Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.47.01 Released  (Read 98550 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.47.01 Released
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2020, 01:27:13 pm »

Has anyone worked out how to build altars in Fortress mode yet? It's a super common question. They can be created in the Craftdwarf's workshop, for sure.

They're not constructable, just a piece of world construction or its a UI oversight on Toadys part/placeholder/wasn't aware? To that effect maybe we need a token like [WORLD_GENERATION_ONLY] at the item.txt files to stop it bleeding into Fortress mode

You can order and build them via the job manager (j->m).
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2020, 01:32:41 pm »

A POSSIBLE BUG:

The Mountainhome of one of my dwarven civilizations was taken by demonic forces in the year 80. I looked to find where the Queen would have moved to but I found out that she simply... stayed there. She lived on in the former Mountainhome (now controlled by a goblin civ) until she was expelled years later over religious disagreements. Then I looked up where she went to and thought "Well, at least now I'll know where the new Mountainhome is" but no, she ended up in a Forest Retreat for some reason lol And then I looked up her son and heir and he lived with the Goblins all the way until he became King and then he... continued living there lol Until he was also banished for religious reasons to the same forest retreat his mother lived in. This is rather confusing.

EDIT: Just saw that the granddaughter, who became Queen after her father, lived in a completely different city until she became Queen. After becoming Queen she actually moved to the old Mountainhome even though it is being controlled by goblins! It seems the game still thinks the place is the legitimate Mountainhome even after it was conquered. I also saw that all of them became Members of the Goblin Civ. They are also members of the normal Dwarven civ too though.

I have just confirmed that all the Kings of my dwarven Civ treat the now conquered Mountainhome as if it still was the Mountainhome. They always move to it if they already weren't living there (they go there even before becoming Kings sometimes, which seems to show that citizens from the Dwarven Civ have freedom of movement inside the conquered city). This is rather weird and I really doubt it isn't a bug.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2020, 01:52:04 pm »

You can order and build them via the job manager (j->m).

They can't be placed down though, i think i just explained poorly. They're in the crafts workshop menu too under stone (and i assume somewhere on furniture for metal given the item type).

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2020, 02:04:47 pm »

I can also confirm now that "breaching the underworld" is very very common. To the point that, so far (after some 300 years of game), the Underworld was breached in the same city twice. First it was breached and the demonic goblin hord took over. Then they were defeated by another civ. Then this civ breached the underworld in the same city lol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2020, 04:12:35 pm »

Any one of those features would be game changing for me. Now I can finally ride around on a magma crab in adventure mode

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2020, 04:50:35 pm »

I have a feeling this is not what the priest meant when he said "hand in marriage". lol It seems King Asën married a hand in the end of his life, after having this hand as a lover for 2 years. I swear, Dwarf Fortress bugs are hilarious lol

Ah, I just saw that the hand of Udir has a name. It's "Goden Limbmined the hand of Udir, deceased spouse, b. 256 d. 379". This was on the Related Historical Figures part of Asën's file. Could be that a hand of Udir is a revived corpse or something.
I think its just the game retroactively changing description of Goden from a dwarf to that experiment type. Same thing happens with fort mode dwarves that come back as ghosts or people who were changed into night troll spouses, i.e Urist the dwarf became a night troll's spouse in 100, but all descriptions of him prior to year 100 also refer to him as a night troll's spouse even though he wasnt one yet.

Makes sense. It can get confusing at times lol
Yeah, it's always been this way (night trolls) but it's a lot more common now, with experiments and lieutenants and stuff. Might be about time to think about how to change this age old behaviour.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2020, 05:01:43 pm »

I can also confirm now that "breaching the underworld" is very very common. To the point that, so far (after some 300 years of game), the Underworld was breached in the same city twice. First it was breached and the demonic goblin hord took over. Then they were defeated by another civ. Then this civ breached the underworld in the same city lol

I’m a little disappointed it wasn’t the first demon civ causing the second breach without any dwarven interlopers. I wonder if that could happen though, I wonder what controls it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2020, 05:04:16 pm »

I’m a little disappointed it wasn’t the first demon civ causing the second breach without any dwarven interlopers. I wonder if that could happen though, I wonder what controls it.
You don't need a Dwarf civ to do it. Human civs are just as capable (probably needs a fortress though). Haven't seen a goblin do it yet, but unless it's hardcoded not to, it seems reasonable that they might.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2020, 06:07:57 pm »

Nice fast one for you.

Small region. (Set for 1050 years with Megabeast cutoff of 50 starting at year 250. in case it makes a difference)
Crashes at year 208 (doesn't take long to get there)

Seed: 2XURWJBNecN0GYWd4vic
 History Seed: FCjdQ4im7tEDMLzDCJho
 Name Seed: lMrVEJzKIF6OQJ3qTJ5F
 Creature Seed: rLU9sCkkiAoJ5SHpmsye
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 06:15:09 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2020, 06:11:50 pm »

ok so fun tid bit some how this thing came up when I messed with mounts in dfhack in the older version, but anyone with no air control like flying can't move when they are in the air, so this means like say if you have a flying mount and decided to lift off the adventurer would be stuck in a flying state and be frozen softlock unable to move, while the mount is waiting for the adventurer's next command.
so basically the one weird oddity that happens if you toggle the ghostly flag and lifted yourself up can happen to the player and the only solution to fix that was to toggle on the flier flag that's in the unit enemy caste section.

though this happen to me in a mod, this does prevent players from experiencing joy of taking a flightless character and getting around that with a flying mount.
and forces them to play a flying character to fly around on a flying mount.

which reminds me I think things that swim also fall under this as you can control of your adventurer when swimming but that's only due to the process is like being in the air next to a 3/7 or more amount of water which lets you move around.

so if anyone has a flying mount bad news you be stuck in the air and can't move, worst news time isn't frozen and your character will age and slowly starve and dehydrate themselves to death. which then if you have a second adventurer you can tab over to them, but like several days would have pass when you do.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2020, 06:17:53 pm »

Most excellent. Wonder if it is population count, or wealth amount, or years-passing-count that triggers it in worldgen.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 06:20:42 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2020, 06:45:18 pm »

Now I've actually gone into adventure mode. Turns out bridges in elven settlements (over a brook no less) are made out of "rock blocks". Generic rock... doesn't seem to fit!

Loving everything else though (thus far). Well except the fact there's only one dwarven fortress that's not been overrun (possibly multiple times). And apparently I can't get directions to "Drinkhide" which is the "market".

Edit: Also except the fact we can't also harvest these brown recluse spider silk webs... yet. Oh well.

Most excellent. Wonder if it is population count, or wealth amount, or years-passing-count that triggers it in worldgen.

This is a good question. Of course, if you have your dwarves dig straight down in normal embark... you could breach it very quickly. Also is there a limit to the number of times the underworld can be breached (I'd guess, limited by adamantine spires or bad decisions when removing floors or walls)?

Edit 2: "... and then the goblin said, are you going to eat that?"

Dwarf fortress keeps getting better and better.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:24:54 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2020, 07:04:46 pm »

You don't need a Dwarf civ to do it. Human civs are just as capable (probably needs a fortress though). Haven't seen a goblin do it yet, but unless it's hardcoded not to, it seems reasonable that they might.

I can also confirm this. The first civ was Dwarven but the second civ was Human.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
crash in adventure mode Mac-x64
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2020, 07:36:02 pm »

Just in case it helps, I got a crash on Mac-x64 version when embarking on adventure mode using default world-gen except for switching world size to pocket. I tried again only with a world with a short history instead of medium and the same thing happened.

Fortress mode seems to work fine.

Sorry if you're already aware. Let me know if you want me to test anything or something.

Quote from: Crash summary:
Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

full crash report: https://pastebin.com/qRn7ghDu

Spoiler: gamelog.txt (click to show/hide)

Edit: Third time's the charm. Tried a third time with a small world with shortest possible history. This time was the first time it let me pick a race. The first two times I only had the option of human, and at least on the first one, the default starting location was a lair.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:46:56 pm by jecowa »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2020, 07:40:13 pm »

I can also confirm this. The first civ was Dwarven but the second civ was Human.
Ah, just checked through a world which breached the circus 20(!) times over 300 years and I've found a case where goblins were the culprits.
The Confusing Furious Hell and their Pale Blue Brute leader were released by the goblins of The Hot Cruelty.
180 years before this, The Hot Cruelty themselves and their Buffalo Brute leader were unleashed by a Dwarf civ.

All of the breaches appear to take place in either a Fortress or a Mountain Halls.
And in the same world it happened once before as the Umbral Thief of Fortifying were unleashed by The Devil of Silencing.

Curiously enough, now that I look at it, some of the demons actually are worshippers of Dwarven Gods.
Uklar Yelloozes the Pulp of Larvae, Vomit Monster, is a 93% worshipper of the Dwarven Goddess of Fortresses.
Confusedwitch the Unholy, Monkey Brute, is a 93% worshipper of Arban, Dwarven Goddess of Oaths and Salt.
Sath Ghosturns the Fatal, Panda Fiend, is a 93% worshipper of Sulysoldiers the Whispy, Dwarven Goddess of the Night.
etc. 

Unleashed from the underworld to discover religion.

For all of the Hell breaching, this world has a fairly similar goblin population to most other Medium regions I've generated:
        20962 Dwarves
   90000 Humans
   35131 Elves
   230659 Goblins
   816 Kobolds

Although, that's about 10-15k more Dwarves than I've been generally been getting.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:10:16 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16