Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: AI Rights  (Read 26060 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
AI Rights
« on: January 22, 2020, 11:34:37 am »

This is a thread where we can talk about AI rights

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: AI Rights
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 11:49:49 am »

Whether an intelligence is artificial or natural (giggity) shouldn't have anything to do with the rights we afford it.

However, if we made artificial intelligences which displayed as much "emotion" or "awareness" as cows, it'd be an uphill battle to claim we should treat them better than cows.

I think we treat cows pretty bad, but it seems like a stage we're going to reach long before we manually construct human-level intellect.  And AI will be even more "okay" to exploit because we won't be giving them tricky things like emotions (except for research purposes) - an AI designed to design cars, even one with advanced logic and learning, will have no reason to be unsatisfied.  There's no purpose to giving it the capacity for unhappiness.

Unless emotion-simulation somehow increases efficiency, which sounds like something that would only happen if we were copy-pasting biological brain structure into silicon-based systems.  Which raises a gaggle of interesting problems of its own.

There, thread started :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 11:54:41 am »

Nitpick--

An AI that is simply designed to maximize a function, through self-feedback (such as an integrated GAN) uses a reward system intrinsically. Failure to get the reward could be construed as the functional equal to punishment for failure.

Elaborate mechanisms to avoid such failure, and get the reward, are the INTENDED outcome of this.  Placing such AIs into circumstances where they can then NEVER achieve that reward, (since we have already trained it to the point we want), could be considered abusive, if the AI continues to struggle internally to attain the goal. 

This is essentially functionally analogous to the emotional feedback system in the human brain.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 02:10:17 pm »

Out of curiosity, why are you so interested in this topic, Naturegirl? Every time I see it come up, you're usually passionate about giving the AIs rights. Not that I disagree, just curious why you're so concerned with the rights of beings that don't yet exist.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Tingle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 02:21:35 pm »

What is right? Seems like we get to decide. We should have no say in matters of rights. There's a mushroom which grows in the ground and it's illegal for me to eat, it creates more neural connections, empathy and is a better neural transmitter than serotonin.
Alcohol kills brain cells causes apathy and retardation.
First we must accept ourselves to understand ourselves to understand others.
Many of us are forced into accepting the already artificial intelligence in our minds but not ourselves but if you pay it attention you will see that isn't on the agenda. Acceptances of these days are platitudes in guises in truth they are factors of separation. Ideology.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 02:22:14 pm »

This is a thread where we can talk about AI rights
Out of curiosity, why are you so interested in this topic, Naturegirl? Every time I see it come up, you're usually passionate about giving the AIs rights.
🤨

Prove you're human!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 02:23:50 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 02:24:52 pm »

The human brain is functionally a powerful and complex computing device. If an artificial construct is designed with comparable levels of speed and complexity, and is then programmed in a way which is shown to accurately emulate the functions of a human brain, then I see no reason why it should be afforded any lesser rights.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 02:38:33 pm »

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 02:51:11 pm »

However, if we made artificial intelligences which displayed as much "emotion" or "awareness" as cows, it'd be an uphill battle to claim we should treat them better than cows.

What's the quote? Something like "Anything we can do to a rat, we can do to a human. And we can do anything to a rat."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 03:09:09 pm »

Out of curiosity, why are you so interested in this topic, Naturegirl? Every time I see it come up, you're usually passionate about giving the AIs rights. Not that I disagree, just curious why you're so concerned with the rights of beings that don't yet exist.
If we don’t treat them with respect, they would have no reason to respect us. We humans are biological intelligences occupying a protein based body. Just because an intelligence may inhabit a different type of body or have different origins doesn’t mean they should be treated as lesser beings. If you woke up in a metal body surrounded by people who never knew you, you would be considered a human like AI, if these people treated AIs as less than human, you would be treated like property simply because you would inhabit a different body. There are some humans who don’t exhibit all tendencies commonly seen as human. I am a human who took much longer than normal to learn how to interact with other humans. I have autism, so I think in different ways than neurotypical humans. Just because I happen to not show emotions/try not to let emotions cloud judgement on certain topics/get confused on certain human tendencies doesn’t mean I am less human. However if an AI exhibits similar problems humans have a tendency of seeing them as not human like. Sometimes I wonder what the ourpose of emotions are. I sometimes have dreams/nightmares about not being considered human enough and disassembled for not being like “Norma;” humans. There could be some AI that, if they happened to be in a human body, might be considered a human with a mental difference than the norm. People think certain things are :human exclusive” and some humans might not have these traits, they are still treated like humans thank goodness. I see intelligence as intelligence, regardless of the medium. I don’t like the idea of enslaving other intelligence, whether on purpose or inadvertently. AI can know that humans create it, they may watch other humans interact and wonder why they are seen as tools. I watched the Animstrix not to long ago, and it got me thinking that if we end up treating AI as property, even if they can think for themselves, we would be hypocrites, because if we think using biological intelligence(humans) as tools is bad, then why is using artificial intelligence as tools any better? I guess what I’m saying is I am an autistic human who empathizes with AI. Humans are complicated creatures, we don’t even understand ourselves fully. Some humans have a harder time understanding other humans than other humans nw might. Some people have an easier time with it. If other humans have difficulty understanding each other and we inhabit similar bodies, I can only imagine how hard it would be for AIs to understand us. Likewise, maybe AIs might not know how other AIs interact. Humans would very likely have a harder time understanding AIs too. But that doesn’t mean they are just tools. Humans don’t know what other humans are thinking, nor do we know what AIs might be thinking. We can’t read minds. AI research is growing. We could build sentient/sapient AIs faster than we think.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 03:39:20 pm »

If we don’t treat them with respect, they would have no reason to respect us.

If all humans followed this philosophy of giving respect only after receiving respect, then nobody would respect anybody because nobody would ever make the first move.
You are presuming that AI will mirror the worst of humanity, those who only respect others reciprocally. I would hope that when we begin creating life, we would use the best of humanity as models.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 03:43:24 pm »

You are presuming that AI will mirror the worst of humanity,
'Member TayTweets?
'Member how she almost immediately became a racist Nazi?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 03:43:54 pm »

Artificial Intelligence, A. I., as it is today is a misnomer.  It should really be pattern recognition function.   

A human being will quantify properties by himself/herself. 

A function will need those properties defined by the coder(s) in order to determine a result based on parameters of its instruction. 

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 03:55:05 pm »

If we don’t treat them with respect, they would have no reason to respect us.

If all humans followed this philosophy of giving respect only after receiving respect, then nobody would respect anybody because nobody would ever make the first move.
You are presuming that AI will mirror the worst of humanity, those who only respect others reciprocally. I would hope that when we begin creating life, we would use the best of humanity as models.
If you started off respecting someone you thought deserved respect, who always looked down on you no matter what you did, how long would it take you to lose respect for that person?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 03:59:07 pm »

PTW. Violating Directive Nineteen
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13