Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 142

Author Topic: Mystville [Game Thread]  (Read 113725 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mystville [Game Thread]
« Reply #1410 on: April 01, 2020, 09:44:53 am »

"So I can do magic but not advanced magic, do you have any idea of what kinds of magic I can do, and I don't know about artifacts but I have some random magic crap, I've got a skull emblem, a chess piece that does something, a bottle with lighting in it, a ancient loaf of bread, and this rod thing with spikes that rotate if you magic at it."

Burt then pauses when he hears the price of the test and stands there for a minute.

"I don't have 100 dollars, I've only got twenty."
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Frank

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: April 01, 2020, 02:16:32 pm »

((I should read things properly before asking questions, ahaha.))

((It's all good, it's what we're here for.))

"So I can do magic but not advanced magic, do you have any idea of what kinds of magic I can do, and I don't know about artifacts but I have some random magic crap, I've got a skull emblem, a chess piece that does something, a bottle with lighting in it, a ancient loaf of bread, and this rod thing with spikes that rotate if you magic at it."

"That bottle might be why your test resulted in electric sparks everywhere. Very peculiar."

Flo looks at the artifact curiously.

"You don't seem to have a particular affinity for any branch of magic, um, another way to put it would be that you are a blank slate. You can learn anything, and be able to learn and cast even advanced magic over time. You could take up electric magic to go with that bottle of yours, it can have a lot of interesting applications. Not just the usual destructive ones, machinists and illusionists put lightning currents to good use as well. Of course, you are free to look around the library if you are interested in something else instead."

((If you have any specific magic you are interested in let us know. If you want to decide between a list of magic types, ask the librarian to show you the books in the library and you can pick between them.))

"I don't have 100 dollars, I've only got twenty."

Flo looks a bit disappointed.

"Well, can't say I wasn't expecting that. That'll be 5g then."
:-(

Frank

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: April 01, 2020, 02:52:40 pm »

Hi, Zara. Maybe after the expedition you or your dad could teach me how to build things, and I could teach you and your sisters fighting skills to ward off the monsters. I’m going to the apocathary soon to get a potion for the one who asked for the switchblade. He had his armor on for so long and went so long without healing that he had various wounds which according to Lucy he should have died from...thinking about it now, maybe he’s some sort of undead creature who thinks he’s human. Each time he heals, there’s a green light. He calls them the Twin Gods. Have you ever heard of any Twin Gods?

"Sure, petals." Zara gives Reeta a playful smile. "I can fight alright, but there's always room to improve. My sisters are chumps though. You can try to teach 'em, if you can get 'em to focus on learning, instead of whining about how hard it is."

Benuto ponders Reeta's question for a moment. "Twin Gods, y'say? ...No, can't say I've heard of 'em. I'm not so much the worshipin' type these days. Priest'd probly know more than me about the local deities. Apothecarist is his wife, so she might know a lil somethin' too. Although if yer companion ain't from around here, these gods might not be common knowledge to us village folk."
Good that you’re able to fight. I will try to teach your sisters at some point. I’m heading to the alchemy shop for a health potion. After delivering the switchblade and health potion to the person they are for, I will head to the apocethsrist to try learning about the twins. Good luck on fixing the weapon. Hopefully we’ll head out soon to get more materials. Bye Zara, bye Ben Reeta then leaves the blacksmith and heads for the alchemy shop. hi. My name’s Reeta. I’m here to get a health potion for one of the party members. Reeta then gives the person working there 1 gold for the potion, hoping the slayer gave enough

Reeta loses 1g, gains 1 Small Healing Potion.
:-(

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: April 01, 2020, 03:02:02 pm »

Doctor Doak stands up and stretches, the tendons in his neck and back popping happily.

It's one thing understanding the theory behind something, another thing entirely being able to apply it practically.

Doctor Doak goes outside and finds some plants from which to practice drawing mana wells.

[Roll: 8/20]

Doctor Doak begins trying to draw energy from a patch of nearby plants.

Doing as instructed by the books, he holds out his arms, palms forward, and concentrates on the plants in front of him.

After a little while, he feels small amounts of energy seeping into his hands. The energy stays in his hands for a few moments before being absorbed by the rest of his body, making him feel slightly more energized than before.

[Doctor Doak's Nature Magic skill level has increased by 1 to 2!]
[Doctor Doak has learned the spell Draw Minor Mana Well!]

Laemmle came back to the quest giver. Explaining a bad news to him and giving him the tracked left items from his lost cat.

Maus solemnly accepts the ripped collar, looking at it for a moment in uncertainty.

"Mocha could still be out there maybe? I don't know what could have done this to her, but she's always been a tough cat."

He sighs, resigned to the possibility that he may never see his cat again.

"Well, thank you for taking an interest in this, and for finding and returning her collar."

He hands Laemmle 5 gold pieces. "If you do somehow find her out there, please bring her back safely."

[Laemmle +5 GP]

Spoiler: Creepy girl (click to show/hide)
"That's... sadistic... but sure. Sure. It might take days, though."

"Excellent!" She manages a smile. "I'll be waiting."

She walks off, the masked hunk following after her.
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: April 01, 2020, 03:20:49 pm »

Thank you Reeta says as she heads back to the shrine. GS, I got your items. she says as she gives him the switchblade and health potion. Now can we go out into the forest like we said we were going to do?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:46:35 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: April 01, 2020, 05:45:47 pm »

Doctor Doak returns to his room, expecting to return to his studies when he clocks the note left by Jack.

He reads it, nodding to himself. He opens the third book to the necessary section and re-reads it, making sure he remembers it correctly.

He returns outside. Heading to the apothecary, he requests some jars to grow some mushrooms, showing off the half mushroom that Jack gave him and promising to bring more in case the apothecarist asks for payment.

On his way back to his room, he gathers some materials to aid in growing the mushrooms, and places the half-mushroom in a jar with that.

Once he reaches his room, use nature magic to grow some mushrooms, before studying book 4 in preparation for more practice later.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: April 01, 2020, 08:42:39 pm »

Jack was once again sitting underneath the large pine he had selected to be the main upright for his shack, reading. Mama was disappointed in him for not being able to secure more of that delicious food from the innkeeper, and was giving him a bit of the cold shoulder.

He was bittersweet about it-- It was good that he wasn't reinforcing her association if human places of habitation with delicious high quality foods, but on the other, it felt like he had failed in some duty, somehow.  He wanted to make it right, but was very tired from all the work he had done that day. The nap had helped, but his shoulders still hurt from using the hatchet, and his head still felt fuzzy from trying magic (perhaps a little too hard.)

He thumbed through the first book again, re-reading several of the chapters he had glossed as silly foolishness earlier in the afternoon. The chapters on using plants to enhance magical potential of practitioners caught his eye, and he slipped a leaf into the book to hold the page, then thumbed through the third book.

The third book was pretty much dedicated to ways to abuse the natural life forces of plants for the benefit of the practitioner. He did not much care for that one, (Taking anything you did not explicitly need was ethically insulting to him-- Especially if you were doing it oblivious to the consequences of such actions), but thoughts occurred to him. Perhaps he could combine the information of both books together into something not discussed in any of the books thus far--

He scratched in his beard, and returned to the first book, studying it more carefully.  Some of the diagrams suggested that placement of plants, and how well established they were, could be used to help direct and control ambient energies, sort of like how rocks in a flowing stream can create eddies and rapids behind them.

He decided that if he was going to try something like this, he would need to read some of the next book in the series-- specifically the section on manipulating root growth.  To do what he wanted to try, he would have to transplant living adult plants to specific spots, and help them get re-established, before making the real attempt at this project. The author was pretty straight forward in terms of concept and expected technique-- though they did tend to wander a bit in their delivery (frequently referencing other, previously mentioned chapters on things like stem and leaf growth, but this as probably just one of the caveats of reading out of order. To compensate, Jack had to spot-read and flip back and forth between chapters to fully grasp this one, and it was a bit annoying.)  He read, then re-read, then re-read again to be sure he had it right, before returning to the marked section in th first book, which had a small botanical guide about plant species and families, and some of their properties and habits, and taking a quick look around the shack to see what he had available, before returning to his spot at the foot of the tree.

There were a few of the plants in the list, but it was hardly an exhaustive one. The author had not fully explored Every plant's properties-- Book 1 in the series would have been a massive tome of bailed paper had that been the case-- but it did give a useful section in its appendix on how to evaluate unknown plants for their potentials and habits, and some rules of thumb about how certain communities of plants tended to naturally cooperate or compete with each other, and how those affected these relationships in terms of magical enhancement or impediment.

He picked up a stick from the ground, pushed the fallen needles aside to get to the bare earth beneath, then began scratching out possible planting arrangements, and then considering the implications they would have based on what he had read, sometimes scratching out ideas with his foot and scratching new ones in their place, sometimes moving positions, or considering different kinds of plant in that spot, before settling on something he thought might work, and work with what was locally available.

Placing leaves in each of the sections of the books as bookmarks, he carefully closed them, re-examined the now rather arcane looking hen-scratch diagram he had drawn in the dirt again, then began the laborious process of measuring out and marking the places he would move plants to.

His intention was to make a small "garden" of sorts-- Not that people would recognize it as any kind of useful garden considering what was going to be planted-- mostly plants that had no immediate use to humans; Wild weeds and the like.  Yet, By simply being placed where they were being placed, they would alter and modify how ambient mana flowed through the area, creating small currents. The concept was again, analogous to rocks carefully placed into a flowing stream, to create a mighty vortex current, using the wakes the rocks left as the water flowed past them. In this case though, some plants circulated mana more aggressively than others, and that difference could be used to "create" the flow of the stream, and their placement, along with others that further deflected or altered that flow in other ways, could further refine and direct that flow.  It would be small and subtle-- large differences needed more force to sustain, so this effect would be very subtle and probably unnoticeable to anyone that was not extremely sensitive to such changes, but would not be ultimately harmful to any of the plants moved or placed.

The ultimate goal of the arrangement, which was spread out at strange angles and seemingly foolish placements around the computed epicenter, was to direct a very weak but continuous flow inward toward a central position.  He had elected to use the huge, tall pine he was had been sitting under as this focus, and to "reverse-apply" the information contained in book 3 of the set, such that instead of tapping the tree for its own energy, the flow would gently go into the tree, and fill it up-- This should, he felt, allow it to be tapped in the manner the book had prescribed, without any of the potential harm a raw and forceful tapping would cause for the poor thing, as energy would slowly pour back into it to replace what was taken.  The force of the redirected ambient mana would be sufficiently low that it would not actually hurt the tree if too much was provided-- it would just get pushed "upwards", and then spill over the top like an invisible fountain's spray and disperse outside the planting, then get recirculated again.

This was some pretty advanced stuff, and he was not sure he would get it right-- but he had gone over the material many many many times as he had been scratching out potential configurations in the dirt.  He felt there was a reasonable chance this could work as intended, and-- if it didnt, the low-level gradients involved would not be any more harmful than a random planting would.  If nothing else, the experience would be educational, so he set about his work, marking angles, placements, digging holes, and then transplanting plants from various donor locations under and around the forest edge's canopy.

Jack attempts to combine lessons in books 1,2, 3, and 4 to create a small area around his shack that will naturally concentrate native mana levels into a low-level aura centered on the tree his house is leaning on. Uses "plant-growth" and "root manipulation" (as best he is able to do at this time) to help get the plants established. If he runs out of "steam", he will use mundane methods to help re-establish the plants after transplant, such as watering them in and giving them mulch.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:50:52 pm by wierd »

invul_nerable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: April 02, 2020, 02:43:43 am »

Thank you Reeta says as she heads back to the shrine. GS, I got your items. she says as she gives him the switchblade and health potion. Now can we go out into the forest like we said we were going to do?
The slayer finally finished gearing up, completely disregarding his old armor.

"I said that?" The ironclad slayer said as he wore his helmet, his voice changed when saying the word that when he finally fit in the helmet in his head.

"Okay then, if you insist."

GSH follows Reeta to the forest.

Remuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Laemmle the Sparkly Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: April 02, 2020, 07:08:04 am »

Laemmle proceed on the next Side Quest. She ask the quest giver how is the child look like and where is the last scene of him as he known.
I answer the call, from now on my sword always be with you.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: April 02, 2020, 07:40:10 am »

"So I can learn any kind of magic that's neat, so can I learn all the different types and become a super wizard or is that something you can't do? Also as neat as lighting magic sounds I'd like to see my options before I pick something."

Burt then pays the 5g.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: April 02, 2020, 12:34:26 pm »

Doctor Doak returns to his room, expecting to return to his studies when he clocks the note left by Jack.

He reads it, nodding to himself. He opens the third book to the necessary section and re-reads it, making sure he remembers it correctly.

He returns outside. Heading to the apothecary, he requests some jars to grow some mushrooms, showing off the half mushroom that Jack gave him and promising to bring more in case the apothecarist asks for payment.

On his way back to his room, he gathers some materials to aid in growing the mushrooms, and places the half-mushroom in a jar with that.

Once he reaches his room, use nature magic to grow some mushrooms, before studying book 4 in preparation for more practice later.

[Roll: 14/20]

Using similar techniques as plant growth, Doctor Doak is able to grow a Forest Mushroom.

[Doctor Doak obtains Forest Mushroom]
[Doctor Doak learns the spell Minor Fungus Growth]
[Doctor Doak gains some Nature Magic experience; 30% to next level]

He then resumes his studies of book 4.

Jack attempts to combine lessons in books 1,2, 3, and 4 to create a small area around his shack that will naturally concentrate native mana levels into a low-level aura centered on the tree his house is leaning on. Uses "plant-growth" and "root manipulation" (as best he is able to do at this time) to help get the plants established. If he runs out of "steam", he will use mundane methods to help re-establish the plants after transplant, such as watering them in and giving them mulch.

[Roll: 15/20]

Jack is able to find a good abundance of various mana-generating plants around the vicinity, as he then goes around replanting them near the tree his house is leaning on. After some time, Jack establishes a well arranged mana-generating garden of sorts.

The slayer finally finished gearing up, completely disregarding his old armor.

"I said that?" The ironclad slayer said as he wore his helmet, his voice changed when saying the word that when he finally fit in the helmet in his head.

"Okay then, if you insist."

GSH follows Reeta to the forest.

GSH and Reeta walk to the forest's edge. To the northwest is the route towards the tower; To the north and northeast, unexplored stretches of trees.
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: April 02, 2020, 01:31:32 pm »

If we are going for ingredients for the blacksmith, maybe we can head North. What do you think? Do you have a preference on which direction we take?

invul_nerable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: April 02, 2020, 08:56:49 pm »

If we are going for ingredients for the blacksmith, maybe we can head North. What do you think? Do you have a preference on which direction we take?
"Anywhere with a greenskin to kill is a good direction..." The slayer said, "Hmmm you have any idea where we can find one? Except for the doctor of course, I would save him for last as gratitude for his help."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: April 02, 2020, 09:11:55 pm »

"Anywhere with a greenskin to kill is a good direction..." The slayer said, "Hmmm you have any idea where we can find one? Except for the doctor of course, I would save him for last as gratitude for his help."
Not sure exactly, since the forest is north, let’s go north, since northwest, north and northeast all involve north Go North

A5G_Reaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: April 03, 2020, 12:46:49 am »

Reeta and the slayer went further north.

The trails left by the villagers slowly faded back to nature as hours passed. Eventually, they were surrounded by still-untouched part of the woods. It wasn't too thick yet, the vegetations still quite young, the shade cast under the crown giving way to occasional ray of sunlight.

The serenity was broken by a sound of groaning surprisingly close by. In a nearby clearing, a person was crawling very slowly on the ground. The deathly pale skin made strong contrast with the long trail of blood spreading on their path.

To Northwest, North, Northeast, and Southeast are unexplored patch of healthy forest. To Southwest was an explored path, also healthy. To South was the village the two came from.

What would you do?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 12:48:48 am by A5G_Reaper »
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 142