Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 142

Author Topic: Mystville [Game Thread]  (Read 112340 times)

Slyph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mystville [Game Thread]
« Reply #1995 on: April 12, 2021, 09:52:27 am »

It was wet, damp, full of annoying insects; the flying kind, the crawling kind, the slithering kind... you name it and there was no possible camping spot to protect her from all of those.

And there was a monster. in. the. lake. God! Can you believe it?

Again, Linea was wondering if all this pursuit was worth it. Theoretically, she could just abandon this mission, file in the details on why this one was unsuccessful, and then go home. That...If only she could stomach seeing her mentor sighing after reading her report and realize she had been lying to her.

This had been the third time Linea heating her own body using fire magic, not wanting to examine what kind of creature had glued itself on her skin.

Once in a while, she activated her notebook

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: April 15, 2021, 02:18:09 am »

While getting away from the lake edge was good, there was simply no dry area to sleep on.

At all.

Where it was not straight up boggy wet, it was muddy, soft, and cold.  You coudn't even dig in the stuff to build it up.  Not a quality stone to be found either.  Even the trees looked unhappy here, draped in their curtains of dripping moss. The very notion of dry leaves was a farce.

Jack was *very* displeased.  While he liked mama well enough, wallowing in the muck with her did not sound at all pleasurable, and to be fair, she did not seem terribly pleased with the spot either.  Not that it mattered, because every spot was like that in this damned muddy hole.

All around, the faces he saw spoke to the same displeasure and distaste. Hell, it would be one thing if they had a damn boat to sleep in or something-- Sure was wet enough!

--And the bugs.  Gods the little bloodsuckers were more relentless than taxmen.

.. What they needed to do, was get higher up.  The trees were stately, but offered no real purchase with their gnarled roots beneath otherwise featureless smooth bark going up high overhead before the first branches appeared.  Cypress, he thought he had heard them called at one point.

At this point, he was ready to try anything--  He hadn't practiced the magic at all-- only read it..  But he was gonna try anyway.  Gods Damn it, he and Mama were gonna sleep on something DRY tonight.

That anger-fueled determination saw the old bastard through a long, arduous slog through the muck, hunting for tree seeds.

The effort was not well rewarded.  The trees here were indeed in a bad way, and had not shed seeds in a long time.  The ones he found were clearly more than a year old, waterlogged, and probably no good.   Keeping only the most promising from among those he found, he had about 4 or 5 total.

Maybe he could make it work anyway..  He was so angry, he didn't really care anymore.  In red-faced frustration, he stuffed them into the soggy earth, and tried to coax them to grow...  Only a single one sprouted, and it was sickly, and refused to grow bigger than a sprout before succumbing to whatever malign influence was at work in this poor forest.

Sinking back in the mud in crushing defeat, he leaned back against one of the tall trees, and bonked his head on a stiff, hard protrusion sticking out from it. Irritatedly, he turned to see what it was, to see that it was a woody (and totally inedible) shelf bracket mushroom.  Normally he would not be at all interested in such a thing-- Not really useful for much; Sure, you can turn them into kindling cloth if you have the time and expertise, but here?  No--- No, what excited him at this discovery, were the images he had rushing through his mind, several days ago, back in town-- when he managed to grow giant mushrooms.  A giant version of one of these small fungi?  A person might JUST be able to sleep on top of it!  AND it would be DRY!

Excitedly, he yanked the mushroom off the side of the ailing tree's trunk, then hunted for suitably compromised trees to work with. Given that this would probably kill the trees he did this to, he wanted only the sickliest, and least likely to survive this catastrophe to begin with-- Depending on how you view it, it was arguably a good thing, as he found a cluster that fit the bill.

Grinning like a crazy old fool, he cut small slivers from the base of the sample mushroom, then cut notches into the trunks of the trees he had picked out, shoved the slivers into the notches, and then poured everything he had into them.

Almost violently, huge shelves of woody fungus erupted from the sides of the trees.  Nicely sized too. Definitely big enough to sleep on.

Perhaps it was best to stick with what you knew. 

Mama had been watching his furious rummagings and crazy slogging through the muck, wondering about his sanity.  She was still looking at him confusedly, not understanding the significance of giant mushrooms that you cant eat.  He cradled her soggy wet head, and gave her a big kiss on her forehead, then climbed on top of one of the mushrooms, and laid down.

[Nice and dry]

he broadcast at her, with a devious smile.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: April 15, 2021, 02:50:10 am »

From the tiny wooden platforms they had made, concealed in the foliage and underbrush, the bogling sentries first observed explosions near the recent worship site, then watched  a giant bird descend, and fly up over the top of the lake, heading for the village.

Readying spears, rocks, and nets, should the creature land, they were prepared to do what they must. 

Suddenly, one of the tall, pink skinned things from the south fell out of the sky, and impacted into the mud with a splash.  It had clearly been riding the giant bird.
Orders were chittered quietly, and the nets and rocks that had been made ready for he bird were now made ready for this intruder. 

The Centipede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: April 15, 2021, 03:05:36 am »

Her entry must've not been as inconspicuous as she hoped, as she could hear the light tapping of mud all around her. She sighed. There is no hope for peace in this world.

She grabs from his bag and equips her new favourite leather face-mask, unholsters her flintlock, and begins shooting a mixture of fire, ice and gunfire at visible nearby targets while trying her best to dodge and weave around their attacks.
I have a YouTube channel.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: April 15, 2021, 03:55:32 am »

Without warning, the stranger unloaded with some blasphemous sorcery, and diabolical big-person weapon.

It got off 3 shots, killing one sentry, and wounding 4 more.

The loudness of the explosions alerted the other sentries and town guards, who came to the fray quickly, trying nets, rocks, and spears.

With almost unimaginable flexibility, the intruder effortlessly dodged the nets, Took a single rock that bounced harmlessly off.

Orders were chittered-- more lethal means were authorized-- Spears began to fly, with the vast majority landing harmlessly around the dancing and twisting figure.  The clan chieftan took steady aim, and launched his spear, getting a dead hit in the center of the stranger's chest, knocking the air from it with a thud.

In the moment it was incopacitated, every sentry from the village jumped on top, in a smothering heap.

The Centipede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: April 15, 2021, 04:12:47 am »

Guh! It was the only attack that really hit her too. It'd only slightly pierced her skin, but the impact... This must be how getting stepped on by Dularach feels.

The spear fell off from her chest on its own as the villagers piled on her, and she was too winded to stop it before she couldn't. Ugh, the increasing suffocation from these sweaty pudgy bodies weighing down on her... Wait, their sweat?

A cold crept from Dixie's form. Their sweat drops turn to ice, and the ice grows to freeze the rest of their bodies, although... It doesn't really solve the problem of their bodies still pinning Dixie, and she eventually passes out.
I have a YouTube channel.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: April 17, 2021, 11:29:16 pm »

Kothrias tilts his head and looks pensive for a moment "If yer armored bloke was a dwarf than I'd shrug it off but I nay think this person is a dwarf..." he put it thoughtfully before simply slumping his shoulders "Bah probably nothing though." Kothrias said dismissively.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: April 21, 2021, 12:39:34 am »

"Would be the tallest dwarf I've ever heard of--  Though I cant rule it out I suppose. Never seen them out of that armor they wear. As far as I know, they sleep in that getup. More, they seem intent on having everyone and their dog get impaled by accident by digging pit traps all over town.  Somebody really should talk with them about that, before somebody gets hurt.  The locals have been talking lately.  We already have a rash of missing persons to deal with you know."

Arven produces a simple cloth sack from under the counter, and hands it to Kothrias.  It contains a healing potion, a small quantity of gold, and a voucher for a piece of leather armor. (of the holder's choice.)

"In the mean time, this should get you started.  We have a blacksmith and an apothecary in town.  Mr Lucy has been attending to outstanding medical and... veterinary.. needs as they arise-- The twins run the library and magic store.  Our resident sorcerer has been investigating the forest for some time, and may have some information for you if you catch him at a good time.  The innkeeper has an arrangement with us for lodgings.  Thanks again for answering our recruitment efforts."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: April 21, 2021, 04:24:37 am »

Burt's trip to the adventures HQ was a slow one do to all the damned pit traps that have been dug all around the outside of the town but after several minutes he finally got past the damn things and headed into the town proper.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: April 21, 2021, 04:59:56 am »

Just as Arven is finishing up with his new membership outfitting efforts, Burt bursts through the door totally unannounced.

"Ahh, Looks like the deer headed fellow with the trigger finger-- Master Kothrias, Meet Burt.  He's another of the adventurers that has answered our advertisement. "

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: April 22, 2021, 05:14:09 am »

Burt Glared at Arven before saying "Don't be calling me that." He then turned to the dwarf said hello, then turned back to Arven and said "So has anything interesting happened since I was last here, and can we do something about that tin plated idiot digging all these fucking holes, it look for ever to find a safe way to get here because of all his damned holes."
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: April 22, 2021, 05:53:52 am »

Arven looks a bit frazzled, but also somewhat amused.

"My apologies sir, I just.. Don't have a proper term to describe your ...unique... features. I meant nothing by it.  As for work; There is a local family with a missing child that would like somebody to look into the disappearance. The apothecary might like someone to do some field work collecting ingredients, since the work is much more dangerous lately, and demand is high...  With all the animals going crazy for so long, several of the local farmers are behind on their farmwork, and would appreciate the help, even if that is outside your normal call of duty...Your associates are out on a fool's errand for the Mayor at the moment of course-- As for... That individual--- They've already been arrested for disorderly conduct and attempted assault once before-- Short of assigning them a town guard as a chaparone, I was actually hoping one of your group would do something about it."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 06:07:21 am by wierd »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: April 23, 2021, 04:28:53 am »

"I'm not that unique I know of several more of my kind, and as for the tin idiot do you guys want me to shove him into one of his holes and bury him or something?" Burt then stands there for a minute before saying "You know anything more about this missing kid, because I could help with that maybe."

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: April 23, 2021, 08:08:04 pm »

Kothrias grunted in response to the brusque greeting and rude interruption of the horned stranger that Arven introduced as Burt, decidedly his opinion of Burt was starting off quite negative because of the man's lack of manners. After a lull in their conversation the dwarf piped up "I'd nay be opposed teh a wee bit o' dirty work, so if these pitfalls need filling I'll gladly help with it." he told Arven.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 12:02:31 pm by Horizon »
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: April 24, 2021, 02:32:55 am »

Arven raises an eyebrow, the smiles politely.

"Oh good, I have been getting my ear chewed off by the Davenports, asking when somebody would be available to look for their son.  I asked Mrs Davenport for whatever details she could offer concerning her son's disappearance, but she insisted that was MY job. How she expects us to find her child with an attitude like that I can't fathom; It's one of the reasons the case hasn't gone anywhere.  I would try her husband, Zeb, though. He's been pretty sullen since their boy's disappearance, and that hellcat wife of his (do NOT tell her I said that) doesn't seem to let him speak when they show up here demanding to know what we are doing. Try and get him away from her, and ask discretely, is my best suggestion. They live on the north east side of town. You can't miss it, their farmhouse is the one north east of the burn-scar, where the tents used to be."
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 142