Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: TBS and base building/management games with low system requirements  (Read 2366 times)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TBS and base building/management games with low system requirements
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 05:29:05 pm »

Outpost

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 06:02:17 pm »

In addition to the suggestions of this thread :
Age of Wonders Shadow Magic is a fantastic 4x and also had low requirement as i played that in a very old computer at the time without problems, played this one for years.
It still works on window10 if your laptop has it without a need of unofficial patch.
There's an unofficial patch 1.4 that adds more content and rebalance things (apparently some original devs contributed to the rebalancing) :
http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=661

Apparently there was an unofficial patch 1.5 released in 2019 but not much information and apparently not enough time to balance the new stuff, at least the version 1.4 is rock solid from what i had played
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=29,5651,,60

Imperialism II: Age of Exploration
no worry for the requirement too as i played this one on a very old computer many years ago.
It's a great 4x too with the main originality is being set in semi historical 16th century with the powers of the "old world" discovering the "new world" and colonizing it. Lots of fun with this one if you like the genre and the historical setup for it.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 06:23:04 pm »

Battle for Wesnoth

Fun TBS gameplay. Lots of campaigns. It's also free.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 12:14:26 am »

Your biggest problem is going to be the graphic card.  Darkest Dungeon isn't resource intensive, but it needs a decent graphics card as the intergrated intel card won't cut it (at least when it was released, I think they may have changed that recently).

Totally works with integrated graphics if you have a decent PC. One of my favorite games to play on my integrated graphics netbook.

I'll vouch for shadow magic, too.  Great 4x, not very resource hogging. In large maps late game turns can get sloooooow though.

Some more things:

Hack and Slash:
If you have an itch for hack and slash Torchlight 2 works very well on modern integrated graphics systems
IIRC Victor Vran works but I might be misremembering
Dead Cells works.
Blasphemous works (but Dead Cells is better)

RPGs:
- Old Baldur's gate games, of course. Either the originals or the remastered ones, matters but little.
- I can vouch that at the very least ShadowRun Deadman Switch and Dragonfall will work. Havent tried Hong Kong yet
- Neverwinter Nights 1 works very well. NWN 2 suffers from massive slowdowns
- Neither KOTOR 1 nor 2 play nice with integrated graphics. KOTOR 1 has massive bugs, KOTOR 2 crashes
- Haven't tried Darkwood yet but it should work.

Strategy:
- AI War 1 and 2 work
- Mount and Blade Warband works
- Nantucket works
- Infested Planet Works
- Warhammer Gladius (think Civilization-like game in Warhammer) works
-Another XCOM alternative: XENONAUTS.  If OpenXCOM isn't your thing you might try this. Then again it's quite similar to OldCOM, might as well stick with OpenXCOM
- As far as NewCOM goes, XCOM2 won't work but XCOM1 on low graphics just might
- Steamworld Heist works
- Big Pharma works (but hard as I tried I was never able to get into it)
On the more abstract side of strategy games: Spacecom and frozensynapse work. So does Reprisal Universe (remake of Populous)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:28:42 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 12:34:38 pm »

As usual, this forum did not disappoint.

Stuff I bought, all currently on sale:
- Age of wonders shadow magic
- Atom zombie smasher
- Dominions 4
- Curious expedition
- Steamworld Heist
- Frozen synapse
- Voidspire tactics
- Nantucket (I didn't know I needed a whaling game, but fuck yes)
- Battle for wesnoth (free game? really?)
- EDIT: and Invisible inc.

Plus various games already in my library and never installed. I should be fine for six months.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Pages: 1 [2]