Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.47.01 Released  (Read 100723 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.47.01 Released
« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2020, 10:38:21 am »

Weird thing - I used a modded summon interaction to summon some sentient creatures in arena mode. When I used k to look at their descriptions in the default arena view (the one thats more like the fort mode view) it crashed the game.
However, when I took control of the summoner, used the interaction, and looked at the description again while still in control, it didnt crash.
Back in the fort mode view it crashed again. I'm not sure if this would translate to fort mode as well but it might be worth looking into if it does - it reminds me of a similar "looking at description" crash when a creature would be permanently transformed in worldgen into something that has descriptors i.e hair and eye colours and/or body part descriptions ("his ears have great, swinging lobes", etc.)

EDIT: Did some more fiddling, seems to happen only with creatures that are capable of speech. Not sure why.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 11:22:10 am by ZM5 »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2020, 01:14:33 pm »

I found a Goblin Castle in a new World which was invaded multiple times every single year from 56 (to 250, when the Worldgen ended. Not sure if that was supposed to happen.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 01, 2020, 01:32:40 pm »

Oh, right.

Goblins don't have diplomats (natively under usual circumstances without modding in after), they just fight until the other side gives up so probably in these fights they can't negotiate to stop.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #168 on: February 01, 2020, 01:53:35 pm »

I hope he changes it so that summoned creatures can build towers, undead are still required for towers unfortunately after a morning of testing :(
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2020, 02:37:19 pm »

Quote from: CaptainArchmage
I think at *least* the retreat should have been resettled... just, like, in my view. Or it should have remained occupied by undead...

Also Edit: While the retreat is depicted on the map as ruined it is home to 3 elves and a large menagerie of animals. I get ruined locations can and should still have inhabitants, but... it's not like it's hard to resettle them. Are there any reclaim mechanics for civs in worldgen?

Did it say who they were or if they had an entity?  Occasionally monasteries and other places become home to bandits, I think, which then, I think, stops the resettlement code from retriggering and they don't know how to "clear them out", which they should do more often.

Regarding this: The place was called Dumplingstuck.

Code: [Select]
588: Thinesipkat, "Dumplingstuck", monastery
1 human
1 human outcast
978: Evalathilēri, "Queenshore", forest retreat
3 elves
2 giant peregrine falcons
10 horses
2 giant chipmunks
2 kea
2 peregrine falcons
2 grizzly bears
2 giant dingoes
2 giant crows
2 yaks
2 giant gray squirrels
2 black bears

These were the two sites I mentioned - Monastery and forest retreat.

754: Ibomifava, "Lulledblazed", forest retreat
2 night's soldiers
4 disasters of Iral
4 beasts of Iral
51: Mīrulnish, "Pagetrades", fortress
7 dwarves
6 wolves of Idor
2 cats
6 Idor's creatures
25 cavies
2 ducks
2 guineafowls
2 blue peafowls

There are also these places, which were abandoned and not reclaimed. I think you're right, maybe they were overrun by bandits? It seems not enough is being done to clean them out of the area.

But they're not claiming the towns properly (at least it isn't showing up). In the case of Dumplingstuck, it was founded by "The Unholy Coven", but that's not shown on the text dump. Other monasteries are shown to have owners.

Quote from: Vordak
Could you provide a correct list of these unknown positions?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I haven't yet gotten to guilds, but I hope we have "Alderdwarves" actually named as such.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 02:44:24 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2020, 03:53:43 pm »

[post deleted by user]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 03:56:11 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2020, 04:52:24 pm »

Okay, Tried to create a custom experiment interaction. It didnt stop my summoners from being created but with the custom interaction as an option they were, strangely enough, unable to build towers. When i got rid of it they worked. With it they did the whole vampire, "go from village to village" thing. Not sure if thats  a bug.
I am an indie game dev!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2020, 05:48:23 pm »

Weird thing - I used a modded summon interaction to summon some sentient creatures in arena mode. When I used k to look at their descriptions in the default arena view (the one thats more like the fort mode view) it crashed the game.
However, when I took control of the summoner, used the interaction, and looked at the description again while still in control, it didnt crash.
Back in the fort mode view it crashed again. I'm not sure if this would translate to fort mode as well but it might be worth looking into if it does - it reminds me of a similar "looking at description" crash when a creature would be permanently transformed in worldgen into something that has descriptors i.e hair and eye colours and/or body part descriptions ("his ears have great, swinging lobes", etc.)

EDIT: Did some more fiddling, seems to happen only with creatures that are capable of speech. Not sure why.
Are you playing in windowed mode? Viewing the description of some creatures in arena crashes in windowed mode for some reason.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10831

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2020, 06:20:41 pm »

wondering if setting the world gen stop rate to earlier would have any affect on the speed necromancers would experiment, or is there a fix but Extremely Long rate necromancers and demons would take to start pumping out experiments. knowing what year would be perfect to stop at could help cut down on the slow process of generating longer worlds.
so far from my experience stopping the game around 120 would produce results but depending on the world size that might take a while to load in.

Maybe if he adds a way for experiments to die (right now they have  [NO_DRINK] [NO_EAT] and no maxage defined so they just live forever.(Someone extracted a bunch of the raws on the modding forum)
uhh I kinda want Experiments and their no eating and no drinking and immortality, this wouldn't solve my problem at all since I generate smaller years due to some of my civs horribly die out before I could play them. knowing when necromancers start experimenting would be better.

but like in bogeyman related questions, uhh do the 10 percent bogeymen showing up at evil regions mean I have to attempt the set up to get the cackling?
or like I have  to generate a world that for the evil region would instead of making undead animals they just produce bogeymen?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2020, 08:08:43 pm »

Dwarves have some more general relationship types now ... and they can also have multiple lovers or get divorced or have children before they are married.

New stuff
   (*) Romantic relationship changes (multiple lovers, affairs, children outside marriage, divorces, etc.) as well as other relationship changes and details (friendship/rival types, variables like trust, respect and loyalty)
I value immersion & "realism"... perhaps above most other features in a "game"... BUT
I'm hoping this new "feature" might be tempered with species, social, personality, and other influences so that it doesn't go too far into the extreme. To take this sort of presumed/encouraged, consequence-free, promiscuity-without-stigma, to the extreme, quite frankly, reminds me a bit too much of what is [arguably] weakening the fabric of our real life world today. Also to be non-judgemental is fine and good, but we're talking about dwarves here; who are USUALLY seen as a fairly conservative bunch/species.

I'm not trying to make a big stink here, or begin a debate/argument, or even get particularly philosophical, but
I AM asking for the option to choose and/or control this type of thing a bit in our own personal games:
Just how often this sort of thing might happen, or the type of personality to act on it would occur, or some other form of restriction (consequences perhaps for the civilization / religion / fort having an accepted practice that might provoke varying degrees of reaction when the accepted boundaries are crossed, depending of course on how far they are crossed... etc. E.g. the OPTION of realism, instead of only having the option where throwing in a feature that might be interesting to play around with in a fun/fantasy way completely takes over and changes the feel of the previous versions/workings of the game.

TLDR; I hope we either have more detailed information, or a few options/settings for tweaking how this new "dwarven sexuality system" works. I realize many people, especially those who do not have their own children in real life, might not think what I'm saying is worth worrying too much about, but I assure you; it can be kind of a big deal to many people.

So if no in-game options occur [by the dev(s)] to allow players to customize their dorf relationship system a bit, then hopefully by makers of mods (LNP, df hack? others?) will do so, and soon.
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 01, 2020, 08:15:18 pm »

I found a Goblin Castle in a new World which was invaded multiple times every single year from 56 (to 250, when the Worldgen ended. Not sure if that was supposed to happen.

Likewise, a goblin castle has been the site of a yearly battle for 90 years in a row.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 01, 2020, 08:25:21 pm »

-snip-

Please take this to the the Suggestion Forums before this thread is derailed.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 01, 2020, 08:25:58 pm »

Dwarves have some more general relationship types now ... and they can also have multiple lovers or get divorced or have children before they are married.

New stuff
   (*) Romantic relationship changes (multiple lovers, affairs, children outside marriage, divorces, etc.) as well as other relationship changes and details (friendship/rival types, variables like trust, respect and loyalty)
I value immersion & "realism"... perhaps above most other features in a "game"... BUT
I'm hoping this new "feature" might be tempered with species, social, personality, and other influences so that it doesn't go too far into the extreme. To take this sort of presumed/encouraged, consequence-free, promiscuity-without-stigma, to the extreme, quite frankly, reminds me a bit too much of what is [arguably] weakening the fabric of our real life world today. Also to be non-judgemental is fine and good, but we're talking about dwarves here; who are USUALLY seen as a fairly conservative bunch/species.

I'm not trying to make a big stink here, or begin a debate/argument, or even get particularly philosophical, but
I AM asking for the option to choose and/or control this type of thing a bit in our own personal games:
Just how often this sort of thing might happen, or the type of personality to act on it would occur, or some other form of restriction (consequences perhaps for the civilization / religion / fort having an accepted practice that might provoke varying degrees of reaction when the accepted boundaries are crossed, depending of course on how far they are crossed... etc. E.g. the OPTION of realism, instead of only having the option where throwing in a feature that might be interesting to play around with in a fun/fantasy way completely takes over and changes the feel of the previous versions/workings of the game.

TLDR; I hope we either have more detailed information, or a few options/settings for tweaking how this new "dwarven sexuality system" works. I realize many people, especially those who do not have their own children in real life, might not think what I'm saying is worth worrying too much about, but I assure you; it can be kind of a big deal to many people.

So if no in-game options occur [by the dev(s)] to allow players to customize their dorf relationship system a bit, then hopefully by makers of mods (LNP, df hack? others?) will do so, and soon.

I barely missed getting my FotF question in that asked about this exact thing, but im 110% in the same boat as you. The extra 10% is there because i don't want my modded creatures for whom one of defining features is that they're ridiculously loyal to their partners to just go from that, to acting like common whores.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 01, 2020, 08:30:39 pm »

New stuff

Social arc is coming up after Mythgen. That's when things get more nuanced and what is right or wrong for specific cultures can be defined (procedurally generated). Right now dwarves take lovers in order for villains to work. Full stop. That's it. Villains release, villains required simulation.

Right now it seems to be dependent only on personality, which you can mod. Other than that, suggestions forum is what you want.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 08:32:21 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2020, 08:40:27 pm »

Social arc is coming up after Mythgen. That's when things get more nuanced and what is right or wrong for specific cultures can be defined (procedurally generated). Right now dwarves take lovers in order for villains to work. Full stop. That's it. Villains release, villains required simulation.

Right now it seems to be dependent only on personality, which you can mod. Other than that, suggestions forum is what you want.

Yeah, but what facets actually control it? How do you minimize it?
I'd much rather have a way to just disable it.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16