Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.47.01 Released  (Read 98574 times)

alex-wev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.47.01 Released
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2020, 04:19:57 am »

It's to do with new things interacting badly during worldgen. The bigger the world, the longer the history the more likely it is to happen because more stuff is actually happening. New version release always starts like this. Nothing to do with memory probably.
Yes, i understand that. Actually, even if just each second try was successful, i'd be happy and didn't mention it.
But after i've read a bunch of messages about successful worldgens for medium/small worlds, and couldn't get it even single time for large one, decided to attract attention to it.

alex-wev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2020, 04:33:52 am »

Yes, i can confirm that "MOUNTAIN trying to generate musical form without speech or instruments." error doesn't relate to crash.
This time i even unpacked DF from the archive from the scratch and launched large region.
It crashed around 600th year (cannot say more presicely, since when crash occurs, it already doesn't redraw window, and i currently have to have another windows in foreground).
And no file with error messages appeared at all in the folder. Also the stderr.txt is empty.
The only file which appeared in folder, it the gamelog.txt with following contents:

*** STARTING NEW GAME ***
Generating world using parameter set LARGE REGION
 Seed: kKuGQqgQQ6ea0MOogMCI
 History Seed: kwceWqWa2e8u2AI2QSy6
 Name Seed: Si0uYCS4OeSMc8Is6ggs
 Creature Seed: o0aKUKqYsiGAgmuOgyqK

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2020, 04:35:39 am »

Thank you for the release !

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2020, 04:52:41 am »

Relating to an issue Talvieno posted, I've been having consistent CTD desktops on a heavier modded large world - usually between the 30-50 history range (had a similar CTD around year 60 on a vanilla large world). I'd guess if others are having similar CTD issues then its probably not mod related (worlds gen fine on 44.12 with the same rawset, its with 47.01 that I've been getting consistent CTDs.
No error message, just closes - no real indication of whats causing it, though, I did gen a shorter history world and it appears that while there's one fortress of the new variety (one with a circular symbol, rather than the omega symbol used for statues), there do not appear to be shrines or anything of the sort present.

EDIT: Small correction - what I thought was a fortress was actually a monastery. However when going there it only appears to be an empty building, a statue garden, another building with chairs and tables and a sort of communal bedroom. No dice to be found or anything.

EDIT 2: Did another test with divination and the experiments, lieutenants, ghouls, etc. disabled. Still crashes in the same year range.

EDIT 3: I just realized there's no towers in the world that I did get to gen. Perhaps has something to do with it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 06:56:40 pm by ZM5 »

alex-wev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2020, 05:27:53 am »

Tried another time Large Region - crashed without errorlog file or anything in stderr again, just with this in gamelog:
*** STARTING NEW GAME ***
 Seed: BnOUh6Sc0OxVtXBLfsd2
 History Seed: DYal2Wfk0RVSPYPcvDPQ
 Name Seed: R78BPaRVHUns2RVJLpRO
 Creature Seed: ijwiEEwg6eWP4D0G2tpm

Well, it looks like i cannot provide any additional/useful information, and even seeds are unimportant, as it probably will crash with any seed. Hopefully there will be possibility to fix this, despite it's probably that crash which Toady mentioned as occurring only in Release build mode :)

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2020, 05:28:00 am »

I really hope we will get Quantum-Computers before version 1.0 is released, with the amount of detail and simulation taking part in every aspect of the game, I'm sure this is needed.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

wormpattern

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2020, 05:38:39 am »

Are there any tilesets that can be used with new version?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2020, 07:19:30 am »

I really hope we will get Quantum-Computers before version 1.0 is released, with the amount of detail and simulation taking part in every aspect of the game, I'm sure this is needed.
Quantum computers would be useless for DF:
- They require a completely different kind of programming, so the DF code couldn't be used.
- They're fantastic on certain kinds of problems, but would be rather useless for general computing. It's similar to saying that graphics processors are so fast that CPUs should be replaced by GPUs. CPUs are general purpose, while GPUs (and quantum computers) are special purpose tools.

Are there any tilesets that can be used with new version?
Wrong thread. DF is delivered with the only tile set Toady provides, i.e. the character one, and I doubt he knows much of any of the others. For those you'd have to ask in their respective thread, or in a general forum where players might answer with what they've tried.

For crash seeds, I would guess the best bang for the bucks would be seed sets that result in a quick crash so Toady can investigate them without having to twiddle his thumbs for 40 minutes per attempt. Thus, an indication of how quickly it goes belly up would probably be useful.

alex-wev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2020, 07:25:12 am »

For crash seeds, I would guess the best bang for the bucks would be seed sets that result in a quick crash so Toady can investigate them without having to twiddle his thumbs for 40 minutes per attempt. Thus, an indication of how quickly it goes belly up would probably be useful.
Actually, good idea. I'll try to find some and post in case of success.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2020, 07:38:28 am »

Oh, just realized. If babies are controlling their mother's like horses, that means the new mount control AI was implemented into Fortress mode, right? So riders decide where to go, like in Adventurer.

So, does that mean the "amphibious mounts drown their riders" bug is now fixed?

(Asked about this in fotf a while ago and it wasn't certain if the AI would be implemented in Fortress mode).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2020, 07:42:12 am »

Humans and goblin entities are strongly prompted by [SPHERE_ALIGNMENT:WAR] to make religions that are palatable to dwarves leading to the increased amount of migration, and parents imparting the gods of their new residence to their children. War is a friend group of [RELIGION_SPHERE:FORTRESSES] specifically on this wiki list

Atleast that's where i think this is coming from, so im editing out or editing to cut down on the sphere alignment values so that it is balanced and there are some (love // hate) tension from generated religions for variety and blacklisting a few like [SPHERE_ALIGNMENT:CHAOS:0] from dwarves by setting the values to zero.

Oh, just realized. If babies are controlling their mother's like horses, that means the new mount control AI was implemented into Fortress mode, right? So riders decide where to go, like in Adventurer.

So, does that mean the "amphibious mounts drown their riders" bug is now fixed?

(Asked about this in fotf a while ago and it wasn't certain if the AI would be implemented in Fortress mode).

Very barely. Also Mantis reports strongly suggest, that the AI for riding is far from perfect in terms of pathfinding. But its exciting to think that accidental bug might bring the experience ever so slightly closer to us.

Or uh, a distinction to be made between riding on another person or being carried respectively.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:58:20 am by FantasticDorf »

alex-wev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2020, 08:23:26 am »

Bingo! With following seeds, the LARGE REGION worldgen consistently crashes at year 60:

Seed: R9icKscYxmcBKRtCCKZJ
 History Seed: hBfG6Elyz8LjyWsrdvla
 Name Seed: qaNwdLLoVokwx80c5tDr
 Creature Seed: 5D3t5tHiFMe444lmE1ej

LordBSD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2020, 08:59:30 am »

Hello, I didn't know where else to post so I am posting here I hope that's ok. I am trying to get the new build running on FreeBSD and have already made much progress. I had to remove all the libs in libs, and let it use the linux compatability ones on my system. Then it complained about libgraphics.so so I hunted that down and I can't remember what else I did. Anyway to the problem. When running, I get this:

Code: [Select]
root@core:/home/mike/df/df_linux # ./df
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt
Unknown binding: CHOOSE_NAME_FIRST
Unknown binding: A_CONV_PERSUADE
Unknown binding: A_CONV_INTIMIDATE
Unknown binding: A_ASSUME_IDENTITY_NEW
Unknown binding: A_ASSUME_IDENTITY_NONE
Unknown binding: A_ASSUME_IDENTITY_NAME
Unknown binding: A_ASSUME_IDENTITY_ORIGIN
Unknown binding: A_ASSUME_IDENTITY_PROFESSION
Unknown binding: A_ASSUME_IDENTITY_WORSHIP
Unknown binding: A_TACTICAL_SETTINGS
Unknown binding: HOTKEY_BUILDING_DISPLAY_FURNITURE
Unknown binding: CIV_RAID
Unknown binding: CIV_CENTER_ON_FORT
Unknown binding: CIV_HOLDINGS
Unknown binding: CIV_MAP_LEGEND
Unknown binding: CIV_REMOVE_MISSION
Unknown binding: CIV_RESCUE
Unknown binding: CIV_RECOVER
Unknown binding: CIV_WORLD
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSIONS
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_DETAILS
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_FREE_CAPTIVES
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_RELEASE_OTHERS
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_TAKE_ARTIFACTS
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_TAKE_ITEMS
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_TAKE_LIVESTOCK
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_RAID
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_PILLAGE
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_RAZE
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_TRIBUTE_ONE_TIME
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_TRIBUTE_ONGOING
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_CONQUER
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_DEMAND_SURRENDER
Unknown binding: CIV_NEWS
Unknown binding: CIV_PEOPLE
Unknown binding: CIV_ARTIFACTS
Unknown binding: CIV_CIVS
Unknown binding: CSHEET_BACKGROUND
Unknown binding: CSHEET_NEW_CHARACTER
Unknown binding: CSHEET_SKILLS
Unknown binding: CSHEET_APPEARANCE
Unknown binding: CSHEET_PERSONALITY
Unknown binding: CSHEET_EQUIPMENT
Unknown binding: CSHEET_PETS
Unknown binding: CSHEET_RANDOMIZE_BACKGROUND
Unknown binding: CSHEET_SELECT_BACKGROUND_OPTION
Unknown binding: CSHEET_WORSHIP_UP
Unknown binding: CSHEET_WORSHIP_DOWN
Unknown binding: CSHEET_NEW_ITEM
Unknown binding: CSHEET_QUALITY_UP
Unknown binding: CSHEET_QUALITY_DOWN
Unknown binding: CSHEET_NAME_PET
Unknown binding: CSHEET_REMOVE_PET
Unknown binding: CSHEET_ADD_PET
Unknown binding: A_LOG_SORT
Unknown binding: A_LOG_PIN
Unknown binding: A_LOG_ARTIFACTS
Unknown binding: A_LOG_INTRIGUE
Unknown binding: BUILDJOB_NAME
Unknown binding: BUILDJOB_DISPLAY_FURNITURE_SET
Unknown binding: BUILDJOB_DISPLAY_FURNITURE_CANCEL
Unknown binding: D_BITEM_NAME
Unknown binding: ARENA_CREATURE_TAME
Unknown binding: A_BARTER_SHOW
Unknown binding: ANNOUNCE_ZOOM_2
Unknown binding: JUSTICE_INTERROGATE
Unknown binding: JUSTICE_COUNTERINTELLIGENCE
Unknown binding: CIVZONE_NAME
Unknown binding: UNITVIEW_PRF_EXPEL
Unknown binding: LOCATION_GUILDHALL
Unknown binding: LOCATION_RECOGNIZE_PRIESTHOOD

Why am I getting those errors on a fresh install? Is that from using the older libgraphics.so I found? Is libgraphics.so and the game itself linked, like is libgraphics.so a library in general or specific to DF? How can I fix this I almost have it running. Thank you so much. Once this is done I will make a freebsd port and maintain it. I will also post it here I know somewhere buried in this forum there are people that run FreeBSD too and would love to have a port as the current one has been outdated for YEARS with no focus on it.

Those are all relatively new key bindings...  is it an old version of the linux DF side of things?  I don't remember all how that is set up, but the keybindings.cpp file etc. that's distributed with the linux version has all those definitions, and those would be the ones that don't show up if an older version is being used against a more recent interface.txt.  It might be that old version bit you are mentioning over there.  It needs to use the new code to build, however they are building it.
Yeah, I realize they are all the new bindings (PRIEST for ex.) its like I "moved" something from the old DF and clobbered (put it on top) of the new DF but I am almost certain I did not which is strange. If I look in interface.txt all those missing binds are in there, so they must be missing somewhere "else", but where? i am using the new init.txt the new d_init.txt and the only thing I copied over I had to find myself was libgraphics.so. But if that is the culprit, why doesnt DF come with it's own copy of it? I am going to keep trying and see where it leads me. Thanks!

Hey. Toady. No it's not old this is the linux download off of your site as of lastnight. I just started with a completely fresh copy of DF for linux off of the site, didnt touch a thing to test except to put these in "libs"

$ ls -al
total 22984
drwxrwx---  2 mike  wheel       512 Jan 30 00:59 .
drwxrwx---  7 mike  wheel       512 Jan 30 09:20 ..
-rwxrwx---  1 mike  wheel  20678376 Jan 29 10:45 Dwarf_Fortress
lrwxrwx---  1 mike  wheel        17 Jul 28  2013 libGLEW.so.1.10 -> libGLEW.so.1.10.0
-rwxrwx---  1 mike  wheel    563504 Jul 28  2013 libGLEW.so.1.10.0
-rwxrwx---  1 mike  wheel   2109376 Aug 26  2017 libgraphics.so
$

(or it wont run at all.) and I get the same result with missing keybindings. Can anyone confirm they are using the linux version download from the site without these issues. This makes NO sense to me!!

**update. I just confirmed this only happens on FreeBSD df fires right up on my arch linux box. I don't know where to go from here maybe ill just wait until someone can help more.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 10:04:53 am by LordBSD »

LordBSD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2020, 10:14:44 am »

Hello, I didn't know where else to post so I am posting here I hope that's ok. I am trying to get the new build running on FreeBSD and have already made much progress. I had to remove all the libs in libs, and let it use the linux compatability ones on my system. Then it complained about libgraphics.so so I hunted that down and I can't remember what else I did. Anyway to the problem. When running, I get this:

Code: [Select]
root@core:/home/mike/df/df_linux # ./df
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt
Unknown binding: CHOOSE_NAME_FIRST
Unknown binding: A_CONV_PERSUADE
Unknown binding: A_CONV_INTIMIDATE
Unknown binding: A_ASSUME_IDENTITY_NEW
Unknown binding: A_ASSUME_IDENTITY_NONE
Unknown binding: A_ASSUME_IDENTITY_NAME
Unknown binding: A_ASSUME_IDENTITY_ORIGIN
Unknown binding: A_ASSUME_IDENTITY_PROFESSION
Unknown binding: A_ASSUME_IDENTITY_WORSHIP
Unknown binding: A_TACTICAL_SETTINGS
Unknown binding: HOTKEY_BUILDING_DISPLAY_FURNITURE
Unknown binding: CIV_RAID
Unknown binding: CIV_CENTER_ON_FORT
Unknown binding: CIV_HOLDINGS
Unknown binding: CIV_MAP_LEGEND
Unknown binding: CIV_REMOVE_MISSION
Unknown binding: CIV_RESCUE
Unknown binding: CIV_RECOVER
Unknown binding: CIV_WORLD
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSIONS
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_DETAILS
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_FREE_CAPTIVES
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_RELEASE_OTHERS
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_TAKE_ARTIFACTS
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_TAKE_ITEMS
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_TAKE_LIVESTOCK
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_RAID
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_PILLAGE
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_RAZE
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_TRIBUTE_ONE_TIME
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_TRIBUTE_ONGOING
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_CONQUER
Unknown binding: CIV_MISSION_DEMAND_SURRENDER
Unknown binding: CIV_NEWS
Unknown binding: CIV_PEOPLE
Unknown binding: CIV_ARTIFACTS
Unknown binding: CIV_CIVS
Unknown binding: CSHEET_BACKGROUND
Unknown binding: CSHEET_NEW_CHARACTER
Unknown binding: CSHEET_SKILLS
Unknown binding: CSHEET_APPEARANCE
Unknown binding: CSHEET_PERSONALITY
Unknown binding: CSHEET_EQUIPMENT
Unknown binding: CSHEET_PETS
Unknown binding: CSHEET_RANDOMIZE_BACKGROUND
Unknown binding: CSHEET_SELECT_BACKGROUND_OPTION
Unknown binding: CSHEET_WORSHIP_UP
Unknown binding: CSHEET_WORSHIP_DOWN
Unknown binding: CSHEET_NEW_ITEM
Unknown binding: CSHEET_QUALITY_UP
Unknown binding: CSHEET_QUALITY_DOWN
Unknown binding: CSHEET_NAME_PET
Unknown binding: CSHEET_REMOVE_PET
Unknown binding: CSHEET_ADD_PET
Unknown binding: A_LOG_SORT
Unknown binding: A_LOG_PIN
Unknown binding: A_LOG_ARTIFACTS
Unknown binding: A_LOG_INTRIGUE
Unknown binding: BUILDJOB_NAME
Unknown binding: BUILDJOB_DISPLAY_FURNITURE_SET
Unknown binding: BUILDJOB_DISPLAY_FURNITURE_CANCEL
Unknown binding: D_BITEM_NAME
Unknown binding: ARENA_CREATURE_TAME
Unknown binding: A_BARTER_SHOW
Unknown binding: ANNOUNCE_ZOOM_2
Unknown binding: JUSTICE_INTERROGATE
Unknown binding: JUSTICE_COUNTERINTELLIGENCE
Unknown binding: CIVZONE_NAME
Unknown binding: UNITVIEW_PRF_EXPEL
Unknown binding: LOCATION_GUILDHALL
Unknown binding: LOCATION_RECOGNIZE_PRIESTHOOD

Why am I getting those errors on a fresh install? Is that from using the older libgraphics.so I found? Is libgraphics.so and the game itself linked, like is libgraphics.so a library in general or specific to DF? How can I fix this I almost have it running. Thank you so much. Once this is done I will make a freebsd port and maintain it. I will also post it here I know somewhere buried in this forum there are people that run FreeBSD too and would love to have a port as the current one has been outdated for YEARS with no focus on it.

Those are all relatively new key bindings...  is it an old version of the linux DF side of things?  I don't remember all how that is set up, but the keybindings.cpp file etc. that's distributed with the linux version has all those definitions, and those would be the ones that don't show up if an older version is being used against a more recent interface.txt.  It might be that old version bit you are mentioning over there.  It needs to use the new code to build, however they are building it.
Yeah, I realize they are all the new bindings (PRIEST for ex.) its like I "moved" something from the old DF and clobbered (put it on top) of the new DF but I am almost certain I did not which is strange. If I look in interface.txt all those missing binds are in there, so they must be missing somewhere "else", but where? i am using the new init.txt the new d_init.txt and the only thing I copied over I had to find myself was libgraphics.so. But if that is the culprit, why doesnt DF come with it's own copy of it? I am going to keep trying and see where it leads me. Thanks!

Hey. Toady. No it's not old this is the linux download off of your site as of lastnight. I just started with a completely fresh copy of DF for linux off of the site, didnt touch a thing to test except to put these in "libs"

$ ls -al
total 22984
drwxrwx---  2 mike  wheel       512 Jan 30 00:59 .
drwxrwx---  7 mike  wheel       512 Jan 30 09:20 ..
-rwxrwx---  1 mike  wheel  20678376 Jan 29 10:45 Dwarf_Fortress
lrwxrwx---  1 mike  wheel        17 Jul 28  2013 libGLEW.so.1.10 -> libGLEW.so.1.10.0
-rwxrwx---  1 mike  wheel    563504 Jul 28  2013 libGLEW.so.1.10.0
-rwxrwx---  1 mike  wheel   2109376 Aug 26  2017 libgraphics.so
$

(or it wont run at all.) and I get the same result with missing keybindings. Can anyone confirm they are using the linux version download from the site without these issues. This makes NO sense to me!!

**update. I just confirmed this only happens on FreeBSD df fires right up on my arch linux box. I don't know where to go from here maybe ill just wait until someone can help more.

****last update

I got it working. I dont even know what i did besides start over and do what I did with dependencies and libs to get it working. I will have a port soon. Thanks!

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2020, 10:30:30 am »

"Interrogation." Now, we just need to allow for our sheriffs, hammerdwarves and "captain of the guard" to be able to interrogate prisoners in fortress mode then watch the blood flow.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16