Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Defenders of the Valley [Roll for Shoes] - OOC Thread [2/5]  (Read 1443 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Defenders of the Valley [Roll for Shoes] - OOC Thread [2/5]
« on: January 26, 2020, 09:39:11 pm »

IC Thread

Pestilence and death have spread through your region, ever since the Dark Lords had set their sight on the Kingdom of Samith. Though your village have never had much protection from the Crown, as usual, the little people become the first casualties of war.

Founded centuries ago, or so the elders claim, the community of Kiodan's Valley have formed around the stronghold that once held a gateway to the realms of the Fae. Now it lays crumbling and is simply a farming community. It wasn't a border village, but as the forces of darkness pushed forth, the war will soon come to them, and the refugees have flocked to settle among the ruins.

The elders have called for a meeting. It is time to repair the stronghold, and prepare for war. Whether you are a community fixture, a mercenary, or an adventurer, you are among the militia drafted to defend and manage the village in this time of war.

This is an experimental campaign using the Roll for Shoes system, which is basically like Roll to Dodge in terms of simplicity and focus on slapstick and hilarious player failures, as well as character generation during gameplay.

Quote from: Da rules
  • Say what you do and roll a number of d6s.
  • If the sum of your roll is higher than the opposing roll, the thing you wanted to happen, happens.
  • The number of d6s you roll is determined by the level of the skill you have.
  • At start, you have only one skill: Do anything 1.
  • If you roll all sixes, you get a new skill specific to the action, one level higher than the one you used.
  • For every roll you fail, you get 1 XP.
  • XP can be used to change a die into a 6 for advancement purposes only.

I'm notoriously bad at staying interested in an experimental campaign, but we'll see how far we get. This will be done on Discord.

Player List

Player: Naturegirl1999
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Player: King Zultan

Player: Doomblade187
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:13:50 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Defenders of the Valley [Roll for Shoes] - Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 08:50:32 am »

Ouch, okay. Let me bump this again. I'm going to let it die if nobody bites this time.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 09:32:41 am »

where's the discord link? I would like to play

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 09:47:07 am »

Where does it say anything about Discord, if there is no Discord required I'm interested.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 10:04:32 am »

I wanted to do it on Discord, but doing it on the forum is fine too.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Defenders of the Valley [Roll for Shoes] - Interest Check [2/5]
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 10:44:30 am »

This will be done on Discord.
I thought I looked this over thoroughly for something like that but I guess I missed it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 05:25:31 pm »

We can’t do it if there’s no link, @Cinder please post a link to Discord on this topic so we may join

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 09:38:19 pm »

King Zultan doesn't have a Discord so I guess we'll be doing it on forum. Once I get my motivation back because that initial lack of interest really took away most of my enthusiasm.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 09:53:23 pm »

The forum is good, I am on here more often than Discord anyway, do we make a character yet or do you want us to wait? Would you like me to generate random maps for you to pick from?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 09:56:32 pm »

I'll prep up some questions and make the IC thread when I have the energy to.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 06:31:56 am »

Once I get my motivation back because that initial lack of interest really took away most of my enthusiasm.
I was going to post as soon as I saw it, but I had to restart FireFox and apparently it decided to get rid of the page.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Defenders of the Valley [Roll for Shoes] - OOC Thread [2/5]
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 09:45:03 am »

Here's the IC thread. I could've turned this thread into IC and forgo OOC, I guess, but I think it'd be more fun this way, plus I can drop gigantic text walls on my thoughts and take a joke system way too seriously.

Anyways, I was debating getting you guys to come up with NPCs to link yourselves to the community, but I felt that might be too annoying to do especially when the Valley itself isn't fleshed out, much. I'm thinking maybe I'll just randomly generate NPCs based on your connections instead.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 08:08:43 am »

Hey, guess who has two thumbs and forgot they have to update and waited for the thread to show up on unread replies?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 08:10:55 am »

By the way, I think I should probably clarify the damage system here now so that people don't get hit with Unexpected Deaths.

Failing damage resist rolls results in you getting a Wounded at (Location) 1 quality, which if you get damaged and fail to resist again will be rolled, against your damage resist roll again. (Yeah, it's a bit confusing) If you fail that roll, you get Mortal Wound at (Location) 2, and if you take damage the same thing earlier happens again and if you fail it, you die. This is on top of whatever complications you get from being wounded.

However, if you decide to rank up after taking damage, you'll specialize in Defending, whereas if you decide to rank up after a Damage Resist against Wounded, you'll specialize in Resiliency.

Example:

Spoiler: fixed example (click to show/hide)

As you can see though this system gives you plenty of chance but also the more wounded you are, the less likely you'll make it back from the brink. But also if you expose your character more often to combat, you'll get better at not dying!

This might not be a great explanation so please ask me questions if I confused you guys.

Also remember that you can choose to spend XP to buy a 6 for advancement purpose for any actions you have done in the previous post.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:28:17 am by Cinder »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 08:23:49 am »

So he has to roll 1 DR, if failed he has to roll a DR again for overall, if that one fails, he has to roll a DR for his wound
If he rolls a DR and it succeeds, he doesn’t get a wound
Did I get it right?
Pages: [1] 2