Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Armchair Economics Thread - Re-Resurrection  (Read 23631 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair Economics Thread - Resurrection
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2021, 12:00:48 pm »

There's a feminist who suggests that a monetary value be placed on housework + childcare so that more women could participate in a regulated labor market and enjoy workplace protections/make use of existing labor law :)

???
I can't even imagine the unintended consequences from that sort of thing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2021, 12:19:42 pm »

Indeed, as my dad always said: "A man's work is from sun to sun; a woman's work is never done."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2021, 12:55:22 pm »

How about people who cook their own food every day instead of ordering pizza or going to a restaurant?

They are paid in a longer, healthier life

I foresee troubles with workplace safety inspectors. "No children on the workfloor!"

Children used as unpaid labour!
Love, scriver~

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2021, 12:24:17 am »

Can you have a conversation of "what should be included in the GDP" without putting it within the context of "what should be taxed and who should be the recipients of that tax"?

GDP is an estimate of value for the purpose of negotiating transactions and taxation on those transactions.

Taxation is a substitute for banditry.

I would argue that mowing your lawn should not be included in GDP because the product of that activity cannot be stolen (even though it could be destroyed). The lawnmower should be taxed, because that lawnmower could be stolen. The payments for a lawn-mowing business should be taxed, because it could be stolen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So how do you measure the value of that which cannot be stolen but can be destroyed? Is there an economic index for that? Because that seems to be what is needed.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2021, 01:00:47 am »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2021, 01:04:11 am »

please explain how a…urinal?…sink?…oddly shaped storage unit?…whatever that is relates to this. I have no idea what you’re trying to convey. I’m sorry

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2021, 01:13:11 am »

please explain how a…urinal?…sink?…oddly shaped storage unit?…whatever that is relates to this. I have no idea what you’re trying to convey. I’m sorry

Its a famous 'sculpture'/found art piece, essentially the artist took a urinal, laid it on its side, and put his name on the side of it.

Point being, the artist didn't make the urinal/work-of-art, only put it in a museum gallery.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2021, 01:15:48 am »

I refuse to explain myself.  But for background you are presumably missing see: https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-duchamps-urinal-changed-art-forever  Beyond that thinking is required. 

(ah, ninja'd, but have this anyways...)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2021, 02:33:43 am »

I refuse to explain myself.  But for background you are presumably missing see: https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-duchamps-urinal-changed-art-forever  Beyond that thinking is required. 

(ah, ninja'd, but have this anyways...)

Its a famous 'sculpture'/found art piece, essentially the artist took a urinal, laid it on its side, and put his name on the side of it.

Point being, the artist didn't make the urinal/work-of-art, only put it in a museum gallery.
thank you both

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2021, 06:21:28 am »

I am, politically, a Neo-Menshevik (faction during the Russian Revolution that opposed the authoritarian Bolsheviks and was more democratic and somewhat more moderate). Economically I support what amounts to China-style state capitalism, except minus the oligarchs: the government controls a large part of the economy (including important industries such as energy and medicine) while leaving the minor industries to the market-- with intervention in case of consumer and/or employee rights abuses. I will be honest, I don't give a damn about capitalism if it's heavily regulated like that. I just don't feel the need to waste the government's time and money on controlling the production of jeans.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2021, 06:54:12 am »

Uh... GDP isn't related to taxation, other than taxes are I think included in the government spending component.

GDP = Gross Domestic Product, it's a measure that is intended to represent the economic activity of a large entity like a country.  I can't remember the formula off the top of my head, but I'm sure the internet can help you there:  The one I remember I think is consumption plus government spending plus investment plus net exports.

Yeah ok so I looked, Wiki says it's "a measure of the market value of all goods and services produced within a time period."  So I guess it should theoretically include mowing your own lawn, since that is a service...?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2021, 11:18:07 am »

Your formula sounds right, I think…it’s been a few years since I took a Macro-economics class. Is there something that subtracts imports too? Wait that’s what net exports are whoops

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2021, 01:11:24 pm »

So how do you measure the value of that which cannot be stolen but can be destroyed?

I greatly enjoyed your post on inalienable property.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair Economics Thread
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2021, 03:51:29 pm »

As for the 'rent-seeking' stuff how the hell are traditional dividends not a classic example of it? 

More deeply I don't know how one can distiguish profit-seeking from rent-seeking in any rigorous way in the real world - the wage relation itself is a form of rent-seeking since the printers are deprived of part of their labouring efforts by the owner of the printing press; the waitress by the cafe owner; and the cafe owner by the mega-corp franchise.

Beyond any economic (read narrowly as monetary) relation one thing a UBI does is to free up the time investment otherwise demanded by wage labour.

Dividends and "traditional" profit are gains you get from productive work. Rent seeking is getting paid for no productivity.  Traditional dividends are not directly rent-seeking, because they are (traditionally) paid for  out of the profits of a productive enterprise.  Theoretically if the company in which you own shares doesn't make a profit, you don't get dividends.

If you make a ton of money building widgets and selling that at a mark-up, that's profit-making.  If you already sold someone a widget and make customers pay you to keep using it, that's rent-seeking. Calling software development a "subscription" because you force updates on people every month: rent-seeking.

If you profit by buying low and selling high, that's neither profiting from productivity or rent-seeking, that's playing the market, and should also be discouraged (see: massive windfall profits of natural gas companies in Texas; also see "lucky" people who bought Bitcoin at $1 or some now-massive stock at low price. Basically I'd tax dividends at normal income rate, and tax gains due to sale of stock at some much higher price).

If I were to seriously look at creating a policy, I'd look at encouraging profits from productivity and discouraging rent-seeking and buy-low-sell-high profit.  I'm still pondering how to address real-estate abuse; probably some combination of taxing non-residence property based on total amount of non-residence property owned and mandating that rental payment by the residents confers ownership share.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2021, 05:03:24 pm »

As for the 'rent-seeking' stuff how the hell are traditional dividends not a classic example of it? 

More deeply I don't know how one can distiguish profit-seeking from rent-seeking in any rigorous way in the real world - the wage relation itself is a form of rent-seeking since the printers are deprived of part of their labouring efforts by the owner of the printing press; the waitress by the cafe owner; and the cafe owner by the mega-corp franchise.

Beyond any economic (read narrowly as monetary) relation one thing a UBI does is to free up the time investment otherwise demanded by wage labour.

Dividends and "traditional" profit are gains you get from productive work. Rent seeking is getting paid for no productivity.  Traditional dividends are not directly rent-seeking, because they are (traditionally) paid for  out of the profits of a productive enterprise.  Theoretically if the company in which you own shares doesn't make a profit, you don't get dividends.

If you make a ton of money building widgets and selling that at a mark-up, that's profit-making.  If you already sold someone a widget and make customers pay you to keep using it, that's rent-seeking. Calling software development a "subscription" because you force updates on people every month: rent-seeking.

If you profit by buying low and selling high, that's neither profiting from productivity or rent-seeking, that's playing the market, and should also be discouraged (see: massive windfall profits of natural gas companies in Texas; also see "lucky" people who bought Bitcoin at $1 or some now-massive stock at low price. Basically I'd tax dividends at normal income rate, and tax gains due to sale of stock at some much higher price).

If I were to seriously look at creating a policy, I'd look at encouraging profits from productivity and discouraging rent-seeking and buy-low-sell-high profit.  I'm still pondering how to address real-estate abuse; probably some combination of taxing non-residence property based on total amount of non-residence property owned and mandating that rental payment by the residents confers ownership share.

The expectation is that true economic profit (not merely "accounting profit") should trend to zero if the markets actually work, due to competition forcing actors to undercut each other in pursuit of finite market share. Even in that imaginary zero-profit state there will still be "accounting profit" on the books, but it would fall to the minimum level of adequate compensation to justify what labor there is in managing the process (this is assuming a legal framework that rewards and requires this sort of top-down management to be done), effectively serving only as the "wages" of directing investment.

If true profits do not fall to zero (they don't), it's evidence that "economic rent" is being extracted through the influence of legal power, open coercion, or some other source of market failure. Economic rent is most obvious in land or resource rents; inheriting a small area of land in Manhattan might draw millions of dollars a month to its owner (who contributes literally nothing to justify this beyond their permission for others to make use of economic opportunities), and similarly control of an oilfield can draw profit in the thousands of percent on extraction (but requires a global regime of colluding producers to keep prices high).

But economic rent and rent-seeking obviously isn't confined to land-rent, and all its various forms can be easily re-expressed naively as "profit" or "dividends" that are in reality very difficult to separate from that notion of "productively earned profits" (it's hard to make that distinction without access to information that doesn't exist). The rent could be extracted through collusion or monopolism removing the influence of competition and allowing sustained price-fixing, through newer legal instruments such as intellectual property in patents, copyright, and trademarks, or through political control of tax revenue, for instance. Chattel slavery and debt slavery are, likewise, processes that can be likened to rent-seeking. Speculation in commodities and securities is a process that is similarly motivated by that same drive of rent-seeking, relying upon fraud, market manipulation, or insider information to make any "true profit" (beyond the mere accounting profit of the possibly-useful facilitation of transactions which rapidly trends to zero or devolves to gambling).

So basically, I agree with feelo that profit-seeking and rent-seeking are almost identical. The motive force behind the oft-celebrated process of market "innovation" is the temporary monopoly the first entrant into a market gains, giving them a period of high rents and a leg-up in suppressing competition going forward (or, more typically, the attractive prospect of selling out to a more successful monopolizer at a massive return on their original capital, that monopolizer themselves typically bankrolled by rents from another source).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26