Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.47.01 Released  (Read 98580 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.47.01 Released
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2020, 05:56:56 pm »

wondering if setting the world gen stop rate to earlier would have any affect on the speed necromancers would experiment, or is there a fix but Extremely Long rate necromancers and demons would take to start pumping out experiments. knowing what year would be perfect to stop at could help cut down on the slow process of generating longer worlds.
so far from my experience stopping the game around 120 would produce results but depending on the world size that might take a while to load in.

Maybe if he adds a way for experiments to die (right now they have  [NO_DRINK] [NO_EAT] and no maxage defined so they just live forever.(Someone extracted a bunch of the raws on the modding forum)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 05:59:18 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2020, 06:23:57 pm »

Quote from: jecowa
Just in case it helps, I got a crash on Mac-x64 version when embarking on adventure mode using default world-gen except for switching world size to pocket. I tried again only with a world with a short history instead of medium and the same thing happened.

Fortress mode seems to work fine.

If that means there's a save where you can start in adv mode with a reproducible crash that's definitely useful.  If it's intermittent it'll be harder to find.

Here's two saves files that both crash when starting Adventure Mode. They both crashed 3 times so far when trying.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14696

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2020, 06:36:36 pm »

Are castles actually working?
I've not spotted one yet. They should appear in Legends Mode "Sites", right?

7025 sites in my current Medium region world. No castle. Monastery spam across the land though.
I believe you should be looking for Fortresses, unfortunately the same name as main dwarven settlements.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2020, 06:40:53 pm »

Quote from: jecowa
Just in case it helps, I got a crash on Mac-x64 version when embarking on adventure mode using default world-gen except for switching world size to pocket. I tried again only with a world with a short history instead of medium and the same thing happened.

Fortress mode seems to work fine.

If that means there's a save where you can start in adv mode with a reproducible crash that's definitely useful.  If it's intermittent it'll be harder to find.

Here's two saves files that both crash when starting Adventure Mode. They both crashed 3 times so far when trying.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14696

Ah, this appears to be the outsider crash.  Fixed for next time.  Thanks!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 31, 2020, 06:42:22 pm »

Are castles actually working?
I've not spotted one yet. They should appear in Legends Mode "Sites", right?

7025 sites in my current Medium region world. No castle. Monastery spam across the land though.
I believe you should be looking for Fortresses, unfortunately the same name as main dwarven settlements.
Wait, a castles is a "fortress"? That's...annoying.
Why name every other site but that one? Fort, tower, monastery, keep, tower, fortress and fortress?!

--edit
Found some now, thanks!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 06:56:16 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #155 on: January 31, 2020, 07:02:44 pm »

Ack, whoops.  I had some weird reason for calling it a fortress, I think because it might not have been owned/inhabitated by a noble in the future, but I'll just call it a castle.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 31, 2020, 09:07:14 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
Ack.  The doors are bad.  Thinking about leaving adv mode doors open longer/permanently (but closable).  All pets are historical, so they shouldn't be deleted, but I did have trouble with my large birds especially just flying all over the place.  I use 'c' to keep tabs on them a bit -- do we know more about when they left?  Did they not follow in 't'ravel or were they already offloaded locally before that?

We started in a house and they were close. Then I left them and started exploring a bit - the villlage was empty, though it was said before starting that some people lived there - and then noticed they weren't following me and had disappeared from the 'c 'menu. I went back to the starting house, and they weren't there, nor there were any tracks. I got carried away and generated another world, so I don't know what happened to them.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 31, 2020, 10:02:52 pm »

Ack, whoops.  I had some weird reason for calling it a fortress, I think because it might not have been owned/inhabitated by a noble in the future, but I'll just call it a castle.
Speaking of "castles"... I can't sleep in the one I started in. Instead I get the "You cannot rest until you leave this site." message. My info does say I am a member of the civilization and site government.

Edit: I found my chieftess:
You: I am your loyal .  What do you command?
The chieftess Atu Sloronnako: You must kill the eye of <8A>rith Ngom Savedmonster.  This evil being threatens our people with its very presence.  Seek your foe in the fortress of Workpant.  This vile fiend murdered Rig<95>th Whisperedposts!  Our hopes travel with you.

So I am a guard here. Though there seems to have been some issue generating the position name.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 10:39:35 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 31, 2020, 10:10:04 pm »

Speaking of "castles"... I can't sleep in the one I started in. Instead I get the "You cannot rest until you leave this site." message. My info does say I am a member of the civilization and site government.
Now that we can select our site I think we'll see a lot more complaints about this kind of weird behaviour when starting in what were "edge case" sites. Not being able to fast travel when you start in the middle of of a big Dark Pits site that your civ took over during worldgen for example.

(Just found you can't fast travel or rest at a Tower either, even if it's your home).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 02:06:27 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 31, 2020, 11:51:13 pm »

Just generated a medium region and gave goblins a max starting civ of 0.

By the end of the 300 years (in the 11th Age of Myth) there are 9 goblin civs and goblins outnumbers Dwarves 3:1. Should be called the Age of Greed...
Elves seem to be doing slightly better than they usually do.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2020, 03:58:24 am »

Now that we can select our site I think we'll see a lot more complaints about this kind of weird behaviour when starting in what were "edge case" sites. Not being able to fast travel when you start in the middle of of a big Dark Pits site that your civ took over during worldgen for example.

(Just found you can't fast travel or rest at a Tower either, even if it's your home).

I take to understand that since 'castles'/fortresses are generated by [BUILDS_OUTDOOR_FORTIFICATIONS] they're as active as the trenches outside of Goblin sites (who also seem to build castles now) in itself which stop you sleeping at goblin sites altogether until the token is removed and world regenerated, except this active fortification is elsewhere in the world other than a minor/market site and you can spawn there.

Maybe they just need more names and code diversification in order to make sense per site type (like splitting up castle building to a new token), i have a list enclosed of some common synonyms. Elves with their dungeons, and missing map-site stuff like throne rooms inside 'Palaces' etc. Though honestly im starting to sound too suggestion'y for my own good.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 04:01:28 am by FantasticDorf »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2020, 09:07:30 am »

Or, you know, it might just be you can't rest/write at smaller sites safely. I've had the same problem with player forts and a couple of dwarven forts. (and is reported as a bug: https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10111)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2020, 09:20:36 am »

Something weird is going on with wars.

In two different worlds now, I have a situation where it looks like several different civs join forces, and repeatedly attack one single site to the exclusion of all else, without taking control of it.

There is literally one giant war spanning a thousand years, that consists of nothing but a giant mob of thousands of different people's armies roflstomping a handful of defenders (and sometimes just walking in uncontested), pillaging the site (so far both times it was a "Fort" site type), and... not doing anything else until some months later, when everything repeats.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2020, 09:54:50 am »

Something weird is going on with wars.

In two different worlds now, I have a situation where it looks like several different civs join forces, and repeatedly attack one single site to the exclusion of all else, without taking control of it.

There is literally one giant war spanning a thousand years, that consists of nothing but a giant mob of thousands of different people's armies roflstomping a handful of defenders (and sometimes just walking in uncontested), pillaging the site (so far both times it was a "Fort" site type), and... not doing anything else until some months later, when everything repeats.

Sounds like the 'castle' fort bug (here's the mantis report), i had a similar experience on my world where they couldn't make any sort of achievable peace deal or gain so they pillaged it upwards of a 100 times across a few ages. Quite probably linked to the site not being able to be conquered by a puppet or the civ it belongs to doesn't care to call a peace deal over it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2020, 10:03:52 am »

Sounds like the 'castle' fort bug (here's the mantis report), i had a similar experience on my world where they couldn't make any sort of achievable peace deal or gain so they pillaged it upwards of a 100 times across a few ages. Quite probably linked to the site not being able to be conquered by a puppet or the civ it belongs to doesn't care to call a peace deal over it.

Hm.
Perhaps, if for whatever reason the attackers can't or don't want to occupy the fort, they should be able to raze it? Turn it into ruins that can't be occupied again.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16