Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coming back in 2020....  (Read 3466 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coming back in 2020....
« on: January 24, 2020, 11:12:36 am »

Hello, I haven't been playing for 5 years.   im coming back into it now and was wondering what extras I should download besides dwarf therapist?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coming back in 2020....
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 06:49:26 pm »

It depends on what you want to do.
To play the game. Just download and play the game. (Standard download is the 64 bit version, if you're playing in a 32 bit OS, you'll need to select the 32 bit version from the All Versions page).

To use Therapist, download Therapist. Run it while playing the game. Should Just Work.
Tilesets are still tilesets, plug and play. But now there are complex graphical tilesets which need use DFHack and TWBT to override DF's current graphical limitations.
(Or were these already around in 2015? Not much has actually changed since then).

If you want a bunch of tilesets and utils and other stuff and don't want to think about anything, look to the Lazy Newb Pack.

*Note that there'll be a new DF version released in a week or so.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 06:53:17 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 05:34:52 pm »

The game is changing very slowly as it’s developed by just one person. I discovered it in 2012 and it feels like it only slightly evolved since then.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 01:01:46 pm »

Really? Huh. I play off and on so have been coming back at times with a few releases between my binges, and there seems to have been a lot in the past five years!

I guess maybe though I've just gotten use to viewing it as one person's work, and not comparing it to a game that would have like teams working on it constantly. But it still seems to be evolving noticeably.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 12:27:36 pm »

I agree a lot has changed, i used to crash at like 150 dwarves now im up over 270; thought that could jsut be my computer power increasing.  i used to use a laptop and with tileset and anything besides therapist would bring total dwarves to like 70-100 before crashing so i never did; also im more wondering what is still compatible/ being updated w/ new updates for DF i feel like i remember having to download old versions of DF jsut to have therapist or other things work in conjunction.

i see mention of lazy newb pack; is that compatible with the most recent version?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 04:03:52 pm »

No. The latest version is about a week old, so tools have not caught up (there is an experimental DT available). Also, it's badly bug ridden (as the first version of an arc tends to be [females giving birth die to dehydration, as their babies ride them, and thus control their movement, for instance]), so if you actually want to play you should use 0.44.12 (but don't raid: that will crash the game eventually, due to a bug), although some consider the need satisfaction to be too imbalanced to be playable, in which case you'd go for 0.44.09.
The game will probably stabilize in a month or two, with tools catching up.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 04:38:31 pm »

Fort mode in 47.01 and win64 and OldGenesis major mod, doesn't seem to crash in fort mode (does crash in long worldgen and embark_with_naturalskills).
Seems pretty stable to me, a non-adventurer.

47.01 brings citizens asking for specific deity temples (at 10 worshippers) and worker Guildhalls (at 10 farmers, for example).
No ruins to Reclaim-embark in 47.01, as far as my worldgens look.
Flying mount bug, can't steer. Baby uses mother as horse -bug.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 05:09:50 pm »

No. The latest version is about a week old, so tools have not caught up (there is an experimental DT available). Also, it's badly bug ridden (as the first version of an arc tends to be [females giving birth die to dehydration, as their babies ride them, and thus control their movement, for instance]), so if you actually want to play you should use 0.44.12 (but don't raid: that will crash the game eventually, due to a bug), although some consider the need satisfaction to be too imbalanced to be playable, in which case you'd go for 0.44.09.
The game will probably stabilize in a month or two, with tools catching up.
Wow. Just turn off babies. 47.01 is the most playable .01 I've ever played. Basically no game breaking bugs unless you go out of your way to find them (don't mount your flying pet though).

Play and enjoy. Don't listen to grumpy old dwarves who nitpick and tell you that necromancers appearing in migrant waves will ruin your game. May as well not play at all if you're worried about bugs in Dwarf Fortress.

No ruins to Reclaim-embark in 47.01, as far as my worldgens look.
4 ruins for reclaim in my current world. Maybe less than usual. Perhaps pops are moving into old sites quicker now. Something Toady tweaked to ensure more movement in the world? Perhaps just the Merc groups. Kobolds seem to grab places pretty quickly in this version anyway.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 05:25:37 pm by Shonai_Dweller »