.
this was what I tried saying earlier, how could animals use fake stashes to trick other minds if it doesn’t know those minds exist?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2020, 12:16:40 pm »

I see I must have missed that one (that I've now read) while catching up.

Though it doesn't necessarily mean they 'know' what other minds think, it could just be an autonomous reflex behaviour prompted by various stimulii (witnessing the presence of potential rivals) without any mental projection or 'storytelling' or future projection.

Like something else that doesn't have a mind go speak of is still able to perform competent gamesmanship against a 'thinking' opponent.

Which might be what happens with us. I think I think therefore I am?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2020, 02:02:33 pm »

Which might be what happens with us. I think I think therefore I am?

"Consciousness is a hallucination hallucinating a hallucination" - Douglas Hofstadter

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2020, 12:03:06 am »

Naturegirl1999, have you boned up on what AI researchers think about this?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2020, 03:58:55 am »

Squirrels don't stash bones. That's dogs.

"Naturegirl1999, have you nutted up on what AI researchers think about this?"

There we go.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2020, 06:14:30 am »

There we go.
No. Where do you two think good starting po8nts would be?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2020, 08:50:16 am »

There we go.
No. Where do you two think good starting po8nts would be?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9-y-6csu5WGm29I7JiwpnA
Computerphile has lots of great vidoes about AI. Not just sapient AI though those too. It talks about various future problems which they may have.
Like the Stop Button Problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TYT1QfdfsM

One of the concerns you've stated that if we dont give them rights they wont respect us. There kinda of a solution to that. You'll find it in the above channel and there other articles talking about it. But the tl;dr is seed them with similar values.
A sapient AI will be a wholely alien creature with an unknowable inner workings.
And AI reseachers also consume media. So they're aware of stories with Skynet ect.
So the current solution, is to make AI systems value the same things we do. If they value what we value, then they have similar goals.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2020, 09:01:31 am »

Oh, I remember the Stop button problem video, and the one about reward hacking. Humans do reward hack9ng too

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2020, 10:02:22 am »

Apropos:

If you have not played or watched streams: Detroit: Become Human.  Holy crap.

I have been watching Mr Odd's playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7vtlHyMwtc&list=PLj_Goi54wf0etCfYr04U-a3j-cQGztiEY

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2020, 06:48:55 pm »

Every work by David Cage should be treated with a large dose of salt.  Detroit: Become Human is far too close to being a metaphor for race relations.

Though his work Fahrenheit was basically just The Matrix but with a bunch of... street people...
Actually yeah that works.  I can't fault David Cage for trying to raise awareness for those of us who don't have homes.

Apropos:
If AI ever do become human, which I don't necessarily believe in - how will we treat them?

It's useful because it makes us think about how we treat each other.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2020, 07:12:05 pm »

Every work by David Cage should be treated with a large dose of salt.  Detroit: Become Human is far too close to being a metaphor for race relations.

Though his work Fahrenheit was basically just The Matrix but with a bunch of... street people...
Actually yeah that works.  I can't fault David Cage for trying to raise awareness for those of us who don't have homes.

Apropos:
If AI ever do become human, which I don't necessarily believe in - how will we treat them?

It's useful because it makes us think about how we treat each other.

I'd say Detroit is like, the least bad David Cage game, and that's largly because the buddy cop film of Conner and Hank was mostly ad-lib and therefore had little Cage influence.  But yeah, Detroit is more about them being an underclass of slaves, complete with literal underground railroad to Canada, than about them being robutts.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2020, 07:17:44 pm »

Is that a fact?  I do love the Conner-Hank dialogue, but I'm skeptical about how much of it is ad-lib.  Because there are so many branches.  Maybe the natural route is ad-lib?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13